Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 08:30 AM   #46
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurelPerryOnLand View Post
Huh...I don't think Ewan's 'vehicle' was quite that large.

Does that thing have 'pegs'.

at 2:12

Motorfiets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:45 AM   #47
urbanXJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,634
Aawsome, they have Ted Simons moto!
Old 12-06-2012, 10:16 AM   #48
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 5,885
I sold the jacket to my "twat suit" jacket in 2010, after replacing the zipper and velcro,

Replaced it with the new model "twat suit" jacket

I own both DVD's. I catch a lot of flack from the wife and daughters for re-watching them over and over.
I can't say they or their adventures got me into this, as I rode my first GS quite a bit back in the day,

At the IMS show one year BMW even hacked together this twat with an image of Charlie and Ewan's pic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Palmer View Post
Claudio the LWD cameramans 1200ADV was on sale on ebay here in the UK last year...............It had a new beak and headlight but everything else looked much the same.........Even the blue tape on the Touratech crash bar bags was still there.

The seller( a car dealer) was asking around £11,000 for the bike but i reckon it was worth no more than £6500 as it was beat to shit and not really any different than any other 1200GSA that'd had a hard life.

Ewans 1150GSA was originally sold at a charity auction in the UK for around £80,000 You could make an identical replica of that bike with the same mileage, dents and all the Touratech/ohlins accessories for around £7000 at the time.

Even the faded red 'twat suit' is a sought after item and if you have one of the original Rallye 2's in grey or red it shows that you're an 'old timer' as far as ADV riding goes.

The grubbier the 'twat suit' the better!

FP.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #49
Slippy Chips
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Not trying to hijack the thread, but has anyone heard about the Wheel2Wheel trip some guy did from China to Australia on an F800GS? They made a series out of it and we're also trying to raise awareness for several charities. Their website said it would be shown in the US but I could never find it.
IBA #56918
Slippy Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #50
bajaburro
Ancient Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,530
ewan

bad actor,poor rider.made two very entertaining movies about long distance travel on bikes.wish they do another.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #51
NuckaMan
Space Available

Oddometer: 320
In one of the brit moto mags, read an interview with the CEO of KTM. He admitted one of the biggest marketing gaffe’s for KTM was saying no to Ewan and Charlie.

He did go on to say, he believes it was more a money based decision rather than a question on their project or their abilities. I don’t believe the current CEO was at the helm at the time.

Regardless, I don’t see the reason why these two get some much flak for what they did. Yeah, so they had some serious money behind them, all the best equipment offered to them, camera crew/medical staff/support truck no more than a days away, direct link into BMW Engineering for technical issues, above all else….they were already wealthy to begin with. So what….almost anyone have traded places with these guys, even for a day.

They are the ones who sat on the bikes and did it day after day, no matter how tough it got. Unless it comes out it was faked on some movie set….I respect them for what they did. And the fact that they made some money off of it, along with more notoriety, more power to them. Not everyone can be rich and famous….I don’t hate on the ones that are, just because. At the end of the day, they are moto-fans just like you and the rest on this forum.

2012 Kawasaki Concours 14

2013 Triumph Bonneville
NuckaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:37 PM   #52
RomaDakota
ROYGBIV

Oddometer: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post
Charley and Ewan got me into adventure riding
I, for one, think that is a great photo!
Old 12-06-2012, 03:44 PM   #53
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!

Oddometer: 1,101
Inspirational

I liked both series. Yes, others have travelled similar journeys. They are the the first to film it.
04 KTM 950 ADV ~ "BEASTIE", '08 KTM 450 XCR-W,
vabuckaroo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:18 PM   #54
John Smallberries OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,146
The truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post
Charley and Ewan got me into adventure riding

Wow - is that the same truck they used for their first "un-bikeable" river crossing? It certainly looks like it. How did you get connected up with it?

Those Russian trucks and their drivers were amazing.
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:22 PM   #55
John Smallberries OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,146
Translation, please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Palmer View Post
.....Even the faded red 'twat suit' is a sought after item and if you have one of the original Rallye 2's in grey or red it shows that you're an 'old timer' as far as ADV riding goes.

The grubbier the 'twat suit' the better!

FP.
Is it a fair guess that "twat suit" is as unflattering in US English as Scottish? I guess I'll pull it off my Christmas list.
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:10 AM   #56
wbrisett
hmmm....

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuckaMan View Post
[COLOR=#1f497d

Regardless, I don’t see the reason why these two get some much flak for what they did. Yeah, so they had some serious money behind them, all the best equipment offered to them, camera crew/medical staff/support truck no more than a days away, direct link into BMW Engineering for technical issues, above all else….they were already wealthy to begin with. So what….almost anyone have traded places with these guys, even for a day.
While they didn't show all the negotiations, this was designed as a documentary/TV show. The idea is to sell the show. I'm not sure people would have been as supportive if two off-the-street guys named Fergus Burns & Gordon Smith had made the documentary. For that matter, without name support I'm not sure the BBC would have agreed to do the project in the first place. The fact is, it was part riding, part entertainment. That's how it was suppose to be. People get bent out of shape about it, but you need a camera man to do video and sound. Having mounted GoPros on bikes are fine for YouTube, but not for a multi-hour documentary.

Wayne
Old 12-07-2012, 04:59 AM   #57
madleemark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
i enjoyed watching long way round and long way down, looked to me like they had fun along with many hard days, good for them and bmw. has anybody seen terra circa or mondo enduro?
madleemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:43 PM   #58
Farmer Palmer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by madleemark View Post
i enjoyed watching long way round and long way down, looked to me like they had fun along with many hard days, good for them and bmw. has anybody seen terra circa or mondo enduro?

Terra Circa is probably the best Adventure Motorcycling film that's ever been made!

Just goes to show that it's possible to ride around the world on an inexpensive bike aswell as living on a few $ a day

Unsponsored as Austin Vince says!

FP.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:12 PM   #59
Farmer Palmer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smallberries View Post
I'm sure there were many days where Ewan/Charlie/Claudio wished they were on DR350's instead of the big pig 1200GS's. Probably wouldn't be so good crossing the US. I recall the Terra Circa guys painted over all the Suzuki logos when they couldn't get any sponsorship. They also seemed to be fixing those bikes quite a lot along the way.
I think most of the Terra Circa bikes were pretty shagged when they left the UK.............At least by their numberplates and mileages they certainly weren't new!

From the distances they covered on the type of roads I think they did pretty well.

Having said that I know a guy at the moment who's just ridden all the way from Newcastle(in the north of England) all the way to India over the last few months.

His motorbike of choice............... A nearly new £2000 Honda PCX 125 Scooter

www.Andrewcharnley.com

So anythings possible

FP.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #60
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaDakota View Post
I, for one, think that is a great photo!
thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smallberries View Post
Wow - is that the same truck they used for their first "un-bikeable" river crossing? It certainly looks like it. How did you get connected up with it?

Those Russian trucks and their drivers were amazing.
it's the same truck. It was parked by a little market near the Kyubeme river

Motorfiets is offline   Reply With Quote