Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2012, 04:21 AM   #1
BMW JEEP OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
2005 R1200GS Brake Situation

Howdy all,
First thread, so be gentle. (BTW, can't do a search from my Droid.)
Just bought a used '05 from A&S in Sacramento. The bike was a very recent trade-in and other than their cursery trade in eval ride, they had not yet done the service turn-around, so I sort of did the first test ride. Everything was great ( has Ohlins), but it had a very noticable pulsation in the front brake. It has (as I understand it after riding a '01 R1150GS) the servo-assist partially linked ABS. They evaluated it and sent it out to a local guru for spoke re-allignment. Two weeks later, picked it up and it still has a very noticeable pulsation in the front that seems to increase with harder stopping.
The dealership is inviting me to bring it back for another evaluation, and said they'll help with any existing brake problem.

So, I'm wondering, if the wheel is straight, could there have been eventual modification of the disc(s) and/or pads by it being ridden with the un-tuned wheel?

They are going to evaluate.it, but have already suggested that it might just be me not being used to the servo assist. Thought of turning ABS off, but my understanding is that the servos still operate under residual braking.
Any thoughts if the the brakes have neen irreversibly affected or worn and may need replaced?

Thanks very much for any info or advise.
Curt

“Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.” ― John Lennon
BMW JEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:38 AM   #2
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,688
brake pad material transfers to the rotor surface. You can see the color change. then you have pad rubbing on pad, so no rotor wear. This is normally good, BUT

if you brake hard and get the rotor hot, and then sit when the pads pressed against the rotor, you can transfer more material at that spot. During a test ride this often happens, after all you are seeing if the brakes are good.

I put a dial indicator on the rotor and check, if not warped this is what it is.

The fix is to sand the rotor then do a couple of hard slow downs without stopping the transfer new material.

different pads do this to different degree.If you brake hard let the tire roll a little bit when you stop and sit with the brakes off. it may not occur for you. Sometimes not easy where you live.

in that case you might need a different pad brand, and I can not help there, I pace ride and my brakes last forever.

Rod
ragtoplvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:49 AM   #3
BMW JEEP OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks very much, Rod. I'll ask about that after they re-evaluate.
I'not familiar with the technique or concept of 'pace ride'. Would you please elaborate on that? Might be something I need to try to avoid future similar issues.
Thanks, Curt

“Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.” ― John Lennon
Old 11-11-2012, 04:50 AM   #4
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
I have a 05, pulsation is not normal on them, has nothing to do with the servo or ABS.
If a front rotor is warped you will have pulsation. But on a 05 I think pulsation is usually caused from a build up of Pad material on the front rotors.
This can happen from holding the front brake on hard while stopped and the rotors are hot. Lightly sanding the rotors with 100 grit may fix your issue.
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:55 AM   #5
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
I have a 05, pulsation is not normal on them, has nothing to do with the servo or ABS.
If a front rotor is warped you will have pulsation. But on a 05 I think pulsation is usually caused from a build up of Pad material on the front rotors.
This can happen from holding the front brake on hard while stopped and the rotors are hot. Lightly sanding the rotors with 100 grit may fix your issue.
This.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:58 AM   #6
BMW JEEP OP
Gnarly Adventurer

That's two votes for dirty rotors as a cause, think I'll try the sanding idea before riding a 90 mile round trip and half day sitting sround at the dealership. Thanks.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:12 AM   #7
LaurelPerryOnLand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,416
Mr. Sandman...bring me MY BRAKES back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyeager View Post
That's two votes for dirty rotors as a cause, think I'll try the sanding idea before riding a 90 mile round trip and half day sitting round at the dealership. Thanks.
Yup...that's the general consensus and most likely solution.

Curt...since you're 'new',
Also..try this as a resource:
100 THREADS all GS/GSA riders should read:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836736

12. WHY ARE MY BRAKES SO GRABBY?
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=838082
LaurelPerryOnLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:29 AM   #8
Swinefahrt
RooteR

Oddometer: 570
Does the bike have wire wheels? I don't believe abs has anything to do with the pulsing or "juddering" as BMW terms it.

My '07 non-servo abs wire wheel brakes pulsed when new. BMW replaced my original rotors under warranty when the bike had about 7K miles. The replacement rotors started pulsing in about 5K. BMW wouldn't replace them because they were still within spec.

After the two year warranty ran out on the replacement rotors my dealership admitted that the rotors were out of spec and should be replaced again. The cost of the OEM rotors was twice the cost of Galpher wave rotors which I chose for replacement. I also replaced the BMW pads with Galpher pads.

I could tell that these new rotors had the slightest pulsing within a few miles of riding. After 5K the rotors began to pulse to the point that I was afraid I would drop the bike in a slow speed turn. I've sanded the rotors and I admit this seems to help but its only temporary. I am diligent to use only the rear brake when stopped for prolong periods so as not to over heat the front wheel rotors causing warping.

Currently my front wheel is enroute to Woody's Wheel Works. Its possible the hub rotor mounting might need machining to ensure rotor trueness. If the wheel and hub are true the only recourse will be to buy the latest iteration rotors from BMW that will fit my '07 wheels$$$.

If its got tits or wheels, it'll give you problems!

Swinefahrt screwed with this post 11-11-2012 at 07:36 AM
Swinefahrt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:32 AM   #9
Monsignore
Plunger Boy

Oddometer: 883
I, too, have a '05 GS (I'm the 3rd owner). 57,xxx miles. No pulsation from my front brakes.

IBA # 55612
Monsignore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:41 AM   #10
Charleetho
Mr. Zoom Zoom

Oddometer: 1,673
My 05 had a pulsing when I used the front brake lever. It turned out to be the rear rotor. Remember, we have linked brakes. I replaced the rotor with a new OEM and all pulsing when away.
2012 FJR1300, 05 R1200GS, 99 ATK490, 1993 Ducati 900SS, (must stop looking in Flea Market!)
Charleetho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:50 AM   #11
Swinefahrt
RooteR

Oddometer: 570
Exactly. I know the front brake lever links both front and rear brakes but when I apply only the rear brake there is no pulsing. That leaves the front wheel as the culprit.

If its got tits or wheels, it'll give you problems!
Swinefahrt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #12
BMW JEEP OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks to all for your time, thoughts and savy advice. I don't post much, but I do enjoy frequently reading this forum and there is something to glean, a lesson to be learned, or food for future thought in nearly every thread on here.
Overall, a very congenial and helpful bunch of folks.
I'll be working with the replies here on this current issue and look forward to a lot of interesting reading as I intend to get going on the recommended 100 GS threads.
Ride safe, have fun and thanks for being here.
Curt

BMW JEEP screwed with this post 11-11-2012 at 05:38 PM Reason: spelling correction
Old 11-11-2012, 05:14 PM   #13
pedalmike
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 140
Curt: Check with A&S to make sure there is no service bulletin re: the front rotors for your bike. On my 2007 GS, BMW had a bulletin to replace the the front rotors with newer design pieces that had different dimensions where the rotor attached to the hub and possibly different fasteners. At the time I investigated this re: my bike, BMW would only replace rotors where the customer had a complaint of brake pulsation and the servicing dealer could verify the complaint.

If you need more info send me a PM. I may still have the service bulletin archived that was sent to me by the parts manager at Irv Seaver BMW in CA.

Mike
pedalmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:44 PM   #14
BMW JEEP OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thank you Mike. I'll check into that if the rotor sanding doesn't help. I remember the salesman saying they checked for recall items during prep. But, if the customer must complain (good to know!), and has to bring it up to be addressed, I wouldn't have known to ask without you pointing it out. Thanks!

Old 11-14-2012, 05:04 AM   #15
BMW JEEP OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Update on Situation

I decided not to try sanding or anything, didn't want to alter it in any way. Just took it back to A&S (I'm traveling and a friend of mine in the A&S Parts Dept. helped take it in). Talked to them yesterday, and they verfied that it was in deed grabbing and promised to make it right rgardless of process or expense.

Good 'ol A&S, been dealing with them for 5 years and they have always done me right. Will post the final diagnosis and fix when all is done.

Curt