Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #31
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham View Post
Despite the helpful suggestions from my two English Lit Professor brothers the point stands....which on theses blogs should always be the point of discussion...you should really try a Guzzi. I did, after I did what you are doing, and realized you really can have both worlds.

(Written at 5th grade level so all can understand.)
We obviously will need performance numbers first before any serious consideration can be given.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:44 PM   #32
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,010
I took my girlfriend and we test rode a S10 and a GS back to back. She liked the GS better as a passenger and I like the GS (with ESA) better because of the handling and the Vario luggage.

I could have gotten an S10 at dealer cost, so was leaning that way just because of the cost difference. But, my girlfriend said "we both like the BMW better. Get that. I'll split the cost with you." So that's what we got.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #33
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
I took my girlfriend and we test rode a S10 and a GS back to back. She liked the GS better as a passenger and I like the GS (with ESA) better because of the handling and the Vario luggage.

I could have gotten an S10 at dealer cost, so was leaning that way just because of the cost difference. But, my girlfriend said "we both like the BMW better. Get that. I'll split the cost with you." So that's what we got.
You better put a ring on that!
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:42 PM   #34
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Discussing performance numbers like these are like betting on a pig vs a cow in a 0-60 mph race.

Still the Guzzi fully rigged and fueled puts in 4.05 0-60 and 12.06 in the quarter. Plenty of git for me.
Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:39 AM   #35
rednax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
from 660 to 1200

going trhough Europe - ( Sweden - Spain -Sweden) on my xt660z , doing a run through Germany on the autobahn, I really found it necessary to change to something bigger and stronger and more comfortable soon as I got home.
Testrode the GS 1200 and the ST. Really liked both of them. The GS being a little more grunty, The ST on the other hand smooth and nice, but what really made the difference was the way I was treated at the shops. BMW guy told me I had an half our to ride (" you´re not going on a touring trp are you") while the Yamaha guys said I could keep for a day or two (!) if I wanted. Yeah, I chose the Supertenere !
Gone 15000km on it since July and am extremly pleased with it. It handles like a much lighter bike going offroad (light) and is certainly powerfull enough for me. The electronics work like a dream. Love the antispinn system and the very efficient ABS allready saved me from hitting a dear one night. I´ve changed the windscreen, heated grips and a plate underneeth so far and I`ll change to Ohlins damper till spring. (I´m a heavy guy)The comfort is very good and so far the airhawk stays in the bag. Good or bad roads (whatever is what for you) short trips or real long touring, this bike is a very good choise!

rednax screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 02:30 AM
rednax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:42 AM   #36
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by California View Post
I rode my WeeStrom down to the Yamaha/BMW dealer in Ft. Worth today so I could ride and compare the two back to back.

The reason for doing this? I have a Harley RoadGlide and the Wee, and a Ruckus, but my wife won't ride with me on the Harley any more. She has Scoliosis, and the potholes and pavement heaves are painful for her when riding pillion on the Glide. The Wee has about 7 inches of travel, and she now won't ride with me unless we take the Wee.

Now, I love the Wee, but have to admit when two up and loaded, it doesn't have enough uumph at highway speeds, and cruising at 80mph or about 6500rpm, is a little buzzy and my fingers get tingly after a while.

So, we've decided to get a bigger dual sport, for the cushy suspension, and make it our primary ride. I've put the HD up for sale, and as soon as it's gone, we're going to buy either a Super Tenere or a R1200GS. When it's farkled and broken in, we'll sell the Wee

So I went for back to back, same road, same weather, test rides, and here's what I think.....

The Tenere has better wind management, stock, but on either bike, a new windshield would be one of the very first things replaced. The number two replacement would be the seat, which on the Yammy was absolutely horrible. I was uncomfortable within 15 minutes. I tried all three seat positions, and it's not that, it's the shape and foam. It's frikkin AWFUL! The BMW seat is better, marginally, and was much narrower at a stop and easier to put my feet down at a stop. So either way, I'd have to buy a Russell or Meyer or aomething similar, and as we all know, they ain't cheap!

Engines? Under all situations, the Tenere engine is much smoother, however the throttle response at low speeds was disturbingly jerky.. I've read in other threads that's there's ways to minimize this, so I'm not really concerned, it's just that it amazes me that a manufacturer would build something like this. The BMW motor sounds, feels, and vibrates like a tractor! The BMW tranny is smooth and silky, but the clutch was hard and abrubt.

At 70 to 80 mph, the Yam was smooth, light, and virtually free of vibrations, while the GS buzzed enough to start the tingling in my hands that I get with the Wee.

For me it was an obvious difference, and made the decision almost a no brainer, I'm buying a Tenere as soon as the HD is gone!
I would recommend you check the bikes with the semi-active suspension. One of the them is the Multistrada 2013. I hear the BMW GS for 2014 will also have semi-active suspension. The journalists testing the Multistrada mentioned of comfort and touring capability of this bike, especially for pillions or when with a pillion.

