User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2005, 01:41 AM   #1
Mago OP
Growing Wiser..

Oddometer: 273
Bleeding the R1200GS ABS system..

Someone told me I will need a special vacuum pump and leave in suction overnight to get the air bubbles out of the brake system...

Why can't the standard bleeding procedure be used on ABS systems?

Thanks.
Mago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 06:01 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,590
There's a special PDF file with pics of exactly how to do it yourself, but it's not for the feeble minded like me, or the mechanically challenged. Do a google search. I think it was posted once on the bmwst.com website. I had a copy of it, but figured it was beyond my capabilities..

You do need to formulate a special funnel. If you can't find the info, send me an email. A buddy of mine does this himself and he has that PDF file, I can ask him to send it to me.
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 07:11 AM   #3
JelloLee
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mago
Someone told me I will need a special vacuum pump and leave in suction overnight to get the air bubbles out of the brake system...

Thanks.
Actually, the specific answer to your question depends on which ABS system you are referring to. On older models equipped with ABS-2, you certainly can use the traditional methods, bleeding from reservoir to caliper*. You happen to be referring to the R1200GS's ABS system, which (correct me if I'm wrong) is ABS-3.

I believe ABS-3 employs a master-slave design in which the fluids for the "control circuit" is entirely separate from the "wheel circuits." Hence, it's necessary to employ a technique that bleeds each circuit separately.

Now...getting to the misinformation you've been given. I don't believe you need any special suction pump to bleed your brakes.

Two articles attributed to Dana Hager in the Hall of Wisdom go into the DIY bleed procedure for ABS-3. And an old maintenance thread links you to two excellent write ups in the BMW Sport Touring Forum, by KMG365. The first link describes the wheel circuit bleed process. The 2nd link describes the control circuit bleed process.

* PS: I bring up the older models only because often alot of confusion gets introduced to the subject when it's not clarified which ABS system you're referring to.

JelloLee screwed with this post 06-21-2005 at 07:17 AM
JelloLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 07:54 PM   #4
RightSpin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mago

Thanks.
Mago, the bleeding procedure is very simple once you've seen it done. Reading about it makes it seem more complicated than it really is. The BMWST.com writeups linked above are very helpful and you will need the special funnel to accomplish this. DO NOT USE A MITYVAC OR OTHER KIND OF VACUUM PUMP.

The circuits are purged using the servos for the wheel circuits and the hand/foot controls for the control circuits. Speed bleeders are helpful and a catch bag or container is necessary.

I don't know what you call tech sessions here at AdvRider, but we call them Tech Daze over at the BMWSportTouring site. These are informal one-day get-togethers where we teach each other how to perform maintenance on our bikes. See if you can get to one of these and someone will be glad to help you out on your first run at it. Once you've seen it, you can show someone else.

2005 R1200GS
2003 KTM 625 SXC
RightSpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 03:19 AM   #5
Mago OP
Growing Wiser..

Oddometer: 273
Thanks guys for the help.. wish me good luck.
Mago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 11:37 AM   #6
myblubeemer
JWAT

Oddometer: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightSpin
Mago, the bleeding procedure is very simple once you've seen it done. Reading about it makes it seem more complicated than it really is. The BMWST.com writeups linked above are very helpful and you will need the special funnel to accomplish this. DO NOT USE A MITYVAC OR OTHER KIND OF VACUUM PUMP.

The circuits are purged using the servos for the wheel circuits and the hand/foot controls for the control circuits. Speed bleeders are helpful and a catch bag or container is necessary.

I don't know what you call tech sessions here at AdvRider, but we call them Tech Daze over at the BMWSportTouring site. These are informal one-day get-togethers where we teach each other how to perform maintenance on our bikes. See if you can get to one of these and someone will be glad to help you out on your first run at it. Once you've seen it, you can show someone else.
I was told that these great insturctions on Bleeding brakes on the 1150ABS brakes would not apply to the R1200ABS due to the linked breaking differences. Can anyone verify?

