Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 11:36 PM   #241
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
If your Motorcycling is hauling your bike to an off road area, get a light weight dirt bike. Doesn't even need a license.
If your thing is riding in OHV parks you wouldn't understand why some riders like the old school bikes.
And conversely, if you don't ride off-road, then you wouldn't understand why some of us want some serious technical performance in our DUAL purpose bikes. On-road, off-road, and everything in between... sometimes that involves trailering, mostly it doesn't, but I don't give a FYYFF how you classify it, I'm having fun with my adventure motorcycle!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:24 AM   #242
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandoCommando View Post
You can only go so fast over rocks and through the woods. I'm pretty sure my KLR could keep up with any bike under those conditions.
False...completely false.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandoCommando View Post
Yep.
You confirmed what everyone else was saying and thinking.
You're an idiot.
Bye bye
Did you really just pitch a fit and start calling names because Cody told the truth?
09 TE450
Old 12-10-2012, 05:36 AM   #243
kojack
My bikes Suck!

Oddometer: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
False...completely false.

Did you really just pitch a fit and start calling names because Cody told the truth?
I agree with the KLR keeping up...I'm a fan of the KLR but agree that there are faster bikes through the rocks....but hey....most of those bikes are way more uncomfortable during the other 90 percent of the riding done.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:53 AM   #244
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojack View Post
i agree with the klr keeping up...i'm a fan of the klr but agree that there are faster bikes through the rocks....but hey....most of those bikes are way more uncomfortable during the other 90 percent of the riding i do.
fify
09 TE450
Old 12-10-2012, 09:52 AM   #245
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post
The KTM 690 makes 61hp stock.
At the crank,maybe. Not at the wheel.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:59 AM   #246
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY View Post
Explain to me why all these guys have done big bore motors and KX front ends and all this other crap if Im wrong.

Instead of being a child and saying nanny nanny boo boo, tell me. If Im such an idiot it should be pretty easy for a MENSA member such as yourself

some electrons were mildly inconvenienced in the sending of this message
Hopping up a KLR is as close to putting lipstick on a pig as can be done these days. The skinny little frame is designed from the get-go for the little skinny forks the bike comes with.
Nice fat rigid upside down forks are only going to transfer wobble some where else,or break the frame.
Engineers build these bikes the way they are for a reason,almost like a package.

Then the KLR engine is as wide as many twins and weighs a ton,as does the rest of the bike.
I know its neat to fall deeply in love with an under achiever and spend truck loads of cash and hours on it but its hard to get even 1/3 of that money back at resale.

But projects are fun and its fun to try to out think the engineer who designed the bike,doesnt happen that way much.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:10 AM   #247
NovaMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
+10 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by foot dragger View Post
hopping up a klr is as close to putting lipstick on a pig as can be done these days. The skinny little frame is designed from the get-go for the little skinny forks the bike comes with.
Nice fat rigid upside down forks are only going to transfer wobble some where else,or break the frame.
Engineers build these bikes the way they are for a reason,almost like a package.

Then the klr engine is as wide as many twins and weighs a ton,as does the rest of the bike.
I know its neat to fall deeply in love with an under achiever and spend truck loads of cash and hours on it but its hard to get even 1/3 of that money back at resale.

But projects are fun and its fun to try to out think the engineer who designed the bike,doesnt happen that way much.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #248
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Laugh People love to bash something.....human natures an interesting thing lol

I've always found it interesting that people (men AND women) have the need to bash something...anything....whether its somebody elses bike, car, favorite team, wedding, kids, job, country, celebrity etc etc etc. Imagine how boring it would be if we just enjoyed life, comraderie, and the things that life has to offer....like riding motorcycles with fellow enthusiasts.

Ever wonder why folks always have the need to attack something? Anything? Is it an inability to relax and enjoy life and the folks around you? A deep seated lack of self-esteem? Sheer boredom? Some deep human need for drama?
I love my wife to death, and she's a sweetheart who will do anything for anybody.....but like most people she tends to take a very negative slant on everything, I have to keep on her, to keep her from getting too bad sometimes.

Me, I'm a laid back country boy who just enjoys life, and all the neat things that comes with it, especially riding with my close friends for the sheer joy of riding together....regardless of who rides what. I could care less what a person rides, when we go out its about the riding and the companionship
Needless to say I'm a very accepting guy, I don't believe in negativity in my life, I live a positive life and because of that I'm a people magnet.....its actually pretty easy when you realize you don't have to follow your caveman, warlike, negative roots and move beyond them to the truly good things in life.

I just wish more folks could take that next step........maybe we'll mature more as a race in another 1000 years if we survive that long. Its taken us thousands just to get as civilized as we are now
Old 12-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #249
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
I am sure even the posters here can figure out the difference between a sports car and a pick up truck.

