Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #256
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 8,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntm1973 View Post
I don't think it is about bashing as much as it is about helping others find the right tool for the job. There is a place for a klr650 but it isn't a great dual sport if you want to venture into harder off-road areas. Yes, it can be done the same way I can use a pipe wrench to drive nails.
Helping -- yes, that attitude comes shining through so many posts on this thread ;-}

I would submit that anyone riding a KLR that is seriously disappointed in it's performance simply didn't have the coin to buy something else . . . the idea of all these porr innocents, being forced to beecome KLRistas at pistol point is, er, a lil comical, if neother else.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:40 PM   #257
dolphins13
orange rules

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber60015 View Post
Helping -- yes, that attitude comes shining through so many posts on this thread ;-}

I would submit that anyone riding a KLR that is seriously disappointed in it's performance simply didn't have the coin to buy something else . . . the idea of all these porr innocents, being forced to beecome KLRistas at pistol point is, er, a lil comical, if neother else.
Didnt the OP kinda invite klr bashing? Asking why the klr sucks at hp? I love friendly debates. You can actually learn a lot from them. As we dont all see the things the same way. But name calling and getting emotionally upset is kinda ignorant. Other wise There is some good info if you weed thru the nonsense. Cant we all just get along. And argue friendly a little?
Old 12-10-2012, 12:59 PM   #258
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,689
Quote:

The problem lies in that people buy KLRs for 1500 bucks, which is a decent bike at that price, and then dump 6 GRAND into them trying to make them something that they can never be.
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Old 12-10-2012, 01:00 PM   #259
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphins13 View Post
Didnt the OP kinda invite klr bashing? Asking why the klr sucks at hp? I love friendly debates. You can actually learn a lot from them. As we dont all see the things the same way. But name calling and getting emotionally upset is kinda ignorant. Other wise There is some good info if you weed thru the nonsense. Cant we all just get along. And argue friendly a little?
The OP reduced the KLR650s already meager horsepower statistics to that of the KLR250 in his initial post. Strangely enough, I know a couple of guys that can shred single-track on the KLR250, even with less than 20 hp. This thread started with a straw man argument, and hasn't gotten any closer to reason.

Why aren't the KTM 990's posting more first-place finishes in observed trials? Why does the bike suck in MotoGP? Why can't KTM draw more riders from Harley?

Obviously, it wasn't designed for that.

Putting the technology of the KLR up against that of the KTM is shooting fish in a barrel. Much of the tech on a KLR was old school in '87. No one put a gun to my head to purchase a KLR. I knew what I was getting into. It's a stodgy, simple, comfy plonker that doesn't take much from my wallet nor owe me anything, and can be taken -- albeit slowly -- pretty deep into the bush, and across the pavement that leads to the bush.

Many times, I'd rather think about the ride than the bike.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)

Canuman screwed with this post 12-10-2012 at 01:11 PM
Old 12-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #260
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post

Many times, I'd rather think about the ride than the bike.
As I make a sweeping left onto an empty county road, lightly scraping the outside of my peg (on knobbies). Clutching up the front tire through the top of 2nd into 3rd, clicking the gearbox into 4th the diaplay *just indicates triple digits. A light squeeze of the lever provides ample decelleration for the approaching curve where tarmac gives way to gravel. For me, they are equal parts of a nearly religous experience

some electrons were mildly inconvenienced in the sending of this message
Old 12-10-2012, 01:25 PM   #261
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY View Post
As I make a sweeping left onto an empty county road, lightly scraping the outside of my peg (on knobbies). Clutching up the front tire through the top of 2nd into 3rd, clicking the gearbox into 4th the diaplay *just indicates triple digits. A light aqueeze of the lever provides ample decelleration dor the approaching curve where tarmac gives way to gravel. For me, they are equal parts of a nearly religous experience

Right, I'll take that into account. There's a very nice place to observe triple digits in Ontario. I'll send you the coordinates. Say "hi" to the OPP for me.

(By the way, major points for good writing and lack of name-calling.)
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)

Canuman screwed with this post 12-10-2012 at 01:35 PM
Old 12-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #262
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
Right, I'll take that into account. There's a very nice place to observe triple digits in Ontario. I'll send you the coordinates. Say "hi" to the OPP for me.

(By the way, major points for good writing and lack of name-calling.)
not bad for sitting in traffic and on my cell. (apologies for the typos)

Old 12-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #263
Stinky151
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post
The problem lies in that people buy KLRs for 1500 bucks, which is a decent bike at that price, and then dump 6 GRAND into them trying to make them something that they can never be.
I totally get what your saying....