Thanks,

jwat
myblubeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 11:47 AM   #7
Ken H.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by myblubeemer
I was told that these great insturctions on Bleeding brakes on the 1150ABS brakes would not apply to the R1200ABS due to the linked breaking differences. Can anyone verify?

Thanks,

jwat
Not true. The procedure is identical.
Ken H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 01:46 PM   #8
rideLD
The further the better!

Oddometer: 5,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by myblubeemer
I have never bled an 1150 but I have done my R12GS twice. To the best of my knowledge the only difference is that BMW added a way to test all the circuits and confirm they are bled correctly using the GT1. Once you know what you are doing you will find that this step is unnecessary because it is very obvious if you have any air in the system. I had my first 2 bleed jobs tested on the GT1 and they both tested fine so now I am sure that I can skip that step. For your first time I would recommend taking it in once your done and pay the $60 to have it hooked up to the GT1 for the piece of mine. For the same $60 you can have them set your idle, check for fault codes and perform any needed software updates.
I'm sure one of the warranty Nazis will chime in and say that not having the bleed tested will void your warranty. Don't worry cause that's a bunch of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
We pay Motorrad to design weight off the bike then pay TouraTech to bolt it right back on.
rideLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 01:58 PM   #9
rideLD
The further the better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
You do need to formulate a special funnel.
I ordered the same one the BMW techs use from BMW. It works real slick.

Quote:
We pay Motorrad to design weight off the bike then pay TouraTech to bolt it right back on.
Old 03-19-2006, 03:56 PM   #10
EricFoerster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
I just did it this weekend and it was not as hard I as I thought. Taking our time and cleaning everything up took just over an hour.

I did enlist the help of a friend who had done it before. That being said, if you follow the directions from the instructions listed above it is fairly easy.

Glad I did it. My back brake was "weak" and we flushed more than a few air bubbles out of it. 3 years and 27,000 miles and the fluid still looked great. Very little gunk in it at all. I do live in a dry climate and I think that helped with the fluid staying clean.

Go ahead and give it a go, it's not that bad
EricFoerster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 07:14 PM   #11
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H.
Not true. The procedure is identical.
Yup, and not really that hard either.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 03:14 PM   #12
custom60
Andiamo stronzi!

Oddometer: 80
R12GS ABS Bleed/Flush advice

Has anyone successfully made this "tool"?:
http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom...ng_adapter.pdf

Can you advise what "TOP" part number one would need for a 2004 R12GS?

I tried asking a dealer about the Tool 34 2 541, but they can not locate that part number anywhere...

Thanks!
custom60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 03:50 PM   #13
raysuf
Lost

Oddometer: 1,141
I made a funnel back in december to do my brakes on an 04 RT. The "Top" 2 in a pack with some hoses for around 70 dollars. The funnels are more reasonable. I made two since I was going to have two tops anyway. Custom60 did you go to Bob's BMW? That's where I got my tops from. It's Item 2 below.

http://raysuf.smugmug.com/

Save $5 on your smugmug subscription with this coupon Ti6DylUyt31Zg
raysuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 06:00 PM   #14
Tslepebull
Snakecharmer

Oddometer: 264
I had mine done at Shreveport Motorsports. They only charged one hour of labor and less than 5 bucks for the extrra brake fluid. For the peace of mind I will let them do it every other year as recommended. There is plenty of other maintenance I can do.
Tslepebull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:15 PM   #15
rideLD
The further the better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tslepebull
For the peace of mind I will let them do it every other year as recommended.
That is exactly why I prefer to do my own. Peace of mind

BTW, BMW sent out a service bulletin and changed the procedure so you only bleed one circuit on the ABS pump. This will get out 95% of the brake fluid in the pump and saves about 2 hours of work. That's why they should be charging much less labor. This makes so much sense to me. The first time I bled my unit I noticed that it was redundant bleeding out each circuit individually. All I was doing was wasting brand new brake fluid.

BTW, you still need to bleed the wheel circuits every year. Don't wait and do it every other year.

Quote: