User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2013, 09:24 AM   #1
gcb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
why so many versys on the market?

I'm trying to get a versys for some time... and i want a 2009 green. so I have craigslist alerts all over the place.

This month, from the usual 1 or 2 lemons that keep showing up every week, i got 19 all green! from the mileage and location, i can say there's at least 12 different ones.. the others i still have to double check they are not just a dealer ad from the private one. And some of them are 2010 model, but still.

is that just chance? Or did some news come out for that? end of warranty should have been last year or before for the 2009s. Don't know what to make of this. I'm checking a few of them tomorrow, but still wanted to know why now? and so many?

btw, in socal if that matters... Maybe something related to being difficult to smog with some new rules? i know some years of the versys they were not sold here because of the smog rules...

Hope i'm just being paranoid.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
I have no idea, but it all sounds very weird! I will be watching just because I'd love to know.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
tokyo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Interesting.. I have been looking at getting one as well, but over the past year the prices have steadily creeped up about $1k, at least here in UT, and I figured they would come down again, so have been waiting.

I wonder if everyone is unloading them now in anticipation of the Yamaha FZ-09 triple this fall.

I do notice that people tend to put up their bikes at the end of the summer season every year, so supply goes up and prices come down, but 19 in one week is a lot to explain..
Old 08-14-2013, 01:24 PM   #4
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 394
I had a 2009 Versys and rode it from Charleston through the Rockies and on to Montana. A trip of slightly under 7,000 miles. While fun in the twisties it is cramped for long distance, the seat is terrible, wind protection is limited...and it sucks on gravel. I expected greater versitility. (FWIW, I think the V-Strom 650 is much better suited for long rides on pavement.)

After some deliberation, I ended up replacing the Versys with a new KLR that (while less spirited) I've found to be a better general purpose motorcycle. Perhaps others have also discovered that the Versys isn't nearly as 'versatile' as they expected and that's why fairly clean used examples are fairly easy to find.
CharlestonADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:32 PM   #5
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 675
It's the end of summer.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #6
DPelletier
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlestonADV View Post
I had a 2009 Versys and rode it from Charleston through the Rockies and on to Montana. A trip of slightly under 7,000 miles. While fun in the twisties it is cramped for long distance, the seat is terrible, wind protection is limited...and it sucks on gravel. I expected greater versitility. (FWIW, I think the V-Strom 650 is much better suited for long rides on pavement.)

After some deliberation, I ended up replacing the Versys with a new KLR that (while less spirited) I've found to be a better general purpose motorcycle. Perhaps others have also discovered that the Versys isn't nearly as 'versatile' as they expected and that's why fairly clean used examples are fairly easy to find.
I would echo those comments; the Versys is NOT a dual sport and makes a poor adventure bike. I actually liked the bike and it was a great urban commuter, but as mentioned above the weestrom has more room, more carrying capability, better wheel size for gravel and no under-slung muffler. I owned several bikes at the time and kept the KLR over the Versys because even though the Versys was a better bike in many respects, the KLR could do everything the Versys could....and then some. Ultimately, they weren't different enough for me to justify having both.

Dave
DPelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:43 PM   #7
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,654
i've seen quite a few around here as well.
in fact, I'm surprised they sold that many.... there are more popping up per month in craigslist than i have ever seen actually being ridden.
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:44 PM   #8
Auto-X Fil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
Why is this in Thumpers?

I have a green 2009 Versys. It's a great road bike. It is not an adventure bike. I rip it around on gravel roads, but it's not much better than any other street bike on them. The suspension damping adjustments span a pretty huge range, and cranking them down, along with the rear pre-load, really helped mine.

With a Baldwin seat, it's a good (not great) highway bike. The power is great, and the engine is particularly smooth at 60-80mph. The small windscreen doesn't provide a lot of protection, but that's a pretty easy $100 aftermarket fix, if you do a lot of highway. 200-250 miles per tank.

Canyons are awesome. The motor spins to 10.5k if you need it to, and it pulls from 3k if you try to come out of a corner a couple gears higher than you should. You can hang off it pretty aggressively, but it rides well with a more upright style, like a lot of people like to corner on SuperMotos. The bike feels tall and tipsy, and just drops into the corner like a dirtbike.

The torquey motor with no big power surge up high makes for very forgiving wheelies. Combined with the upright position, this has been a fantastic bike for me to lean the art of one-wheeling on.

This might be dumb, but I think the styling looks good with luggage. Some bikes don't really look great with bags, IMO.

Think of the Versys this way: it's a Ninja 650R with upright ergos, funky styling, better suspension, and an engine tuned for more low-end grunt. And it requires an aftermarket seat.

Or, think of it this way: if the SV-650 is the ultimate Sport-Standard, the Versys is a SuperMoto-Standard.
Auto-X Fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:41 PM   #9
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacl-Kampuchea View Post
It's the end of summer.
I'd agree to that and say some are looking for $ to parlay into a 700/500x, FZ-09 or some other mid-size bike.

...this thread should be moved to beasts.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:42 PM   #10
gcb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto-X Fil View Post
Why is this in Thumpers?
because i'm a moron :) thought I was in the talk forum... anyone can move it?

Btw, i do want one for a roadwarrior. not planning on using it *much* for dual-purposes purposes
Old 08-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #11
ihatefalling
Let it roll

Oddometer: 3,307
I've got a Versys too.
Correct the seat (new seat or shave mod), add a windscreen, lower the pegs and raise the bars.
Great mid sized bike. NOT and ADV bike - it's a curve eater.
Everyone always says "you ought to put some knobbies on it and ride gravel" - - - pffft, that's what dirt bikes are for.
It will take curves faster than I have the nards for.
All my friends are surprised when they ride it
Old 08-14-2013, 08:30 PM   #12
Blueshark
Coastal Castaway

Oddometer: 157
Looks like peeps need the money

Seen a bunch for sale, low mileage. Owners say they are selling because basically they need the money. Economy's still stalled, and this is not the BMW end of the market.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:25 PM   #13
gcb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triplepawed View Post
Seen a bunch for sale, low mileage. Owners say they are selling because basically they need the money. Economy's still stalled, and this is not the BMW end of the market.
hey neighbor :)

yeah, you are right. what's even odder is that they are all asking the exact same value.

How much should i be paying on a 2009 with 10~20k miles?
Old 08-15-2013, 03:56 AM   #14
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlestonADV View Post

I test rode a versys when I was looking to replace my klr. A far more lively motor but as you say - a bit cramped and the seat seemed to slide me forward onto the tank.

I ended up buying another klr and think I made the right choice.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:53 AM   #15
Auto-X Fil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcb View Post
hey neighbor :)

yeah, you are right. what's even odder is that they are all asking the exact same value.

How much should i be paying on a 2009 with 10~20k miles?
That's hard to say, since I'm in such a different market. Around here - $4k or less, if it's totally clean. I have yet to see one much under $4k.
Auto-X Fil is offline   Reply With Quote