Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2012, 05:17 AM   #16
alii1959
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
Way cool man!! Looks great. Bet it rides nice. Here's to many miles/smiles ahead.

As far as cornering clearance is concerned on Harleys, if you are in search of cornering try a RoadKing. I didn't think any Harley would satisfy after a sportbike....I was wrong. Is it in the same class as the Gixxer...well, no. But, it ain't that bad neither. It will zip and man the torque. It sure is comfy too. With a bit of effort and the extensive aftermarket any Harley can be equipped to do anything you'd like. The hard part is making the decisions and coming up with the cash!!
Old 12-01-2012, 06:17 AM   #17
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by alii1959 View Post
Way cool man!! Looks great. Bet it rides nice. Here's to many miles/smiles ahead.

As far as cornering clearance is concerned on Harleys, if you are in search of cornering try a RoadKing. I didn't think any Harley would satisfy after a sportbike....I was wrong. Is it in the same class as the Gixxer...well, no. But, it ain't that bad neither. It will zip and man the torque. It sure is comfy too. With a bit of effort and the extensive aftermarket any Harley can be equipped to do anything you'd like. The hard part is making the decisions and coming up with the cash!!

+1 A bit of air in the suspension, and VOILA!
Old 12-01-2012, 06:25 AM   #18
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanotti View Post
I finally broke down and bought a Harley Softail Slim (ABS). Its quite a nice machine, I guess I had listened to all the Harley bashing around here for too long. Well made, great old school look, and easy to drive, fits me well.

Its the right tool for my current kind of riding - less touring and more just minibike around town.

I appreciate all the help here discussing forward controls, lean angle, and the lifestyle aspect. I bought a machine, not a lifestyle. The forward controls are comfortable and fits my 5'8" frame well. I can just push off the seat over bumps, but of course its no dirt bike!

Yes, the lean angle sucks (I scraped the floorboards exiting the dealer.) I have only 75 miles to date, so I can tell really how well it runs. It has a nice pull off the line, easy to manouver, and well balanced until it scrapes. Very predictable.

A couple pictures above the brochure pics:

Thanks again for all the help and the advice on alternative forums. I am not leaving here, its all an adventure, an dI plan on enjoying this bike for a while!

Warmest regards,

Z
Most any cruiser will drag the floor boards at LOW speed... turning out of a side street, lot, etc. (unless your practicing parade protocol) BUT, try going FASTER through the sweepers... the immense bulk (I'm not bashing here, I've proven it for years on my 860 lb. cruiser(S!) ), will provide increased centrifugal force, thus standing the bike up, and more clearance. Whole different technique than a sportbike with clearance made for a race track. One riding bud INSISTED on trying my bike, felt there was no way in hell I could even stay in the same zip-code as the pack of naked Beemers, Monsters, etc.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:24 AM   #19
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
I certainly agree that with slighty different riding techniques you can go faster than you'd think possible with Harley. Bumping the rear up even a bit helps. I drag my floorboards quite often on my Road Glide, but I do it less now after a year of riding it...and I go faster. Slow speed turns I still have to be careful...I levered my back end into a slide making a left hand turn off a stop sign when I gonked the undercarriage into the pavement. But on higher speed stuff it's good fun to see how much body english and picking the right line can really keep you moving at a good clip. All my group riding is with my brothers/nephew and the bikes have been st1300, bandit, big vstrom, wing, bmw rt1200...and they're never slowing down to wait for me.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #20
jearnshaw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
I love the Softail Slim...before I purchased my Honda Shadow I was looking hard at one of these, but the wife didn't really agree on spending an extra 10 grand on a bike.
jearnshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:51 AM   #21
Bloodweiser
honestly

Oddometer: 2,582
certainly very cool.

how do you like those bars? too wide?
thinking about a set for my switchback.
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:45 AM   #22
Zanotti OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDuc View Post

I was wondering if you had studio lighting with a black backdrop.

Have fun, Mark H.
Another time and $$ sink hobby! Fun to do though!

Z
Old 12-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #23
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,798
Beautiful bike. Sure wish I could afford one. I am currently shopping for an EVO Softail now. Almost bought a Sportster a few times, but for $2K-$3K more you can get the real thing.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:18 AM   #24
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Beautiful bike. Sure wish I could afford one. I am currently shopping for an EVO Softail now. Almost bought a Sportster a few times, but for $2K-$3K more you can get the real thing.
"real thing" ? = slower heavier bike that doesn't turn as well. (?)

Not sure what you are trying to say here.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:32 PM   #25
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post

Don't bother. He won't listen. Personally I might consider choosing an EVO Softail over a late '70's Shovelhead, but not much else.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:36 PM   #26
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

I didn't even notice it was JerryH.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #27
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post

I mean better for long distance cruising. Sportsters are fine for shorter distances, but a big twin works a lot better out on the highway where I spend most of my time. I have never heard of EVOs having any serious problems as long as they are left stock. The Shovelhead had issues because of the extremely poor AMF quality. The EVO had much better quality control, and I have seen them reach 100,000 miles without a rebuild.
1980 Puch moped
Old 12-02-2012, 07:15 PM   #28
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,138
Quote:
I mean better for long distance cruising. Sportsters are fine for shorter distances, but a big twin works a lot better out on the highway where I spend most of my time. I have never heard of EVOs having any serious problems as long as they are left stock. The Shovelhead had issues because of the extremely poor AMF quality. The EVO had much better quality control, and I have seen them reach 100,000 miles without a rebuild.
My comment wasn't about quality.

Funny how you went on and on about the unbalanced nature of Harley engines shaking themselves into oblivion due to the single crankpin design, and now you announce you are going to purchase one of the most miserably vibrating Harleys of the post AMF modern era.

Perhaps it would be more helpful to everyone if you were to identify which one of your multiple personalities is writing each post.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #29
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Harley engines DO shake themselves apart due to their uneven firing order. Otherwise they could last at least twice as long. But I never said I didn't like the shaking and the offbeat idle. For me a Harley is the most enjoyable road bike there is to ride. I have never ridden a big twin, just Sportsters. At 6' 220 I'm a bit big for a Sportsters, which, by the way, still have EVO engines. It's too bad that the design that gives Harleys so much character and makes them so much fun also shortens their lifespan, but you can''t have everything. At least an EVO engine is fairly easy to rebuild and there is an endless supply of parts.
1980 Puch moped
Old 12-02-2012, 09:30 PM   #30
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
You really should try a twin cam.