ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 07:03 AM   #256
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinoman View Post
I used X-grip in some rough terrain (5MOH) and worked fine for me. It is not moving while I ride. And I do not look at it while riding.

I still have to add to my gear some MSR fuel bottles or thinking get 4 gal gas tank.
I will test my range before this ride.

Once again, Is 140 miles range good enough???
140 is fine, anything over 115 is your comfort zone. Personnally I like a 1/3 reserve so I'm carrying 2 MSRs. That give you more options in the event things don't turn out as planned.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:38 AM   #257
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@RME View Post
My bike is/was heavy, the tank in the pics is a 8 gallon Safari Tank. It was big, but IMO I was pretty capable with that setup. My downfall was packing my gear... I had everything in a duffel bag high up on the tail of the bike. The tank wasn't full when I hit Bobby's Hole Hill as I had ridden from Moab thru Lockhart. My biggest problems were that I was solo, had been riding all day and was already getting worn out. I attacked the hill with the best of my ability and made it 1/4 of the way up, then the work started.

My opinion... Bobby's Hole Hill will be a the biggest challenge on this ride. The rocks are big and loose on a layer of sand. Get some momentum, stay on the throttle and pick your line carefully! With smaller, lighter bikes I'm sure you guys will fare better than I did. If not, you have others to help you out.

SOB Hill is back in the Park and it's nothing to worry about. I don't know if the Parks Service 'managed' the hill, but it's nothing... hardly worthy of the name.

I don't believe there is a bypass around Bobbys Hole Hill, if you go down Impossible Hill I understand that it dead ends.

Have fun...
Greg, I just pulled out my map, "Four-Wheeling in San Juan County Utah", and it does show a diversion around that climb at Bobby's Hole. My map shows the most difficult routes in red and the less severe in blue. Going south towards Bobby's Hole, it shows a blue route peeling off to the right of that climb that joins in later after the climb. I guess I'd never noticed the two routes, but it looks like part of Hellsickle's route that he took us on last May. The little handout map of Canyonlands doesn't show any such diversion, but then that's outside the park anyway, so it doesn't surprise me. I'm not sure I'd rate that route with Impossible Hill to be a "blue" rating, but I guess going down that "might" be easier than going up BH hill. I'm not mentioning any of this to try to suggest what route the group should take, but it might be of interest to know there are possibly some alternatives out there.
TNC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:40 AM   #258
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Greg, I just pulled out my map, "Four-Wheeling in San Juan County Utah", and it does show a diversion around that climb at Bobby's Hole. My map shows the most difficult routes in red and the less severe in blue. Going south towards Bobby's Hole, it shows a blue route peeling off to the right of that climb that joins in later after the climb. I guess I'd never noticed the two routes, but it looks like part of Hellsickle's route that he took us on last May. The little handout map of Canyonlands doesn't show any such diversion, but then that's outside the park anyway, so it doesn't surprise me. I'm not sure I'd rate that route with Impossible Hill to be a "blue" rating, but I guess going down that "might" be easier than going up BH hill. I'm not mentioning any of this to try to suggest what route the group should take, but it might be of interest to know there are possibly some alternatives out there.
TNC,

Is there anyway you can attach a picture of that map, or PM me with an email so I can see where you are referring to?

Thanks

Westfest 2013
Canyonlands Adventure Ride
COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:50 AM   #259
TNC
Candyass Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by COXR650L View Post
TNC,

Is there anyway you can attach a picture of that map, or PM me with an email so I can see where you are referring to?

Thanks
I'm sorry...I never did get a way to post my pics since the policy changed on posting. I tried the Smugmug deal, but I got lazy and didn't pursue it. Yeah, I'd like to scan this portion of my map and post it, but I can't. Maybe I could send it to you e-mail?
Old 02-07-2013, 09:05 AM   #260
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,154
By-Passes

I think I know a bypass. We can just take 191 to I-70 to Green River.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:06 AM   #261
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKASY View Post
I think I know a bypass. We can just take 191 to I-70 to Green River.

Westfest 2013
Old 02-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #262
Slojoe
Easily Amused

Oddometer: 494
Elephant Hill

Here is a link to a ride report from last May, going up Elaphant hill and across to Bobby's Hole where I did not have the proper gearing to get my bike up the hill. I had one of the girls (a much better rider) take the bike up the hill for me. Lots of pictures along the way.

http://www.xt225.com/forums/ubbthrea...7268#Post97268
Slojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #263
TNC
Candyass Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slojoe View Post
Here is a link to a ride report from last May, going up Elaphant hill and across to Bobby's Hole where I did not have the proper gearing to get my bike up the hill. I had one of the girls (a much better rider) take the bike up the hill for me. Lots of pictures along the way.

http://www.xt225.com/forums/ubbthrea...7268#Post97268
Even though pics don't always display the difficulty present on some trail features, that's a pretty good set of pics, Slojoe. It shows some pretty good detail of some of the more challenging areas of the loop. You can probably add about 1/3 to the steepness factor that doesn't translate well from stationary pics. That's a great writeup too. Sounds like Jenny was a good resource to have along on that ride.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #264
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,154
Orange---nope not koolaid

Hey Assfault it is getting worse--I may be an hour or so late in May

Old 02-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #265
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,188
yeah, but you'll be really easy to pull up the hill

Quote:
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:19 AM   #266
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinoman View Post
I used X-grip in some rough terrain (5MOH) and worked fine for me. It is not moving while I ride. And I do not look at it while riding.