I spent a lot building mine.......but I was never trying to turn it into a KTM. No one forced me to do it. I looked around, rode other bikes, and lurked on here quite a bit. It is also my second KLR. I have logged tens of thousands of miles on various motorcycles. What I did was built EXACTLY what I wanted. I would have put the same kind of effort into building a KTM, Husky, XR, or pretty much anything else. I don't do motocross, I only ride single track with guys WAY more talented than I am, but my limitations are way beyond the bikes. I just simply built it how I wanted it. Some of it was foolish, I am sure, but my bike is a hell of a lot of fun now. And like I said in a earlier post, I used it to get through some very dark times in my life, both building and riding it. I am not going to justify WHY I spent the money on it, but I did and had a great time doing it. I learned a lot in the process, and improved some of my skills.

If I ever encourage anyone to look at a KLR, I tell them NOT to use mine as an example of what they should do.

But who cares about anyones reasoning, including those who have gotten so emotionally heated. What is the point. If folks are ashamed to ride me and my KLR, good for them. I still have people to ride with. Do I drool over my buddies more expensive, capable, exotic bikes? Yup. All the time. Do I know my pig of a KLR will get me anywhere I wanna go? Absolutely.

I do see the point of it being an outdated and heavy design, but I think any change to it would change the affordability of the bike. But who knows. Let everyone make their own decisions, for their own reasons. Getting upset or angry or bashing anyones bike just makes no sense. If thats what this thread HAS to be, just send it to jo mamma.

"If you're in control, you're not going fast enough." -- Parnelli Jones
Old 12-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #264
Stinky151
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
As I make a sweeping left onto an empty county road, lightly scraping the outside of my peg (on knobbies). Clutching up the front tire through the top of 2nd into 3rd, clicking the gearbox into 4th the diaplay *just indicates triple digits. A light squeeze of the lever provides ample decelleration for the approaching curve where tarmac gives way to gravel. For me, they are equal parts of a nearly religous experience

Very well written indeed. I can relate to all of it, except the triple digits part (unless that is KM/h)

Riding in many ways has made me who I am....

Old 12-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #265
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky151 View Post
Getting upset or angry or bashing anyones bike just makes no sense. If thats what this thread HAS to be, just send it to jo mamma.
What I like about this thread is watching human nature in action.....it can be fascinating
Old 12-10-2012, 01:59 PM   #266
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 8,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post
but why, exactly, is this a problem for you . . . . unless you are one of those people, and you are disappoitned?

Seriously, it's like folks racing sportsters in a marque-specific series . . . .sure, there's lots faster bikes, but there's all sorts of fun . . . .pick yours, and enjoy it!
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #267
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,264
Quote:
but why, exactly, is this a problem for you . . . . unless you are one of those people, and you are disappoitned?

Seriously, it's like folks racing sportsters in a marque-specific series . . . .sure, there's lots faster bikes, but there's all sorts of fun . . . .pick yours, and enjoy it!
If his problem is the same one I have, it's the "I bought this KLRDRXR for so much cheaper than I could have gotten one of those KTMHUSKYEURO thingies, and after dumping thousands into it I'm still into it for way less than a KTMHUSKYEURO thingy, and it's still way more reliable than a KTMHUSKYEURO thingy and I like to ride, not wrench" statements

Is just saying "I like KLRDRXR's, and I like to modify the shit out of them...it's what makes me happy" such a hard thing to say? Don't try to make the world believe you're someone special because you ride "everyplace" with "less", or that the only way to have a dependable bike is to own Japanese, or that only people who wear out sets of knobbies on pavement are having an adventure.

We all have our own adventures in our own way...and I hope you enjoy yours
09 TE450
Old 12-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #268
Stinky151
Gnarly Adventurer

I did say I was into mine less, yeah. I did the math before i bought it, and shopped around. i know i am into it less than a brand new one in stock form. Again, not WAY less. I would never be able to leave one stock. As far as reliability, I know mine is reliable, but cannot compare it to anything else. I have nothing to base that off of. Same with working on one. I know mine is dead simple. Not sure about husky or KTM or even an XR or DR, never worked on them. Again, who cares what you ride? Just ride.

And if it makes you feel better....Hi, I'm Lincoln. I ride a pig of a motorcycle and I love to modify the crap out of it. I did the same to my goldwing, and I would do the same to a KTM.

Have fun. Ride what ya want . Who cares what it is.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:03 PM   #269
apexeric
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Quote:

Can you tell me what type of oil that you are using in your KTM..........................

Old 12-10-2012, 03:14 PM   #270
Stinky151
Gnarly Adventurer

Be fair, I doubt the Kawi brand stuff is any cheaper. And my buddy runs rotella T in his KTM just like I run in my KLR

Closed Thread