Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 03:33 PM   #166
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,555
Discussion questions:

Why does the mere existence of KLR's on the planet threaten, anger, and/or annoy some?

What is the desired outcome from bashing KLR''s?

What is the actual result of flaming KLR's and their riders?

FULL DISCLOSURE: I am no KLR's uber alles partisan; I harbor no malice against anyone else's make and model of motorcycle. Further, putting down another's ride will not improve the quality of my own, nor confirm my wisdom in its purchase.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #167
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post
You absolutely can afford one, mate. That's one of the common misconceptions that are tossed around. They are around the same prices as Japanese bikes.

You can get a well-kitted out EXC for 3-4k 04-07 for a small ADV bike/singletrack duties and a Husky T610 KTM 640 for around the same price for a middleweight ADV bike.
One of the common themes i've noticed in these threads is that the Euro haters all only focus on the "New" prices. To mean this means they buy bikes on credit, not with cash. I'd be bitter if I didn't have the ability to come up with a few grand to spend on eurotrash too. Hell I was when I was in school, but I sure as shit didn't finance anything either.
Of course the bike doesn't exist, this entire forum is here because the right bike doesn't exist but the right people do, and they make the trip anyway.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:51 PM   #168
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post
Discussion questions:

Why does the mere existence of KLR's on the planet threaten, anger, and/or annoy some?

What is the desired outcome from bashing KLR''s?

What is the actual result of flaming KLR's and their riders?

FULL DISCLOSURE: I am no KLR's uber alles partisan; I harbor no malice against anyone else's make and model of motorcycle. Further, putting down another's ride will not improve the quality of my own, nor confirm my wisdom in its purchase.
The KLR is a compromised bike. Every bike is compromised. It's heavy, reasonably slow, doesn't have enough suspension travel, and all the rest. It's dead scary in sand or mud. However, the KLR defined the modern dual-sport motorcycle. The KTM fans wouldn't have the KTM if Kawasaki didn't bite the bullet in '87 and say "Let's build a tractor of a thumper." I love my '07.

I wake up in the morning on North Ontario. I brew coffee, have a little breakfast, break down the tent and pack the sleeping bag. I've still got abut 150 miles in the tank, after riding a full day. There are paved roads and gravel ahead, and perhaps some trails.

I am on the correct machine. It's a good day. I'm happy.

Dual Sport Luggage Racks for: DRZ-S, SM and E, DR 650 and KLR650: http://www.moto-racks.com
Old 12-06-2012, 03:51 PM   #169
Stinky151
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
I get what your saying on cost, but $3K was more than I had when I bought it. I was scraping every penny for the $1500 to buy what I have. Then I had to save months for each mod. I would have had to wait another two years to buy a KTM. I couldn't wait that long to get a bike, as I didn't have the goldwing at the time. Having the KLR kept me same through an ugly divorce and ultimately saved my life, but that is for another thread.

With the new wife, I will probably get more bikes one day, and maybe even an orange one. Like I said, I like me. But alas, now, the boys are getting their first bikes and that is where the money goes.

It's about priorities mate. My KLR is over the top at this point, but works wonderfully for what I need. Right now the boys get priority on money, as my toy does not need any spent on it.

"If you're in control, you're not going fast enough." -- Parnelli Jones
Old 12-06-2012, 03:58 PM   #170
kojack
My bikes Suck!

Oddometer: 891
I think the KLR is the best bang for the buck motorcycle out there....you get a bike that can get you anywhere. it can get you up the highways, around town, on the dirt etc. No, you can jump table tops, no you can't lauch 30ft'rs but you can go ANYWHERE....and as 3999.00 brand new canadian dollars is one big huge whopping deal!....I had my 2008 for 3 years...just did oil changes and added extras, never had any problems with my bike burning oil, probably used 1/4 liter between oil changes....i DONT CARE ABOUT THAT. Suspension is sprung softly....add a couple 100 dollar springs front and rear and your gold, theres enough power to haul me, wife, gear around anywhere we wanted to go at 60 plus mph. Zero issues with my bike. I have friends who have 640/690 bikes and have issues that I dont want with mine....

Hence when I bring back a bunch of bikes to sell up here from florida, theres gonna be a 2012 blue KLR in that trailer for me! oh, and a vaquero!
Old 12-06-2012, 03:58 PM   #171
GREGRIDES
n00b

Oddometer: 8
XDragRacer - good on ya

I agree w/you--I've had Hondas, Yamahas, Suzukis & KTMs, they're all great fun (no Kawasakis, yet).

Somebody on this site has a tag line "it was the best bike I ever had, when I had it" which sums up my experiences with them all.

I've had to spend money on all of them, because I do fall off, wear tires out, change stuff, etc. I know enough about wrenching to know that somebody else should do the serious work, or I have to pay them to fix my mistakes, too.

I like most guys/gals who ride, regardless of what they're on, usually. On several Baja excursions, we've had Hondas, KTMs Husas, Betas, Kawasakis, Yamahas & Suzukis--none of them are perfect, none. But, we all help each other out, aside from tossing out a little banter back & forth.

