ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 01:49 AM   #106
RAZR OP
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by radbrad511 View Post
Working out those dates. Gonna try to book a spot around January 2 if all goes to plan. Stuck in Montucky till then!! How do you guys get 200+ miles out of a tank of gas? XR4 (4.2 gals.) is good for around 35-40? MPG. 140 miles to be safe. I can carry 2 more gals. in my MSR bag. That is still just around 200 miles total. Perhaps I can milk a little more on fast roads with a tall gear (15-43). Are the trails like Baja fast and open? Or should I work on a plan to carry 7+ gallons of fuel Exxon Valdez style.

How much range does your bike have?

Hope to join you all!
I have a 6.6 gallon on my EXC. gets me close to 200-250 depending on terrain and gearing.
I run 14-48 for Death Valley.

if you have to, bring MSR bottles or a bladder or a milk jug for extra gas.

the terrain isn't hard at all. Echo Cyn and Goler have steps but no biggie.

some ppl feel that Lippencott and Steel Pass are somewhat difficult.

the rest is wide forest type gravel roads with some rocky sections.

come out !
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:08 AM   #107
Cannabinoid
Banned

Oddometer: 739
fixed

Cannabinoid screwed with this post 11-05-2013 at 07:41 PM
Cannabinoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:38 AM   #108
almissoula
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Booked Thu-Sun. Right now its just me riding in on the R1150GS but obviously reserved it for 8 people and an RV with dogs in case anyone needs a spot. See y'all there!

PS - to the folks who ride in, where do you pick up firewood?

almissoula screwed with this post 12-17-2012 at 12:23 PM
almissoula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:31 PM   #109
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Longriders View Post
Is it faster to come up trona road or out the 15 past dumont dunes?
I think its about the same either way. I prefer going through Trona just to get off the beaten path.
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #110
radbrad511
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
Razr-

Thank you for pointing out my stupidness. NUKED! Go Snatchsquatch!!!
radbrad511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #111
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by almissoula View Post

PS - to the folks who ride in, where do you pick up firewood?
At the Furnace Creek store, about 400 yards from camp.

Walk south through camp to the Airport rd, turn left to the main road, turn right and walk past the gas station to Furnace Creek Resort.
There's a general store, a cafe, a bar/pizza place, and a nice restaurant all right at the entrance.

Or you can hop on your bike, it's about a 2 minute (if that ride), only longer because you have to go north all the way to the exit of the campground and then head south back to the store...
Old 12-17-2012, 05:42 PM   #112
almissoula
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu View Post
At the Furnace Creek store, about 400 yards from camp.

Walk south through camp to the Airport rd, turn left to the main road, turn right and walk past the gas station to Furnace Creek Resort.
There's a general store, a cafe, a bar/pizza place, and a nice restaurant all right at the entrance.

Or you can hop on your bike, it's about a 2 minute (if that ride), only longer because you have to go north all the way to the exit of the campground and then head south back to the store...
Dude that answers more questions than you think. Thanks!

Last newbie comment of the day for me has to do with GPS, Spot, 'that little dot on the map is me', etc. I don't have one. I kind of like the caveman aspect of navigating by AAA and Benchmark maps. Does anyone think that's crazy in a bad way, should I go farkle up my bike with a nuvi right now?
Old 12-17-2012, 05:48 PM   #113
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,299
fuck a gps.

use the maps, then if ya get lost, thats what an iphone is for.

theres also an app for the iphone that you can record the path you've taken so you can double back etc.
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:59 PM   #114
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Quote:

Last newbie comment of the day for me has to do with GPS, Spot, 'that little dot on the map is me', etc. I don't have one. I kind of like the caveman aspect of navigating by AAA and Benchmark maps. Does anyone think that's crazy in a bad way, should I go farkle up my bike with a nuvi right now?
If you're getting a gps, fuck the Nuvi noobie. They're trash. Get a used 276/376 or a Montana.

