ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 07:54 AM   #136
dmac1
Desert SW Luvr

Oddometer: 620
I pedaled to the Confluence once and it was ok, but nothing special. I think some overlooks in Canyon Rims area are better. If you see any red water mixing with green at the Confluence you musta already met up with Thad...or you are extremely lucky! Its probably worth doing just so you can see it though and tick it off the list.

I too might be interested in Robber's Roost, but thatsa high mileage day isn't it? I might have fuel issues...I'll have capacity for about 4 1/2 gallons.

I'm glad its not yet April. I've just pulled the head and cylinder off my bike and have to pull another this weekend then send both off for new valves and such. I'm nowhere near ready as far as gear/equipment but am working on it. Discovered I sold my smallest backpacking tent a few years ago, so need to find another. I have some GiantLoop bags on their way to me and a tank too.

I am not slow, but won't be powersliding corners and such, so i'm pretty sure I'll be in the last group. I'm 57..will be 58 by ride time and a 300 mile day like Assfault can do would likely put me on the IR for a while.

I am really looking forward to the ride though...essentially we'll be backpacking on dirt bikes through some new terrain for me (especially the southern part).

As far as what Thad describes for remote camping, thats pretty much what we usually do too (except now I have a fiver toyhauler which is especially nice on those cold/windy/wet days).

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
I really don't see the lead group as a death march, we have allot further to go then the camping group so that will require a good pace with less picture stops, this is too remote for highspeed. Like Assfault put it, we can se most of this from the seat of the bike as we pass through.

I personally would like to see the Confluence of the Green and Colorado Rivers after reading John Wesley Powell's story. Looks like it's a 6mi RT detour near Elephant Hill. I'd also like to see the Robbers Roost overlook on day 2, that's a group decision as well as any places the other riders want to see. If we can agree and the time is ok then we'll do a little sightseeing too. We just don't want to be rolling into a hotel at 11pm.

I've made some progress with the vintage iron. A few minor suspension and electrical details to button up and it will be ready.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:43 AM   #137
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,094
Quote:
The fun meter starts to wane about 6pm. Where are you planning on camping?
You know me...I'm totally fluid...a nomad of the west.

Actually I'm just waiting to see how y'all's ride shapes up as far as course and timing. When it all gels, I'll try to coordinate my time and location to at least be in position to harass some of you as you pass by. I think Blake might be interested in hooking up with me for the more leisurely rest home ride and camp scenario. And maybe a few more who have similar riding and camping preferences will join up.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #138
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,118
Quote:
I really don't see the lead group as a death march, we have allot further to go then the camping group so that will require a good pace with less picture stops, this is too remote for highspeed. Like Assfault put it, we can se most of this from the seat of the bike as we pass through.

I personally would like to see the Confluence of the Green and Colorado Rivers after reading John Wesley Powell's story. Looks like it's a 6mi RT detour near Elephant Hill. I'd also like to see the Robbers Roost overlook on day 2, that's a group decision as well as any places the other riders want to see. If we can agree and the time is ok then we'll do a little sightseeing too. We just don't want to be rolling into a hotel at 11pm.
Plan on an additional hour to go see the confluence. It's about a half mile hike from where you park at the end of the road. You'll want to get an early start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
You know me...I'm totally fluid...a nomad of the west.

Actually I'm just waiting to see how y'all's ride shapes up as far as course and timing. When it all gels, I'll try to coordinate my time and location to at least be in position to harass some of you as you pass by. I think Blake might be interested in hooking up with me for the more leisurely rest home ride and camp scenario. And maybe a few more who have similar riding and camping preferences will join up.
Since this is the typical week of our annual Utah trip, Paula might be interested in joining in some of your activities. If so, she can sag extra water and supplies to the camp site in the Swell. I might even forgo the night in Blanding, in favor of a campsite somewhere near Natural Bridges National Monument. Our toy hauler carries 100 gallons of water and 30 gallons of fuel. If this works out, I'm sure we would be open to sagging additional camping gear for others, with the limitation of not being able to reach locations like Beef Basin.