It's about riding & having fun, who cares that much what you ride--I could be wrong, but I don't think anybody on this site is a sponsored rider . . .
Old 12-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #172
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post
When you grow up and can have a discussion without popping a blood vessel or writing a half a page trying to flame me, perhaps you can join in again.

Many of the riders on this forum are older guys that have no use for the flat-brim hat, low-pants wearing crowd.

Hence, when I made my comment, most of the people here understood my meaning. Because you are young, immature and quick to anger, you missed the deeper meaning.

Since you just joined ADV, you might want to stop posting and just lurk for a while.

Seriously think before you respond. Take a breath.
Maybe you're pretending like you can boot me from the conversation here...? There's no need for me to "join in again", here I am now. I've been lurking here on ADVRider for years, mature old person. I don't think anyone but smug KTM dudes understood your comments in this thread because those are the only people your comments could potentially resonate with. But I'm still trying to imagine what other KTM owners think of your "tractor-like" comment about KTMs...wow That's definitely a new one! I think even most KTM owners smell your taint...except for maybe CodyY. What decent KTM owner would let another KTM owner say that orange bikes are "tractor-like"...?

You've stated them over and over but it's obvious your beliefs as stated in this thread are just trollish and smug at best. You can't directly respond to anything in my posts attacking your beliefs...which only confirms your trolling nature. Your posts here have implied and explicitly stated a bunch of crap you haven't even tried to back up. Examples:
"Euro dual sports dominate the dual sport market". FALSE, Jap's sell 10x the bikes Europeans do in pretty much every design type. You're lust for performance doesn't change the reality of sales in the market.
"People think the KLR should be able to do table tops". How can you possible be serious!?

My dream bike was a 990 ADV until I've read from people in my regional ADVRider forum that the 950s are generally more reliable. Then I still read a bunch of issues with the 950s and decided I'm definitely not going orange. Oh jeeze, I'm so sorry I haven't updated my profile (don't worry, my naughty pics are coming) Obviously CodyY is just looking for dirt to dig up because he's got no face or dignity to lose in this conversation.

Off the grid, I'm sorry you perceive my ability to type quickly and efficiently and direct effective attacks at you as being obsessed with this discussion and therefore you. I am getting paid to sit here at work and do nothing but surf the web right now. This discussion and combating your ridiculous "contributions" to it is far from an obsession. Like I said, you're a troll. If it takes more than one paragraph to make that evident to even the most lowly of intellects such as yourself, then I'm willing to give this education thing a shot myself
Old 12-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #173
jeepsandbikes
loneadventurer

Oddometer: 102
i dont know why people even bother to argue with trolls .
klr - inexpensive , easy to find parts for and lots of aftermarket parts too .
And most guys who buy them like to fuck around with them , its a hobby . make it right for you .
yes its underpowered and a bit of a pig .
mine has been a tank , donkey , pig ...a tonkig if you like .
i ride mine every day cold, hot and sometimes just warm .. i ride the piss out of it, just turned 80 000 km old last week .
rode it out to the east coast , then to the west as well as all over ontario . it has left me stranded zero times . i can pull the whole bike apart in no time , anywhere .
I like to mod my stuff , or throw money at it . do i want a ktm , no not really . im sure they have the good and the bad like any other bike . i would sooner get a versys . or pilfer a versys motor for my klr

basically the klr was never meant to be high powered , it was meant to be a workhorse , thats why the country south of me has them as military vehicles .. do they use ktms?
and just because its old tech does not make it crap . give me any old drill press , lathe or anvil over new stuff thats made disposable .
flame away ..........
Old 12-06-2012, 04:05 PM   #174
kojack
My bikes Suck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsandbikes View Post
i dont know why people even bother to argue with trolls .
klr - inexpensive , easy to find parts for and lots of aftermarket parts too .
And most guys who buy them like to fuck around with them , its a hobby . make it right for you .
yes its underpowered and a bit of a pig .
mine has been a tank , donkey , pig ...a tonkig if you like .
i ride mine every day cold, hot and sometimes just warm .. i ride the piss out of it, just turned 80 000 km old last week .
rode it out to the east coast , then to the west as well as all over ontario . it has left me stranded zero times . i can pull the whole bike apart in no time , anywhere .
I like to mod my stuff , or throw money at it . do i want a ktm , no not really . im sure they have the good and the bad like any other bike . i would sooner get a versys . or pilfer a versys motor for my klr

basically the klr was never meant to be high powered , it was meant to be a workhorse , thats why the country south of me has them as military vehicles .. do they use ktms?
and just because its old tech does not make it crap . give me any old drill press , lathe or anvil over new stuff thats made disposable .
flame away ..........
would not bother with the motor swap....just go big bore....I got rid of my KLR for a versys so my wife and i have more room, and more power/comfort for touring. I tell ya what tho, the KLR will be back in my fleet before very long...as I said. the versys is an amazing bike however, so much fun, still run some dirt roads, and blast past the squids on the sport bikes too!

btw, got a lifted JK U as well!
Old 12-06-2012, 05:09 PM   #175
jeepsandbikes
loneadventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by kojack View Post
would not bother with the motor swap....just go big bore....I got rid of my KLR for a versys so my wife and i have more room, and more power/comfort for touring. I tell ya what tho, the KLR will be back in my fleet before very long...as I said. the versys is an amazing bike however, so much fun, still run some dirt roads, and blast past the squids on the sport bikes too!

btw, got a lifted JK U as well!
i just like the idea of having something different too , another guy built a klr-e really nice looking machine . my bike is setup for long distance now anyway so its comfy . i would pick up a kle500 if they sold them in canada . i guess another option would be a ex500 swap . they are easy to find and cheap . almost bought one two weeks ago for 500 , but i got another klr instead ..lol
Old 12-06-2012, 05:38 PM   #176
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myfuture_yourdebt View Post
Maybe you're pretending like you can boot me from the conversation here...? There's no need for me to "join in again", here I am now. I've been lurking here on ADVRider for years, mature old person. I don't think anyone but smug KTM dudes understood your comments in this thread because those are the only people your comments could potentially resonate with. But I'm still trying to imagine what other KTM owners think of your "tractor-like" comment about KTMs...wow That's definitely a new one! I think even most KTM owners smell your taint...except for maybe CodyY. What decent KTM owner would let another KTM owner say that orange bikes are "tractor-like"...?

You've stated them over and over but it's obvious your beliefs as stated in this thread are just trollish and smug at best. You can't directly respond to anything in my posts attacking your beliefs...which only confirms your trolling nature. Your posts here have implied and explicitly stated a bunch of crap you haven't even tried to back up. Examples:
"Euro dual sports dominate the dual sport market". FALSE, Jap's sell 10x the bikes Europeans do in pretty much every design type. You're lust for performance doesn't change the reality of sales in the market.
"People think the KLR should be able to do table tops". How can you possible be serious!?

My dream bike was a 990 ADV until I've read from people in my regional ADVRider forum that the 950s are generally more reliable. Then I still read a bunch of issues with the 950s and decided I'm definitely not going orange. Oh jeeze, I'm so sorry I haven't updated my profile (don't worry, my naughty pics are coming) Obviously CodyY is just looking for dirt to dig up because he's got no face or dignity to lose in this conversation.

Off the grid, I'm sorry you perceive my ability to type quickly and efficiently and direct effective attacks at you as being obsessed with this discussion and therefore you. I am getting paid to sit here at work and do nothing but surf the web right now. This discussion and combating your ridiculous "contributions" to it is far from an obsession. Like I said, you're a troll. If it takes more than one paragraph to make that evident to even the most lowly of intellects such as yourself, then I'm willing to give this education thing a shot myself
When he says "dominate" he is talking about performance not sales, how hard is that to comprehend? I don't have any problem with KTM's being described as tractor like, hell lump Huskys in there too. Their engine characteristics are very linear and smooth, much like a tractor's, except they rev. As to reliability, you along with many others on this site confuse reliability with neglectability. If you're good to a KTM it'll be good back, and it sure as shit isn't going to break when it gets dropped on a dirt road.
Of course the bike doesn't exist, this entire forum is here because the right bike doesn't exist but the right people do, and they make the trip anyway.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:44 PM   #177
helipilot650l
Sweet!!!!!!

Oddometer: 161
Silly Kmart trail masters

KLRs are great. I have an xr675L that I love very much. Worked as a ktm sales and service manager. Never bought one my self, my CRF450X and XR675 run flawlessly and I don't spend a lot of money on parts. Your klr's are great scooters.

helipilot650l screwed with this post 12-07-2012 at 08:56 AM
Old 12-06-2012, 10:55 PM   #178
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
However, the KLR defined the modern dual-sport motorcycle. The KTM fans wouldn't have the KTM if Kawasaki didn't bite the bullet in '87 and say "Let's build a tractor of a thumper."
Geez, what a load of bollocks. Google "Honda XR600" or "Yamaha TT600" (or even "Suzuki DR600").
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:08 AM   #179
kojack
My bikes Suck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolf View Post
Geez, what a load of bollocks. Google "Honda XR600" or "Yamaha TT600" (or even "Suzuki DR600").
Yes they were out before that, but were not classified as an adventure style bike. Klr had wind protection and was geared more for the slab than the others. And had more room for the rider. I owned an 88 xl600, and the cockpit was way cramped, same with the Dr and xrl. The klr had more room between the seat and the pegs.

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-07-2012, 02:51 AM   #180
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolf View Post
Devastating argument. So that's why air-cooled, kick-started machines dominate the dual-sport market to this day?

You conveniently left out the KLR600, which is where Kawasaki learned that a kicker on a big single doesn't always bring joy to the owner. . .

Dual Sport Luggage Racks for: DRZ-S, SM and E, DR 650 and KLR650: http://www.moto-racks.com
Closed Thread