The only people who like naviguessing the old way have never actually owned a GPS. Why make your life harder when you're actually out to ride and enjoy yourself. The better you know where you are the more time you can spend seeing more and knowing what you're seeing.

Or.......you could just ride with someone who has a GPS and knows how to use it.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:28 PM   #115
Lasherman
Ah Sh!t!

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname View Post
If you're getting a gps, fuck the Nuvi noobie. They're trash. Get a used 276/376 or a Montana.

The only people who like naviguessing the old way have never actually owned a GPS. Why make your life harder when you're actually out to ride and enjoy yourself. The better you know where you are the more time you can spend seeing more and knowing what you're seeing.

Or.......you could just ride with someone who has a GPS and knows how to use it.
GPS is nice because then the whole "Where the fuck am I" and "how the hell do I ge to were I want to be" goes away. Lets you relax and enjoy the ride more. I have a DeLorme PN40 but GPS is pricy. There will be a lot of experienced riders and other GPS people in camp.

On a totally different side not........has anybody looked at the Bikini web site? Holy fuck I need to bring my moose gun.
Lasherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:40 PM   #116
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasherman View Post
GPS is nice because then the whole "Where the fuck am I" and "how the hell do I ge to were I want to be" goes away. Lets you relax and enjoy the ride more. I have a DeLorme PN40 but GPS is pricy. There will be a lot of experienced riders and other GPS people in camp.

On a totally different side not........has anybody looked at the Bikini web site? Holy fuck I need to bring my moose gun.
Been there many times, and yes, some are rotund. But we don't go for the bitches, we go because it's the only watering hole once you get over that direction without having to go into Beatty. The drinks are fairly cheap and always very strong. Johnny law patrols over there too much to chance a trip through town after a few.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:42 AM   #117
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,183
Quote:

Stu is always here to help.

On the GPS, I got into them a long while back and have a few. I love having them, but at 12/21 approaches, I'm thinking I need to go back and freshen my orienteering skills. Some of the guys I've ridden with and I did it in Baja, use both.

The one saving grace to the GPS is that if you are a working stiff with a limited amount of time, you can create a route before hand and then plug and play, whereas with maps, it can be much more time consuming and take up a lot more space. The GPS is really the main reason I have been able to do so many miles in such a short period of time. I'd either have to be member of the "occupy" movement or independently wealthy to do all the exploring I've done with a paper map in the same period of time.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:05 AM   #118
Lasherman
Ah Sh!t!

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname View Post
Been there many times, and yes, some are rotund. But we don't go for the bitches, we go because it's the only watering hole once you get over that direction without having to go into Beatty. The drinks are fairly cheap and always very strong. Johnny law patrols over there too much to chance a trip through town after a few.
Good point.....
Lasherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:01 AM   #119
almissoula
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
Stu is always here to help.

On the GPS, I got into them a long while back and have a few. I love having them, but at 12/21 approaches, I'm thinking I need to go back and freshen my orienteering skills. Some of the guys I've ridden with and I did it in Baja, use both.

The one saving grace to the GPS is that if you are a working stiff with a limited amount of time, you can create a route before hand and then plug and play, whereas with maps, it can be much more time consuming and take up a lot more space. The GPS is really the main reason I have been able to do so many miles in such a short period of time. I'd either have to be member of the "occupy" movement or independently wealthy to do all the exploring I've done with a paper map in the same period of time.
Cool I can't wait to get lost only to fire up a gps and get routed directly to those heffers down at the bikini
Old 12-18-2012, 12:03 PM   #120
Memnok
Fly high, go far.

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Cool I can't wait to get lost only to fire up a gps and get routed directly to those heffers down at the bikini

----------------------------------
Good government is no substitute for self-government. Mahatma Gandhi

That government is best which governs least, because its people discipline themselves. - Thomas Jefferson
Memnok is offline   Reply With Quote