I still have to add to my gear some MSR fuel bottles or thinking get 4 gal gas tank.
I will test my range before this ride.

Once again, Is 140 miles range good enough???
Tomas,

140 will be fine (some MSRs would be a nice safety net), but one thing to consider for everyone in the camping group is how much exploring and riding around you want to do once we set up camp. That will be the biggest factor when considering range and I would say unless you just want to hang out around camp at least 20 miles extra would be good to have (so 140-150). Everyone will need to have a good idea of their range and adjust their "free" riding around beef basin accordingly so they have enough to get into Hite the next day.

The more the better in my mind because there are a lot of cool ruins and some fun riding to blast around once you dump all the camping gear.

Westfest 2013
Old 02-07-2013, 12:41 PM   #267
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 2,015
Quote:

Looks like a stator upgrade???
And like Blake mentioned, easier to push pull.
Your boot soles will be worn out Fred Flintstoning that rig.

I'm still undecided on what bike to bring.
Ride in relative comfort on the 690 or rip and ride on the 450 exc
Guess there are worse decisions to have.
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #268
Greg@RME
Mis-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,158
Quote:
Greg. I wish Hellsickle would chime in on this. He has the GPS coordinates for that "Impossible Hill" route that bypasses the Bobby's Hole hill in the pic. Like you, I was not aware of any "go-around" of the BH hill. I think all but one of us walked our bikes down Impossible for the most part, but it did get us around BH hill. At least that's the way I remember it from last May.
Quote:
If you've ridden it, then I will default to you! I'm using a Benchmark Map of Utah and on the map there's not a route that shows it going thru. I understood that it dead ended, but there has to be a reason it exists. I did however just pull it up on Google Earth and it looks like there is a 2 track road than goes South, then reconnects in Ruin Park a few miles later. I have been thru the area a few times, but I'm far from an expert about Impossible Hill and beyond. I have hiked down it, checking it out... but that's the extent of my knowledge.

At least with Impossible Hill, you'd be going down rather than up like Bobbys Hole Hill. Sounds like a good option for those that don't want to ascend Bobby's Hole Hill.

I guess I need to explore what lies beyond Impossible Hill...

Greg@RME screwed with this post 02-07-2013 at 07:28 PM
Greg@RME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #269
TNC
Candyass Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@RME View Post
If you've ridden it, then you I will default to you! I'm using a Benchmark Map of Utah and on the map there's not a route that shows it going thru. I understood that it dead ended, but there has to be a reason it exists. I did however just pull it up on Google Earth and it looks like there is a 2 track road than goes South, then reconnects in Ruin Park a few miles later. I have been thru the area a few times, but I'm far from an expert about Impossible Hill and beyond. I have hiked down it, checking it out... but that's the extent of my knowledge.

At least with Impossible Hill, you'd be going down rather than up like Bobbys Hole Hill. Sounds like a good option for those that don't want to ascend Bobby's Hole Hill.

I guess I need to explore what lies beyond Impossible Hill...
Hey Greg, I often use Google Maps to do what you did, but I've never done it for this section. I just did, and I was impressed at how well you can see that route that I believe Hellsickle led us on. I can see that split to the right of the climb at Bobby's Hole that's at the end of a long, flat straightaway in a small valley. That spot to the west of Bobby's Hole looks like Impossible Hill. You can tell how the road just disappears for a bit as it goes down a rough section of rock, then picks back up at the bottom. It then makes a huge meandering counterclockwise route that ends up near the Ruin Park area of Beef Basin. Then you can head out to the Dugout Ranch exit to hwy 211 or go south to the forest and Elk Ridge road.

Edit: I just noticed on Google what also appears to be the overlook trail to the Colorado river that Hellsickle was going to take us to when we ran out of time for the day. There's a faint spur that goes west off the loop we've been talking about.

TNC screwed with this post 02-07-2013 at 06:49 PM Reason: add info
Old 02-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #270
trailwerks
Missing Two Wheels

Oddometer: 206
Disclaimer: I have not ridden either of these routes on a bike but i have traversed them in a Jeep.

Impossible Hill is at 38 2'14.10"N, 10957'0.51"W. Impossible Hill is typically a whole lot rougher (steep, rocky, and loose) than the climb out of Bobby's Hole but, as noted, you will be going down rather than up if you are riding north to south. Impossible Hill drops down toward Imperial Valley and you link back up with the route toward Ruin Park via Bull Valley. It is not a short bypass, I make it to be 12-13 miles before you rejoin the main road, I remember the route as being long, slow, and rough in the Jeep (it should be much faster on a MC). Other than the hill out of Bobby's Hole, the route through Ruin Park, etc is a pretty good (fast) road. The route out of Imperial Valley is not. But gravity is definitely working in your favor on Impossible Hill.

Wish I was going with you, the route is one of the most beautiful and interesting in southeastern Utah and that is saying a bit.
trailwerks is offline   Reply With Quote