ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 02:10 PM   #166
Lasherman
Ah Sh!t!
 
Lasherman's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Turlock, Ca
Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheeljunkie View Post
Fair enough. I'm in.
Just be aware of your gas range, wanna be at least 150 miles or so. Other than thats lots of nice people.
Lasherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:20 PM   #167
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick
 
longtallsally's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: BACK IN THE STATES!!!
Oddometer: 4,191
My first ADV deal was DVDaze. I had a blast and learned a lot. I rode down with the AAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH riders which certainly puts a real twist on things.

My only advice in terms of riding is to make sure you've got the range mentioned.

In terms of the rest, just beware of Stu when he breaks out the Jaeger (I'm still pissed I forgot to get you a bottle while we were in Germany). Otherwise a good crew there to help. If you wanna get into the real strange de-noobing stuff, you need to head to WARPED.
__________________
[quote=Insert witty comment here]
longtallsally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:25 PM   #168
2wheeljunkie
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: California
Oddometer: 22
Brand spankin new (800 miles) KTM 990 Adventure with stock tires. Will the Pirellis cut it? Got Black Dog skid plate and side stand relocator on the way. Probably gonna get som Zega Pros too if I can bring myself to keep spending money.
2wheeljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:44 PM   #169
Memnok
Fly high, go far.
 
Memnok's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Turlock, Ca
Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheeljunkie View Post
Brand spankin new (800 miles) KTM 990 Adventure with stock tires. Will the Pirellis cut it? Got Black Dog skid plate and side stand relocator on the way. Probably gonna get som Zega Pros too if I can bring myself to keep spending money.
I'd love to have a 990; if I wasn't so poor, I'd get one. Oh yea, this is the other reason I don't have one:



But I'll ride yours for ya!
__________________
Clint >>> 2007 XR650L <<<

----------------------------------
Good government is no substitute for self-government. Mahatma Gandhi

That government is best which governs least, because its people discipline themselves. - Thomas Jefferson
Memnok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:37 PM   #170
Off Limits
Really?
 
Off Limits's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Camp Snoopy
Oddometer: 3,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheeljunkie View Post
Brand spankin new (800 miles) KTM 990 Adventure with stock tires. Will the Pirellis cut it? Got Black Dog skid plate and side stand relocator on the way. Probably gonna get som Zega Pros too if I can bring myself to keep spending money.

i dont know what zega pros are but get a knobby front tire. is this your first bike ever? if it is make sure you are able to pick it up if it falls over, we all already have bad backs and are old farts.
__________________
We are not Assholes, we just see things the way they are! Selfish people live longer.
Off Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:57 PM   #171
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick
 
longtallsally's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: BACK IN THE STATES!!!
Oddometer: 4,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheeljunkie View Post
Brand spankin new (800 miles) KTM 990 Adventure with stock tires. Will the Pirellis cut it? Got Black Dog skid plate and side stand relocator on the way. Probably gonna get som Zega Pros too if I can bring myself to keep spending money.
Please tell me this is not your first bike. If so, it's cool, but that is a very powerful and capable machine. Pay very close attention to guidance from some of these clowns as you will be able to get in over your head real quick with that toy and there are some unforgiving places in DV.

I'm assuming those are Scorpions? They are acceptable near as I can tell, but I have no personal experience. It just depends on how silly you want to get.
__________________
[quote=Insert witty comment here]
longtallsally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:18 AM   #172
Windrat
just a poser
 
Windrat's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: The Beach
Oddometer: 1,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheeljunkie View Post
Brand spankin new (800 miles) KTM 990 Adventure with stock tires. Will the Pirellis cut it? Got Black Dog skid plate and side stand relocator on the way. Probably gonna get som Zega Pros too if I can bring myself to keep spending money.
if you plan to ride in the dirt get knobby tires... you will need good riding gear
can you fix a flat on the road... I could go on...
death valley has some great eazy riding but tools spares and riding gear are a must have
__________________
I wanted one last view for the day... A place where I could see the water
Windrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:51 PM   #173
2wheeljunkie
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: California
Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
Please tell me this is not your first bike. If so, it's cool, but that is a very powerful and capable machine. Pay very close attention to guidance from some of these clowns as you will be able to get in over your head real quick with that toy and there are some unforgiving places in DV.

I'm assuming those are Scorpions? They are acceptable near as I can tell, but I have no personal experience. It just depends on how silly you want to get.
Not my first bike. I'm pretty sure I would be dead already if it was. I've been playing in the dirt quite a bit already but mostly fire roads and easier trails. I can change a tire and I got me some mechanical skills, outdoor skills and all that but I think I might sit this out after all. Reading back through all the posts, It looks like most folks are riding smaller dual sports and not so much the big bikes eh?
2wheeljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #174
luv2race
Confused
 
luv2race's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: OC
Oddometer: 2,311
If you can ride up this kinda stuff you'll be fine. If rocky step-ups aren't for you, don't go.

