User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
SmilinDave OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I can't be the first...

...guy this has happened to. And just when I thought that the adjustable 12GS seat was the best thing since sliced bread. Well I've searched and searched, and I haven't seen a single report of this. I'm guessing I must be the only id10t out there. I guess I was hoping for a recall or something.

While on a trip this weekend, I noticed the inside of my left leg felt really hot through my riding britches, almost like a sportbike stuck in Miami traffic. It passed and I didn't think anything of it. At my next fuel stop, I went to hop back on the bike and noticed this on the seat.

What the heck is that? Looks like a cigarette burn upon closer inspection. I looked at the inside of my leg and there was nothing on my pants that could have rubbed that.

Like any true optimist I just ignored it...until my next stop. I went to pull my seat and the front adjustment bar flopped out from under the seat. This is what the front left bracket looked like.

and

I then looked at the seat, and on the same side I saw this.

and another look

In case you forgot this is what it's supposed to look like. I added the zip ties later...once I figured out what happened.

So what the heck happened? As you can imagine, I was pretty pissed. It took me about 20 minutes stuck behind traffic on the BRP to deduce the following.

1. I accidentally placed the bar on top of and slightly forward of the front right bracket.
2. It didn't line up, and so pulled the seat backwards and it locked into place.
3. The rubber retainer stretched allowing the bar to slide off of the slots on the seat.
4. I then sat my happy self down and proceeded to grind the bar onto the protective boot on the positive battery terminal.
5. Eventually it made contact with the battery.
6. The left side of the bar was still attached in place under the seat and at least one or more major arcs travelled from the left top of the bar to the goofy helmet lock...melting everything in their path.

You can't make it out, but when I inspected the top of the rubber boot I found a small hole right where the terminal bolt is.

I figure from here on out, the zip ties are a nice level of protection...although I doubt that I'll ever screw that up again. I'm going to order a pair of new brackets and a new bar for my seat. I'm going to try to salvage the seat, but it might be a loss. It's a bummer too, because I actually like the stock seat and have no plans to upgrade it.

Does anyone want to sell their stock adjustable 12GS seat?
SmilinDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
LaurelPerryOnLand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,274
Geez, Louise. Talk about a HEATED seat! Glad you're OK...what doesn't kill yea...makes you a customer at the Parts department.

4. I then sat my happy self down and proceeded to grind the bar onto the protective boot on the positive battery terminal.

Seems like there was a post here recently about replacing the plastic cover on battery terminals. Everybody chimed in "naw...forget about it"...."been riding for 30 years without covers on terminals" etc. etc. etc.

Perhaps there was a reason (as you've experienced) that BMW INSTALLED these covers!

LaurelPerryOnLand screwed with this post 07-23-2012 at 06:02 PM
LaurelPerryOnLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:56 PM   #3
on2wheels52
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,158
Sorry for your pain SD.
Speaking as a person who has removed and installed the seat on various motorcycles over the last 40 years, the seat on the GS is far from the most user friendly to install.
Check the threads in Flea market for another seat, lots of folks upgrade theirs.
Jim
on2wheels52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
Gorilla King
Dobar Skorz!

Oddometer: 38,408
No actually Dave I suspect you might be the first.
But thanks for posting. I know I'll certainly be more aware when slapping the seat back in place on my bike from now on.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
aGremlin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla King View Post
No actually Dave I suspect you might be the first.
But thanks for posting. I know I'll certainly be more aware when slapping the seat back in place on my bike from now on.
Yeah... wot e sed ^

More careful with my seat now...
Old 07-23-2012, 07:23 PM   #6
SmilinDave OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the sentiments. It was definitely a great first overnight trip. A sort of trial by fire as a GS owner.
  • I melted the seat.
  • I ran low on oil and had to add 3/4 of a quart. It's at 9,500 miles, and I've put 1,500 on without ever checking the oil. Could be that it was close and that it's in that extended GS break-in period. :)
  • Oh yeah, and I scalloped my front tire something fierce running the manual's loaded touring recommended pressure of 36 psi. The tires had seen better days anyhow. I have to imagine that they were the original Battlewings.

But all that was easily forgotten as soon as I think back to how well it handled everything from tarmac curves to the double track. And to think when I sold my Wee Strom I had intended to replace it with a sport tourer and a dual sport since I didn't think there would be anything that that would do both so well.

Back on topic. I just took the bracket apart and cleaned everything up. The seat holds firm, but it's not level due to the reduced height of the left bracket. The mounting hardware and rubber washers and gasket are fine. So I'm just going to order a pair of new brackets and take my time finding a replacement seat. Despite the damage to the seat, I think it's still level and will be fine once I get that bracket replaced.

On a related note, I saw this post in the Flea Market while looking for seats:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808929

Before this, I would have kind of considered a batter cover a bit frivolous myself. Maybe those guys at Touratech are onto something afterall.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:50 PM   #7
cratliff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
damn...........
cratliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:10 PM   #8
Z50Pilot
Sparky

Oddometer: 243
hot seat

My wife and I were on an Edelweiss tour in 2010 and one of the GS's had a battery fire. It was a new bike (2010) and Edelweiss ran a new bike out right away. Luckily the rider was able to get off the bike before he was injured.

We never found out what caused the problem, but the bike did not fare as well as the OP's.

Never lend a friend your Pacific Coast. Unless you like scratches and want a beer annuity
Z50Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:54 PM   #9
BaddAndy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Is your or my battery installed backwards? My posts are on the aft side of the battery.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:46 PM   #10
EggChaser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Somewhere on here is a owner that ended up with fire in his garage when he shorted the bar across the battery terminals. As soon as I saw that i set about wrapping the bar in plastic.

I believe there is a mod that some have used to change the solid bar for a bolt each side as well due to similar concerns.
Here's at least one mod (although not for electrical short reasons)
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=445892
EggChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:46 AM   #11
slojon
SLOJON

Oddometer: 522
Wow! BMW's got heated grips and heated seats!
slojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:06 AM   #12
EggChaser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
I found the original thread (which was abouth a GS, although it was apparently an RT with similar problem that burned up someones garage

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496595

Also found an external post

http://www.r1200gs.info/forum/2-gene...ical-fire.html

and this UKGSER thread
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197405

that contains pictures like this

EggChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:16 AM   #13
Steamy Moose
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Ouch, thats been rather warm.. Just as well you stopped when you did!
Steamy Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:14 AM   #14
zingo
@ ?

Oddometer: 27
That Sucks

thank you for the FYI
zingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:21 AM   #15
SmilinDave OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EggChaser View Post
I believe there is a mod that some have used to change the solid bar for a bolt each side as well due to similar concerns.
Here's at least one mod (although not for electrical short reasons)
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=445892
I remember seeing this mod, but I had since forgotten about it. I can't do it with my current seat, but I think I'll chop the new seat when I finally get one. I'm going to install a fuse box under there too and I certainly don't want any more mishaps. I might at least run a length or two of shrink wrap down the middle section of the bar though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EggChaser View Post
I found the original thread (which was abouth a GS, although it was apparently an RT with similar problem that burned up someones garage

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496595

Also found an external post

http://www.r1200gs.info/forum/2-gene...ical-fire.html

and this UKGSER thread
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197405
Oh my. I'm gladded I sorted it out before it torched my boys going down the road.