ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2013, 08:02 PM   #376
_Magoo_
master of disaster....

Oddometer: 5,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicXRer View Post
So that means there is only one night of camping with the first night in Moab at at motel? And that we would not have to self-haul our camping equipment for the third day of riding after the camping night?

sounds like the plan to me!

_Magoo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:05 PM   #377
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,466
For the NM crew I dont see it as a problem for my wife to get your tent and sleeping bag back to Moab on Sunday from the Swell. She will be picking me up there anyway....
COXR650L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #378
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by burque magoo View Post
sounds like the plan to me!
How was Baja?
RideFreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:54 AM   #379
_Magoo_
master of disaster....

incredible! 1200 miles in 7 days, 95% dirt (and rock, and sand, and cactus, and beaches)

Old 03-05-2013, 08:39 AM   #380
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by COXR650L View Post
For the NM crew I dont see it as a problem for my wife to get your tent and sleeping bag back to Moab on Sunday from the Swell. She will be picking me up there anyway....
Thanks Ben, that really helps.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #381
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 9,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by burque magoo View Post
incredible! 1200 miles in 7 days, 95% dirt (and rock, and sand, and cactus, and beaches)
Hmmmm..... My 450 would have needed at least one valve adjust during that trip. I really need to get those valves updated.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:28 PM   #382
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 2,120
Are we there yet?

Sent from my brain through fat fingers
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:31 PM   #383
AtomicGeo
Chile Eater

Oddometer: 4,050
getting ready...bought a new tent.

gonna get some Forma Adventure Boots:

Old 03-09-2013, 07:38 PM   #384
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Getting close!!!

I have been tempted by those Forma boots, they seem like a pretty good DS option. Let me know what you think of them.

I converted the GPS tracks of the ride into a Map overlay so its a little easier instead of dealing with such a long track. I will get it emailed out to everyone in the next week or so.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:30 AM   #385
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 2,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by COXR650L View Post
Getting close!!!

I have been tempted by those Forma boots, they seem like a pretty good DS option. Let me know what you think of them.

I converted the GPS tracks of the ride into a Map overlay so its a little easier instead of dealing with such a long track. I will get it emailed out to everyone in the next week or so.
Sweet! Thanks for your hard work!
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:25 PM   #386
james t kirk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
1) wear knee pads.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=282

2) don't forget what happened to this guy in this area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...xl8jQhc#t=278s

kirk out
james t kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #387
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by james t kirk View Post
1) wear knee pads.

kirk out
Wow.....that was an impressive video. Guy is lucky

Hows the knee feeling? Sorry we never got to meet up.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #388
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by james t kirk View Post
1) wear knee pads.

kirk out
Never saw that crash vid before, def a knarly impact. ALWAYS be carefull, esp out in CL, rangers tell you to be prepared to self rescue.

Lets talk about that crash. I know anything can happen esp where we ride but watching that vid, I get the impression the rider sort of froze up on the bars, no evasive manuvering at all, a hard clampdown on the front brake at least.

Here's his response to someone who asked about the same thing;

Quote:
"If you would review the video again and consider the time interval that elapsed, between loss of control and the plunge there wasn't much time for a decision to be made that would have resulted in a more positive outcome. The brain has to make an appropriate response before the muscles carry forth the action. In this case perhaps the saving grace may have been the inability to slow down, which may have resulted in a different outcome altogether. Fate RULES once in a while."

I don't agree with him, a clampdown on the fr brake and he might have still gone off but at least there'd be attempt to do something. Yeah, I'm armchair quarterbacking here but watching the vid, he drove strait off and he wasn't going all that fast. IMO, it wasn't instant and if he thinks it was than he's going too fast. I think he had time to at least try to do something.

I see very little scenery when I ride, just a glance once in awhile because I'm scanning for the line I'll be taking. The vid is a great example of what can happen out there. For our kind of riding you need to be on your game all the time, if the terrain is something you're not used to, slow down.

RideFreak screwed with this post 03-10-2013 at 03:36 PM
Old 03-10-2013, 03:15 PM   #389
_Magoo_
master of disaster....

+1----a handful of front brake, lay the bike down, and soil yurself...

Old 03-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #390
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Never saw that crash vid before, def a knarly impact. ALWAYS be carefull, esp out in CL, rangers tell you to be prepared to self rescue.

Lets talk about that crash. I know anything can happen esp where we ride but watching that vid, I get the impression the rider sort of froze up on the bars, no evasive manuvering at all, a hard clampdown on the front brake at least.

Here's his response to someone who asked about the same thing;

I don't agree with him, a clampdown on the fr brake and he might have still gone off but at least there'd be attempt to do something. Yeah, I'm armchair quarterbacking here but watching the vid, he drove strait off and he wasn't going all that fast. IMO, it wasn't instant and if he thinks it was than he's going too fast. I think he had time to at least try to do something.

I see very little scenery when I ride, just a glance once in awhile because I'm scanning for the line I'll be taking. The vid is a great example of what can happen out there. For our king of riding you need to be on your game all the time, if the terrain is something you're not used to, slow down.
Chris, I think I can almost hear the engine accelerate at that critical point when he starts veering left. Like maybe a panic grip on the throttle. I don't know...I know lots of folks enjoy their DR650's, and heck, I even rode a highly modded KLR for many years on the same kinds of trails. But when something starts going wrong with one of those bigger sleds, it's hard to regain control sometime. He was fortunate to walk away from that deal. This past weekend out at our riding area on our club's ranch, we were preparing for our upcoming national enduro event...same place where Steve and Brian have raced our state circuit event. One of our long time members who I've seen grow up from a kid was horsing around and crashed no harder than that guy did. It looks like he may be paralyzed about mid-chest down. Man, you land a little off, and it can be a whole other can of worms.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote