ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 09:11 PM   #271
BuilderScott
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 958
Impossible Hill per Trailwerks coords:

Here it is in relation to Bobby's and the route:

BuilderScott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #272
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailwerks View Post
Disclaimer: I have not ridden either of these routes on a bike but i have traversed them in a Jeep.

Impossible Hill is at 38 2'14.10"N, 10957'0.51"W. Impossible Hill is typically a whole lot rougher (steep, rocky, and loose) than the climb out of Bobby's Hole but, as noted, you will be going down rather than up if you are riding north to south. Impossible Hill drops down toward Imperial Valley and you link back up with the route toward Ruin Park via Bull Valley. It is not a short bypass, I make it to be 12-13 miles before you rejoin the main road, I remember the route as being long, slow, and rough in the Jeep (it should be much faster on a MC). Other than the hill out of Bobby's Hole, the route through Ruin Park, etc is a pretty good (fast) road. The route out of Imperial Valley is not. But gravity is definitely working in your favor on Impossible Hill.

Wish I was going with you, the route is one of the most beautiful and interesting in southeastern Utah and that is saying a bit.
Yep, it was a long day even without going out to the overlook for the Colorado that's to the west of this trail. We made the loop back out to Dugout Ranch and to our camping spot on Lockhart Basin road. This is one of the only rides that I've ever run out of water on, but luckily I found some folks in a car at Ruin Park to bum some drinking water from. On a motorcycle the section from Impossible Hill to the reconnect with Beef Basin road, it was pretty fast...nothing too tough at all. Still, if time and/or mileage is of any concern, going up Bobby's Hole hill will certainly shorten the ride. After seeing Slojoe's pics of Jenny riding Yamaha XT's up BH hill without too much trouble, surely a bunch of manly men will have no trouble.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:21 PM   #273
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 9,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@RME View Post
My bike is/was heavy, the tank in the pics is a 8 gallon Safari Tank. It was big, but IMO I was pretty capable with that setup. My downfall was packing my gear... I had everything in a duffel bag high up on the tail of the bike. The tank wasn't full when I hit Bobby's Hole Hill as I had ridden from Moab thru Lockhart. My biggest problems were that I was solo, had been riding all day and was already getting worn out. I attacked the hill with the best of my ability and made it 1/4 of the way up, then the work started.

My opinion... Bobby's Hole Hill will be a the biggest challenge on this ride. The rocks are big and loose on a layer of sand. Get some momentum, stay on the throttle and pick your line carefully! With smaller, lighter bikes I'm sure you guys will fare better than I did. If not, you have others to help you out.

SOB Hill is back in the Park and it's nothing to worry about. I don't know if the Parks Service 'managed' the hill, but it's nothing... hardly worthy of the name.

I don't believe there is a bypass around Bobbys Hole Hill, if you go down Impossible Hill I understand that it dead ends.

Have fun...
Check earlier in the thread for pictures. After Impossible hill, there is a loop that will take you back into Ruin Park, bypassing the hill out of Bobby's Hole (as per TNC's earlier comment).

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:57 PM   #274
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,818
I'll handle it like most of the Ut trails we ride. Look it over then send EV up to test the waters
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:01 AM   #275
_Magoo_
master of disaster....

Oddometer: 5,322
yep, in Ev we trust........

_Magoo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:51 AM   #276
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,166
Whoaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
I'll handle it like most of the Ut trails we ride. Look it over then send EV up to test the waters
He can get lost on a trail with no turns---so what do we do when he doesn't come back
Old 02-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #277
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKASY View Post
He can get lost on a trail with no turns---so what do we do when he doesn't come back
You have a point.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:36 AM   #278
TNC
Candyass Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
You have a point.
Chris, from my understanding in your group's past excellent ride reports and vids, all you have to do is crack open a beer and Ev will reappear momentarily.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:45 AM   #279
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Chris, from my understanding in your group's past excellent ride reports and vids, all you have to do is crack open a beer and Ev will reappear momentarily.
Yup, that's how we call 'em in.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #280
Greg@RME
Mis-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
Check earlier in the thread for pictures. After Impossible hill, there is a loop that will take you back into Ruin Park, bypassing the hill out of Bobby's Hole (as per TNC's earlier comment).
Yeah, we discussed that option last night after seeing the route on Google Earth and TNC mentioning that you guys had ridden it. I was looking at my maps (Benchmark Maps) that show Impossible Hill dead-ending shortly after dropping down into the valley. Like I said, I haven't investigated what lies beyond Impossible Hill and I don't claim to be an authority on the area... just sharing my experiences.
Greg@RME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #281
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 2,112
After watching all the videos and pictures, I really doubt there will be much of an issue. This is knowing the riders abilities with whom I will be riding with. All the NM guys are solid riders. I don't think there will be any serious issues. It looks really fun, I can't wait to go ride this thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #282
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,166
Riders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assfault View Post
After watching all the videos and pictures, I really doubt there will be much of an issue. This is knowing the riders abilities with whom I will be riding with. All the NM guys are solid riders. I don't think there will be any serious issues. It looks really fun, I can't wait to go ride this thing.

Our group will be fine---we are staying at a Holiday Inn Express in Blanding---right RF
Old 02-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #283
TNC
Candyass Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assfault View Post

I don't know, I wouldn't be so confident. I didn't see any wheelchair ramps for Ev to make it up to the top.

But seriously, after seeing Slojoe's pics earlier in this post of that Jenny girl making it up by riding a couple of XT's up BH, it does sound quite doable. However, I can attest that once you either ride or walk your bike down Impossible Hill, there's nothing I can recall at all that would be super challenging. We had two ladies and two definitely old guys...me as one of the old guys...in our group who did the extended route without any drama, so at least you know you have an option if needed to go the Impossible Hill downhill route.

It sounds like you guys will have a blast on this ride. It's one of the most beautiful routes in Utah...or anywhere for that matter...and it has enough terrain features to keep things interesting without trying to kill you every 1/4 mile.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:31 PM   #284
GrizGirl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
I don't know, I wouldn't be so confident. I didn't see any wheelchair ramps for Ev to make it up to the top.

But seriously, after seeing Slojoe's pics earlier in this post of that Jenny girl making it up by riding a couple of XT's up BH, it does sound quite doable. However, I can attest that once you either ride or walk your bike down Impossible Hill, there's nothing I can recall at all that would be super challenging. We had two ladies and two definitely old guys...me as one of the old guys...in our group who did the extended route without any drama, so at least you know you have an option if needed to go the Impossible Hill downhill route.

It sounds like you guys will have a blast on this ride. It's one of the most beautiful routes in Utah...or anywhere for that matter...and it has enough terrain features to keep things interesting without trying to kill you every 1/4 mile.
And as one of the ladies - last year was my first full year on a dirt bike! I did it, albeit not always gracefully... But if I did it ANYBODY can do it.
GrizGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:31 PM   #285
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKASY View Post
Our group will be fine---we are staying at a Holiday Inn Express in Blanding---right RF
I haven't done anything about the first nights lodging, there's aways the possibility we'll have to bypass the Abajos in which case it might make more sense to stay on Monticello. I figured to call the FS about 1~2 weeks in advance and see what the conditions were like. We can decide which loc depending on what they say. I've stayed in Blanding a couple times and that seems to have a little more to offer than Monticello.

I don't think there's going to be a big issue with this area, sure it might be difficult for some, that's what makes it an "Adventure". If this ride was all easy dirt roads then we'd be bitching about all the traffic. It's because of these obsticles that we'll have the area mostly to ourselves. Consider them "filters" or even better, "Entry Fees", ya gotta pay to play. There's always a price to pay to ride the bettr areas. Just pack appropriately, you may need to pick your bike up a time or two.

RideFreak screwed with this post 02-08-2013 at 05:44 PM