Unless you haul all your crap in your Ferrari there is a place for both.
You'd think.

But then again, there are other options out there.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #250
Mnrider2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Why!

Why would people come on here and bash other peoples bikes?
If I wanted a woods bike I would buy one.Most of us who have KLR's have them to tour around on gravel roads and easy trails and it works fine for that.
Please let this thread die it's just stupid and not what ADV is all about.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:05 AM   #251
jeepsandbikes
loneadventurer

Oddometer: 106
[QUOTE=Foot dragger;20217970]Hopping up a KLR is as close to putting lipstick on a pig as can be done these days. QUOTE]
the same could be said about your DR
Old 12-10-2012, 11:21 AM   #252
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,634
I've had a KLR for a few years. After contemplation on it's shortcomings, I decided not to try for better forks, shocks, cam's, etc. Instead, I recently purchases a KTM 990. Power problem solved. 0-12 points in 5 seconds.

I'll probably be selling the '07 KLR, but it's such a nice bike for around town that I'm tempted to hang onto it. It's not like I'm going to get a lot of money for it. I must say tho, when I hopped back on the KLR for some errands last week, it felt like the throttle cable was attached to a cinder block.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:28 AM   #253
ntm1973
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
I've always found it interesting that people (men AND women) have the need to bash something...anything....whether its somebody elses bike, car, favorite team, wedding, kids, job, country, celebrity etc etc etc. Imagine how boring it would be if we just enjoyed life, comraderie, and the things that life has to offer....like riding motorcycles with fellow enthusiasts.

Ever wonder why folks always have the need to attack something? Anything? Is it an inability to relax and enjoy life and the folks around you? A deep seated lack of self-esteem? Sheer boredom? Some deep human need for drama?
I love my wife to death, and she's a sweetheart who will do anything for anybody.....but like most people she tends to take a very negative slant on everything, I have to keep on her, to keep her from getting too bad sometimes.

Me, I'm a laid back country boy who just enjoys life, and all the neat things that comes with it, especially riding with my close friends for the sheer joy of riding together....regardless of who rides what. I could care less what a person rides, when we go out its about the riding and the companionship
Needless to say I'm a very accepting guy, I don't believe in negativity in my life, I live a positive life and because of that I'm a people magnet.....its actually pretty easy when you realize you don't have to follow your caveman, warlike, negative roots and move beyond them to the truly good things in life.

I just wish more folks could take that next step........maybe we'll mature more as a race in another 1000 years if we survive that long. Its taken us thousands just to get as civilized as we are now
I don't think it is about bashing as much as it is about helping others find the right tool for the job. There is a place for a klr650 but it isn't a great dual sport if you want to venture into harder off-road areas. Yes, it can be done the same way I can use a pipe wrench to drive nails.

I went down the klr650 route and came to my senses before I sunk a ton of money into making it into something that it is not...ie: a good trail bike. I found a lot of great trail areas and got lucky a few times that could have really bit me in the ass. I don't dislike the bike, it isn't a bad machine for road touring up to hard double track but the OP asked about making a klr650 more powerful. If the bike needed a new top end, have at it. However, sinking a bunch of $$$ into the engine and still having a bike with the klr650's shortcomings may not be the best idea.

FWIW: I swtiched to a klx250s. It's WAY down on power but has enough for what I do. When it needs top end work, I'll sink some money in it and add some HP. I put it in the same category as the klr650, accept it for what it is and upgrade when needed OR buy something better from the start.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:55 AM   #254
moriver
Lets Go That Way?

Oddometer: 74
Lmao

What in the hell does half of this have to do with the OP question? Goofballs.....
Old 12-10-2012, 12:04 PM   #255
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntm1973 View Post
I don't think it is about bashing as much as it is about helping others find the right tool for the job. There is a place for a klr650 but it isn't a great dual sport if you want to venture into harder off-road areas. Yes, it can be done the same way I can use a pipe wrench to drive nails.

I went down the klr650 route and came to my senses before I sunk a ton of money into making it into something that it is not...ie: a good trail bike. I found a lot of great trail areas and got lucky a few times that could have really bit me in the ass. I don't dislike the bike, it isn't a bad machine for road touring up to hard double track but the OP asked about making a klr650 more powerful. If the bike needed a new top end, have at it. However, sinking a bunch of $$$ into the engine and still having a bike with the klr650's shortcomings may not be the best idea.

FWIW: I swtiched to a klx250s. It's WAY down on power but has enough for what I do. When it needs top end work, I'll sink some money in it and add some HP. I put it in the same category as the klr650, accept it for what it is and upgrade when needed OR buy something better from the start.

Just my 2 cents.
Don't go muddying up this thread with truth and common sense...

09 TE450
Closed Thread