Some lucky Italians, riders like us, who were invited to ride this bike last month mentioned that the Ducati staff suggested they went fast over speed bumps, just for the sake of it. Riders mentioned the bike "floated" over the bumps. The 2013 models have other improvements overall when compared to the 2010-12 models, and they now have a gran-turismo model, with more of a touring setup.

Either that or wait for the BMW GS 2014 with the semi-active suspension. I'm sure other bikes will follow. Aprilia will also have one out with the same semi-active suspension (made by Sachs).

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:35 AM   #37
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post

I just genually was surprised at the difference compared to past Beemers I had ridden.

I'm surprised no one has drug a Multi Strada in and ended the discussion.
Someone mention a Multistrada?

oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:41 AM   #38
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp View Post
Ultimately though, who gives a shit...?

It's an "adventure bike" not a quarter mile blaster or canyon carving/knee scraping machine.

Greg.
Well, to some owners, the GS and Multi are just that....all of that.

oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:05 AM   #39
everetto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn View Post
I thought you said something like "I don't post what I read... "
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
LOL - exactly my thoughts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp View Post
Ultimately though, who gives a shit...?

It's an "adventure bike" not a quarter mile blaster or canyon carving/knee scraping machine.

Greg.
You guys are correct. I posted that link because it was the first report I have seen where the ST made the same power as the Beemer, for what that is worth.

Update by the way - my bud's FJR is a 2005, so maybe that will quell the mass hysteria of someone claiming a ST tied a FJR. Obviously his FJ is the earlier model with lower power. I did in fact tie it.

Now for the real meat of the conversation - I tried to practice with the ST in sand yesterday. Perhaps it was a bit too much sand....... holy crap these heavy bikes will throw you down and jump on top of you in a second.

That 690 is looking better all the time...... :)
everetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:18 AM   #40
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
You better put a ring on that!
WIP, my friend!
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:33 AM   #41
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by everetto View Post
I tried to practice with the ST in sand yesterday. Perhaps it was a bit too much sand....... holy crap these heavy bikes will throw you down and jump on top of you in a second.

I had the same with a light weight bike - Yamaha WR250R. It bucked, it weaved, it threw me off and jumped on top of me and busted a couple ribs ... I was going from shallow sand to deep sand and didn't see it coming ... might have been a bit too fast for my own good, too ...

The R1200GS was a pig in sand but it plowed through fairly okay. I wonder whether the Telelever suspension keeps it a bit better on course than the standard forks. Can't see why this would be, but I didn't have much trouble with it. But I have to admit that I didn't do much sand with the GS. It was my tourer, not my dirtbike.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:43 AM   #42
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,460
I had a GSA and after nearly one year I’m the happy owner of a Super Ténéré. Both are great bikes but the Yamaha is more agile and better balanced.. it seems much lighter than really it is.
If you like to do off road with it the Yam is incredible, much better than the GS.
Also the TC and ABS worked much better in the Yamaha.

Guzzi?? I don’t know… here in Spain if you have a Moto Guzzi is for life… impossible to sell it once it’s used…
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:55 AM   #43
everetto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post

I had the same with a light weight bike - Yamaha WR250R. It bucked, it weaved, it threw me off and jumped on top of me and busted a couple ribs ... I was going from shallow sand to deep sand and didn't see it coming ... might have been a bit too fast for my own good, too ...

The R1200GS was a pig in sand but it plowed through fairly okay. I wonder whether the Telelever suspension keeps it a bit better on course than the standard forks. Can't see why this would be, but I didn't have much trouble with it. But I have to admit that I didn't do much sand with the GS. It was my tourer, not my dirtbike.
For me I think it is a case of "the mind writing checks my body can no longer cash". Guess I am not as young as I used to be (and I am certainly on a heavier bike than my old desert racer).
everetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:56 AM   #44
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by everetto View Post
For me I think it is a case of "the mind writing checks my body can no longer cash". Guess I am not as young as I used to be (and I am certainly on a heavier bike than my old desert racer).
I never really rode much sand. Mud and grass and rocks and single track - yes. Sand, not so much. And with the WR250R at a speed beyond my capabilities that was a recipe for disaster. And yes, I'm not as young as I used to be either.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:42 AM   #45
Dirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by F16Viper68 View Post
Thanks for the write up. I currenlty have a 2008 Wee and on Sunday I'm picking up a used Tenere with 13k miles. I haven't done anything but sat on one but it seems to be getting great reviews. It has an upgraded windscreen (Givi) and a Corbin seat so it soulnds like two of the issues you mention have already been addressed.

I'll let you know what I think on Sunday.

Dave...
A used S10? I'm not jealous. Well, ok I'm jealous already. I almost found one used at a local dealer, but the numbers weren't there. How much though did you pay used.
Dirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote