ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #151
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by sknx View Post
Most likely in for dinner as well.
Anybody else with a 450exc ? Still have to buy a larger gas tank. I hope a 3.4 acerbis and couple of 1.5 L primus cans will allow a 170 range if I'm behaving. Wondering if someone figured out a better option. Would like to avoid fitting a 6 G tank that I would use once in a blue moon.

----
Boby
Boby,

You should be fine with the 3.4 and a couple 1.5L. Just make sure its running good and not too rich. Im sure you'll be at 45-50mpg.

150 mile range will be fine.

Westfest 2013
Canyonlands Adventure Ride

COXR650L screwed with this post 01-03-2013 at 05:44 AM
COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:07 PM   #152
dmac1
Desert SW Luvr

Oddometer: 663
Following Chris' lead

A few pages back Chris posted a pic of his lightweight dirtbike. Looked good to me so thought I'd give it a try. Goes downhill GREAT!! Very flickable. Up...well...anybody bringing a tow strap?

Old 01-07-2013, 04:23 AM   #153
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac1 View Post
A few pages back Chris posted a pic of his lightweight dirtbike. Looked good to me so thought I'd give it a try. Goes downhill GREAT!! Very flickable. Up...well...anybody bringing a tow strap?

Tow strap is standard equip

Looks nice Dave! Are you sure you're not sneaking a 570 kit in there on us

I just finished a revalve/respring on the forks, messy job.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:57 AM   #154
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,792
Regarding range, I need to squeeze a little more out of the 3.5g Acerbis tank on my 2006 450 EXC. Like others, I'm hesitant to buy a monster tank that wouldn't be used very often. I have a couple of these units floating around the garage:

I love my HID light, so plan A will be to see if I can't rig a bracket in front of this tank to hold my stock headlight / number plate.

Plan B will be to rig a killer LED light on a RAM mount to attach to my bars. I've done the full DC conversion on this bike.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:32 AM   #155
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Nice Dave, this is a great time to work on the bike. Although the riding yesterday was pretty good (I have the huge bruise on my back to prove it)

Westfest 2013
Old 01-07-2013, 05:21 PM   #156
dmac1
Desert SW Luvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
Regarding range, I need to squeeze a little more out of the 3.5g Acerbis tank on my 2006 450 EXC. Like others, I'm hesitant to buy a monster tank that wouldn't be used very often. I have a couple of these units floating around the garage:

I love my HID light, so plan A will be to see if I can't rig a bracket in front of this tank to hold my stock headlight / number plate.

Plan B will be to rig a killer LED light on a RAM mount to attach to my bars. I've done the full DC conversion on this bike.
Lets see....lights or gas.... gas or lights..... IF you go fast enough, you won't need a light, so since you'll be riding with Chris' group, leave off the light and go with more fuel .

More seriously...how much gas does that tank hold? And what kind of bulb can you put in your stock light that gets you HID (and can the stock stator run it?). I put a PIAA super white in my Hondas and it made a huge difference.

Thanks!
Old 01-07-2013, 05:38 PM   #157
dmac1
Desert SW Luvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Tow strap is standard equip

Looks nice Dave! Are you sure you're not sneaking a 570 kit in there on us

I just finished a revalve/respring on the forks, messy job.
Yep....I always carry a strap too. Ya never know (knock on wood).

No big bore kit but I am gearing it back up to 14/50. The PO (we bought it in Aug) geared it down to 13/50.

Sounds good on your fork work! Your bike will be like new...better probably! Whats next?

I put in stiffer fork and shock springs before our White Wash trip but didn't have time for seals. Will do them after our trip, but hope to freshen the oil before we go.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:40 PM   #158
dmac1
Desert SW Luvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by COXR650L View Post
Nice Dave, this is a great time to work on the bike. Although the riding yesterday was pretty good (I have the huge bruise on my back to prove it)
Did you go ice racin?
Old 01-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #159
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Did you go ice racin?
No I wanted to take advantage of the good weather and went trail riding. I clipped a clump of yuckas and highsided pinned in 3rd gear good times

Westfest 2013
Old 01-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #160
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Quote:
Lets see....lights or gas.... gas or lights..... IF you go fast enough, you won't need a light, so since you'll be riding with Chris' group, leave off the light and go with more fuel .

More seriously...how much gas does that tank hold? And what kind of bulb can you put in your stock light that gets you HID (and can the stock stator run it?). I put a PIAA super white in my Hondas and it made a huge difference.

Thanks!
Tank holds just over a gallon. I have a light that uses an h4 bulb. You need to do a full dc conversion on the exc if you want to run hid or led lights. The newer FI ktms come with full DC.

I have a ram mount projector light with an h3 bulb. It produces enough light to get you out of the woods, but my eyes aren't getting any getter and I have gotten spoiled with hids.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:14 PM   #161
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:

Jeff, what about straping that down to the back of the bike? Got anything back there to lay it on like a rack?
Old 01-08-2013, 07:11 AM   #162
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Quote:
Jeff, what about straping that down to the back of the bike? Got anything back there to lay it on like a rack?
No, I've got tools & duffle for extra clothes back there. I've intentionally avoided putting on a rear rack so as to not turn the EXC into another porker. From experience with chain saws, I've found it more desirable to carry some extra weight up front to balance out the bike.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:18 AM   #163
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
No, I've got tools & duffle for extra clothes back there. I've intentionally avoided putting on a rear rack so as to not turn the EXC into another porker. From experience with chain saws, I've found it more desirable to carry some extra weight up front to balance out the bike.
Sounds like an LED upgrade will be the ticket then, it's going to be hard to fit a regular light and tank up front. Just recently I was looking into some of those and there's some small rect shaped ones that put out around 2K lumens in the $100~200 range, I can shoot you some links if you're interested.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:30 AM   #164
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Quote:
Sounds like an LED upgrade will be the ticket then, it's going to be hard to fit a regular light and tank up front. Just recently I was looking into some of those and there's some small rect shaped ones that put out around 2K lumens in the $100~200 range, I can shoot you some links if you're interested.
Yeahbut.... I'm a licensed Professional Engineer and love a challenge

DDM Tuning has relatively inexpensive lights. HDB sells the best stuff. It probably makes sense to invest in good lights, then I can run them on my 990 when not in use on the 450. Please pass on any other links you might have.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:00 PM   #165
GJ650Rider
Slick Rock

Oddometer: 27
WooHaa!! I'm in . . .

Hey, I've been riding bout 3 days now and I think I'd like to take part in this ride. Any chance of signing up??? Sounds like fun!!!

OK, enough of my demented sense of humor. Actually, my wife and I (AKA Ben's parents) are the food and beer haulers for this little adventure for the Saturday night hook-up at the Swell. We did this trip last spring and really enjoyed it. I've been a "stalker" for some time, simply reading all the various posts and enjoying the stories/info. I decided it was time to at least sign up and maybe jump in once in a while. We'll see how it goes . . .

Ben - re: our call . . . let me know.
GJ650Rider is offline   Reply With Quote