__________________
John
luv2race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:13 PM   #175
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!
 
notmybikemodelname's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: I'm in jail Dad, and I like it here.............
Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2race View Post
If you can ride up this kinda stuff you'll be fine. If rocky step-ups aren't for you, don't go.

Speaking of that dickhead, are you going?
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:14 PM   #176
Lost Rider
Roadie
 
Lost Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Ventura County, California Republic
Oddometer: 3,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheeljunkie View Post
Not my first bike. I'm pretty sure I would be dead already if it was. I've been playing in the dirt quite a bit already but mostly fire roads and easier trails. I can change a tire and I got me some mechanical skills, outdoor skills and all that but I think I might sit this out after all. Reading back through all the posts, It looks like most folks are riding smaller dual sports and not so much the big bikes eh?


Sounds like to me you have all the basics you need, including the right attitude from your previous posts.
Some people feel they need to have lightweight high performance, very specialized bikes with all the specific bits to ride dirt roads, others just ride what they got and have fun just the same.
Your bike is perfect for DV.

Up Golar wash and down Mengel Pass on a R1200R with track tires.




BTW, speaking of Golar wash, the photo posted above this post, there's no steps there, it's a grated gravel road so far this year, or was when I was there not long ago.

Come on out and ride if you want to ride in groups, you'll find folks appropriate to ride with at any of the ADV DV get togethers. There's plenty of good safe non-technical riding out there that's big bike friendly, matter of fact I'd say 90% of the riding you would do at these events is big bike friendly.
One can never improve their skills if they don't test them.
__________________
Photography for me is not about recreating what I saw through
the viewfinder but to show people the way I want to see the world.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:22 PM   #177
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!
 
notmybikemodelname's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: I'm in jail Dad, and I like it here.............
Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Sounds like to me you have all the basics you need, including the right attitude from your previous posts.
Some people feel they need to have lightweight high performance, very specialized bikes with all the specific bits to ride dirt roads, others just ride what they got and have fun just the same.
Your bike is perfect for DV.

Up Golar wash and down Mengel Pass on a R1200R with track tires.




BTW, speaking of Golar wash, the photo posted above this post, there's no steps there, it's a grated gravel road so far this year, or was when I was there not long ago.

Come on out and ride if you want to ride in groups, you'll find folks appropriate to ride with at any of the ADV DV get togethers. There's plenty of good safe non-technical riding out there that's big bike friendly, matter of fact I'd say 90% of the riding you would do at these events is big bike friendly.
One can never improve their skills if they don't test them.
Finn,

I'd bump that up to 98% is big bike friendly. But in the middle of that 98% is where the 2% will bite ya on a big bike. However, the OP should take comfort in the fatc that we always wait for people at the tough spots and no one gets left behind. Besides, if we didn't wait at the tough spots, we'd never hav any good pics, would we?
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #178
Lost Rider
Roadie
 
Lost Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Ventura County, California Republic
Oddometer: 3,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname View Post
Finn,

I'd bump that up to 98% is big bike friendly. But in the middle of that 98% is where the 2% will bite ya on a big bike. However, the OP should take comfort in the fatc that we always wait for people at the tough spots and no one gets left behind. Besides, if we didn't wait at the tough spots, we'd never hav any good pics, would we?


True that.


My main point is the fellow should come on out if he wants to, his bike is perfect for DV and it shouldn't matter what other folks posting in here are riding when deciding.

There will be plenty of 400+ pound DS bikes around, and few are better suited for DV that his IMO.
__________________
Photography for me is not about recreating what I saw through
the viewfinder but to show people the way I want to see the world.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:12 PM   #179
Off Limits
Really?
 
Off Limits's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Camp Snoopy
Oddometer: 3,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheeljunkie View Post
Not my first bike. I'm pretty sure I would be dead already if it was. I've been playing in the dirt quite a bit already but mostly fire roads and easier trails. I can change a tire and I got me some mechanical skills, outdoor skills and all that but I think I might sit this out after all. Reading back through all the posts, It looks like most folks are riding smaller dual sports and not so much the big bikes eh?
With these kind of gatherings, there's usually a lot more people and bike variety then you actually see posted up on here. I wouldn't be suprised if there's 5 or more 990 adventures out there that weekend. Not to mention the BMW gs1200 crowd. I wouldn't hesitate to show up on a Harley and ride pavement all weekend. It really is that nice out there.
__________________
We are not Assholes, we just see things the way they are! Selfish people live longer.
Off Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #180
Memnok
Fly high, go far.
 
Memnok's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Turlock, Ca
Oddometer: 347
Almost ready for DVDaze! I've replaced the oil in my foot pegs, change the windshield wipers, and I'm rewiring the Flux Capacitor as we speak!



Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
Clint >>> 2007 XR650L <<<

----------------------------------
Good government is no substitute for self-government. Mahatma Gandhi

That government is best which governs least, because its people discipline themselves. - Thomas Jefferson
Memnok is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014