User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #1
VerdiBaritone OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
advice for STRAPPing skis to my GSA

Need to get my son's skis back home for him to start ski team practice.
Need to strap 2 pairs of GS skis to bike.

I figure diagonal across the TT cans with the tips sticking a little forward on the R side of bike and both tips and tails tied down to frame as well as secured over luggage rack.

Anybody done this and have any experience to share?

I konw there are some bike width issues if not careful.

I dont have time to get (nor do i foresee the long term need for a) ski carrier.

ho, ho, ho

Italian opera. German motorcycles.
VerdiBaritone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:16 AM   #2
LaurelPerryOnLand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,477
UPS...don't drive yourself crazy!
LaurelPerryOnLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:27 AM   #3
rocky burns
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Eek

Tie one end to the handlebars and the other end to the top box......simples
rocky burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:54 AM   #4
picinisco
Scottish Transplant

Oddometer: 460
Ski Pack

I have have carried skis on my my motorcycle before using a backpack with ski loops on the side like the one in the photo on the left.

Bikes That have Moved On:
1978 Suzuki GS550E, 1978 Kawasaki KZ1000P, 1982 Honda XL500R, 1995 BMW R1100RSL
picinisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
Mike Ryder
Kriegerkuh

Oddometer: 930
No problem. I strapped a pair of 185 s and poles across the cans they stuck out a bit but ok. just be careful in town. hand warmers in the boots within the cans for the ride up is nice when up get up to the parking lot. The bike helmet may not be suited to skiing though. just sayin..
Old 12-01-2012, 06:37 AM   #6
bob393
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
And I thought carring a bicycle was exteram
Old 12-01-2012, 07:04 AM   #7
El Gato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by picinisco View Post
I have have carried skis on my my motorcycle before using a backpack with ski loops on the side like the one in the photo on the left.
Maybe it's just me, but strapping large sticks with sharp edges to myself while riding a motorcycle doesn't seem like the brightest thing to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurelPerryOnLand View Post
UPS...don't drive yourself crazy!
Seriously... just ship the things.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:57 AM   #8
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,155
As a pilot, I would ask the question, "In an emergency, what will happen?"

It's pretty hard to make the case that safety is enhanced by attaching two, 6' spears to your bike and them launching them at 50-70 mph.
roger 04 rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:36 AM   #9
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 9,606
I suggest taking up ice skating...sell the skis.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:52 AM   #10
Snarky
Vodka Infused.

Oddometer: 1,342
I'm surprised that there are actually two to three-ish replies to this thread actually related to answering the question.

Of course the first two responses, of course. don't answer the question. You probably should have asked this in equipment. Boxer forum is not known for innovative approaches to doing things for the majority, just throwing money at solutions. You must do everything by ze book! Ja?

Okay, so it wasn't as long as snow skis, I did carry a scoped deer rifle in a giant, heavy rifle case about 1500 miles over 4 days strapped to the top of my right pannier on my Versys. It was fine, if a bit annoying at times. Mostly didn't notice it the bulk of the trip. Here would be my tips for skis or other long shit.

1. Use ratchet straps. I used cinch straps on the rifle case, and was having to re-tighten occasionally, which was annoying. Of course, pad items to protect from the straps.

2. Place some foam between the pannier and skis. To protect the pannier and skis from each other. To give the ratchet straps something to bite into. To dampen some of the movement between the bike and skis.

3. Hang a red rag off the back of the skis. Stupid fuckers shouldn't be that close to your ass anyways, but you should still alert people to the longer length.

4. If possible, I would tie a rope between the front of the skis, and one of the crash bars up front, to keep the skis from rotating around weirdly. Of course also pad them in places where they might contact the bike.

5. Keep it on the right side of the bike. It makes it easier to embark and disembark.

6. Don't leave that stuff unattended at gas stations. Thieves are quick. I actually cable locked my rifle case to the frame of my bike, I don't know if skis have security attachment points.

7. Prepare for some interesting changes in handling associated with aerodynamics. Nothing major, but it will seem slightly off from normal.

8. Balance your weight load, put something ski weight in the other pannier at least.

9. Wear full gear, help decrease chances of injury if there's an accident. I think it's probably going to be safer than the dudes that got bicycles strapped to their motorcycles.
Pledge today! Service guarantees citizenship. @ http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com Thanks.

Snarky screwed with this post 12-01-2012 at 09:58 AM
Snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:14 PM   #11
dogsrule
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
carrying skis

Hello,
I frequently carry skis on my bike (GSA) during the late spring or early summer. I have a PVC tube anchored to my pannier. The tube accommodates the width of the skis (current model about 123cm at the tips) and the bindings rest at the top of the tube preventing them from dropping too low. I'll also secure the poles with the straps over the ski tips and "bungy" them as well at the lower end. Carried vertically, if not obvious from the description. I enjoy both activities and when possible it is great fun to have both together.

Tom
dogsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:16 PM   #12
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,946
another vote for UPS or Fedx ground
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:36 PM   #13
ADVNCW
Banned

Oddometer: 341
No big deal on a bike that size. "Skis" got my attention. I use a small Honda to go spring skitouring. I just strap on the skis pointing out along the rear fender. No problem at 60 MPH on a CRF230L! Then I ride up dirt roads and trail to get to the snow for spring skitouring. No big deal.

You can use a ski bag, or bubble wrap, I have used a piece of a blue sleeping pad for padding where needed.
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:58 AM   #14
jjahp
Vertikal 1

Oddometer: 214
I've done this many times...great for spring skiing. Have TT boxes and no rear seat on the GS so I use an carpeted car mat and wrap around the binding/contact point on the bike and just bungee poles and skis to the cargo loops on the boxes...secure and is quick release. Boots and ski gear backpack fits in the panniers. I ski 190cm skis so they stick out a bit so you need to be mindful of the added width. Have not experienced any high wind with this set up (wouldnt be a good day for skiing anyway) but generally the extra foot that sticks out on either side shouldn't, in my mind, have any significant adverse effect. Im only travelling approx 20 miles each way but depending on how long your trip will be, I would probably take the extra step of slipping some cloth/paper whatever between the ski surfaces and contact points with the poles and if you dont have a ski bag, bubble wrap, create a makeshift handle on the bundle and tape it good. Just unbungee and lift off. Building removable ski rack where the skis mount vertically off the back is in the works this winter.

'86 R80
'99 R 1100 GS
'10 F800GS
jjahp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:12 AM   #15
Stegerman
MotoOCD sufferer

Oddometer: 584
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=695428

http://www.pointsunknown.com/blog/ma...her-equipment/

http://www.famousinternetskiers.com/...k/IMG_4393.jpg

http://redlegsrides.blogspot.com/200...otorcycle.html

formally trained to screw with people's minds..
Stegerman is offline   Reply With Quote