HellSickle screwed with this post 01-02-2013 at 09:06 AM
HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:14 AM   #139
TNC
Candyass Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
Plan on an additional hour to go see the confluence. It's about a half mile hike from where you park at the end of the road. You'll want to get an early start.
LOL!...Don't you love the way the park service, forest service, and BLM have pushed back the parking locations from many of the scenic spots in their location venues? Some of us who are old enough can remember many scenic spots where you could ride/drive right up to the viewpoint. Through the years, many/most of these spots have been pushed back further and further. Hey...I'm not a lazy turd who can't walk a few miles but doing so in MX boots and adding large amounts of time to the day's ride aren't usually what I'm trying to accomplish. I'm sure many will have a different opinion on this, but I think it sucks. If you've spent enough time driving/riding to get to some of these remote places in the outback, I just don't think you should have to spend a bunch of additional time hiking to get to the scenic goods. Sorry...rant over.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:23 AM   #140
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
LOL!...Don't you love the way the park service, forest service, and BLM have pushed back the parking locations from many of the scenic spots in their location venues? Some of us who are old enough can remember many scenic spots where you could ride/drive right up to the viewpoint. Through the years, many/most of these spots have been pushed back further and further. Hey...I'm not a lazy turd who can't walk a few miles but doing so in MX boots and adding large amounts of time to the day's ride aren't usually what I'm trying to accomplish. I'm sure many will have a different opinion on this, but I think it sucks. If you've spent enough time driving/riding to get to some of these remote places in the outback, I just don't think you should have to spend a bunch of additional time hiking to get to the scenic goods. Sorry...rant over.
In the 30 years I've been riding there, it's always been a hike to the overlook. Some ledges about 300 yards in would present a significant obstacle for the bikes. The 1/2 mile hike beats the 5 mile hike most folks need to take from the other trail head.

Now..... Salt wash / Angel Arch hikes are a real pisser. You used to be able to ride within 1/2 mile of Angel Arch. They shut that down ~10 years ago, despite one of the requirements when the park was created was to grandfather in existing motorized routes.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:44 AM   #141
TNC
Candyass Camper

Quote:
In the 30 years I've been riding there, it's always been a hike to the overlook. Some ledges about 300 yards in would present a significant obstacle for the bikes. The 1/2 mile hike beats the 5 mile hike most folks need to take from the other trail head.

Now..... Salt wash / Angel Arch hikes are a real pisser. You used to be able to ride within 1/2 mile of Angel Arch. They shut that down ~10 years ago, despite one of the requirements when the park was created was to grandfather in existing motorized routes.
Nope, wasn't referring to confluence overlook specifically. There's a definite "rockpile" from the parking area at that spot. I have a pic of my '85 KLR600 illegally parked on top of some of those rocks at the last possible place to ride that was taken nearly 30 years ago. I won't blame the park service for that one...mother nature on the other hand...

Yeah, it used to be a hoot to ride over to Angel Arch...and many other places that we can recall with fondness that are no longer available to us by motor. I'm looking forward to the Zombie Apocalypse when law and order fall to the wayside, and we go where we want, when we want...killing Zombies along the trail.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:46 AM   #142
dmac1
Desert SW Luvr

Whats the route like from the opposite side of Ruin Park to Ruin Park? If we could get sag in via that route seems like it would help the most for us campers on night 1 for a water and fuel delivery.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:52 AM   #143
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac1 View Post
Whats the route like from the opposite side of Ruin Park to Ruin Park? If we could get sag in via that route seems like it would help the most for us campers on night 1 for a water and fuel delivery.
Coming in from Cottonwood Canyon, it's quite doable by SUV *if* dry. If wet, or there's still snow on top, it could be impassable. Last time thru, it was dry and I saw a 2WD mini-van at the Lavender overlook.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:18 AM   #144
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,300
I really don’t think this will be a “death march ride”, each day the mileage will be very doable for a full day of riding. The great thing this ride offers is the ability to see a lot of the highlights of SE Utah in a long weekend, whereas you could easily spend a week moving around and camping each night to see the same stuff.

As a group though we will need to keep a decent pace because if not it could turn into very long days, but we will not need to ride at breakneck speeds. The terrain is really pretty easy and it is not a problem to keep a faster pace for 85% of the riding. From what I have seen with larger groups (hell, any group for that matter) the biggest issue that slows the ride down is frequent stops. However, the terrain (ie wide open and riders spread out) makes it very easy for an individual rider to stop take a picture, etc and jump right back in.

My guess is for the camping group we will be into camp by 1-2pm on Friday in Beef Basin and it will be a pretty easy day overall. The hotel group will have a much longer ride on day one.

For Day two the camping group will be on the bikes longer than the other group (making up a lot of the terrain they already covered) so we will need to be riding by 8 or so. Unless there are some real problems we should easily get into the Swell by 5-6 and we can probably still have plenty of time for Robbers Roost depending on how people feel.

Day 3 can then be finished up how ever people want with anything from a 1.5 hour ride back to Moab on the Hwy to hitting the Colored Trails in the Swell and single track in the Dubinky area.

I’m sure the mileage and riding will be very doable and enjoyable as long as people are experienced riders and don’t mind being on the bike for 8hrs each day.

I know its early for all this planning but its winter and Im board to death, so anyone willing to bite the bullet and ride sweep on my group

Also If people are interested it would be fun for everyone in town to meet up for dinner Thursday night.

Westfest 2013
Canyonlands Adventure Ride

COXR650L screwed with this post 01-02-2013 at 11:23 AM
COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #145
TNC
Candyass Camper

Quote:
Coming in from Cottonwood Canyon, it's quite doable by SUV *if* dry. If wet, or there's still snow on top, it could be impassable. Last time thru, it was dry and I saw a 2WD mini-van at the Lavender overlook.
Yeah, on that trip there was definitely evidence of it being a dry year overall. After I left y'all, I did that Hite/Maze ride, and I was tempted to cross the Dirty Devil river because it was so low...a relatively unusual thing in the first 2 weeks of May. Most of the times in late spring, it can be muddy in spots when going over the mountains from Needles Canyonlands to the Natural Bridges Monument area. And with just a little rain, much of the dirt surface on those roads in the area turn to gumbo.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:33 PM   #146
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 4,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by COXR650L View Post
Also If people are interested it would be fun for everyone in town to meet up for dinner Thursday night.
In
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #147
sknx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
dinner

Quote:
In
Most likely in for dinner as well.
Anybody else with a 450exc ? Still have to buy a larger gas tank. I hope a 3.4 acerbis and couple of 1.5 L primus cans will allow a 170 range if I'm behaving. Wondering if someone figured out a better option. Would like to avoid fitting a 6 G tank that I would use once in a blue moon.

----
Boby
sknx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:19 PM   #148
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 1,854
In for dinner on Thursaday evening. Just let me know where to go. Sy and I will be coming in on the Koko.

dmac1,
I'm gonna be 50 this year, so don't sweat the age thing. I just act like I'm 16 when riding.
I also have a replacement hip and a bad back. I just suck it up and enjoy the ride. A bad day riding trumps a good day at work anytime.

sknx,
I havent decided if I'm gonna take the 690r or the 450exc I just picked up. It came with a 6 gallon tank.
This thing is huge! I might look for a 4 gallon. Havent decided yet on which way to go. If I dont use the huge tank I'll let you know.
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:18 PM   #149
dmac1
Desert SW Luvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknx View Post
Most likely in for dinner as well.
Anybody else with a 450exc ? Still have to buy a larger gas tank. I hope a 3.4 acerbis and couple of 1.5 L primus cans will allow a 170 range if I'm behaving. Wondering if someone figured out a better option. Would like to avoid fitting a 6 G tank that I would use once in a blue moon.

----
Boby
I'm likely down for dinner too.

I'll be on a 450EXC and just ordered a 4 gallon Safari tank. I am planning to bring at least one 30 oz. MSR fuel bottle...and if I have room, two. It will do double duty for my stove which can burn unleaded.

Assfault....glad to hear you can still be so active with the bionic part(s). I'm getting close for a new knee but keep getting my original model lubed and holding it off.

Dave
Old 01-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #150
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,122
Range

Didn't we reduce the range to 113, max 150 back in post #16?