ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #391
james t kirk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by COXR650L View Post
Hows the knee feeling? Sorry we never got to meet up.
hey! the knee's doing great. thanks, i was super lucky and super stupid. reality check. you ride here all the time and sometimes you get complacent. think i'll be riding next weekend!

if you don't know of this one already, i should post the thread over in faceplant where i found this vid. talk about lucky! glad Joe survived this one with just some bruises.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=867625

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
...One of our long time members who I've seen grow up from a kid was horsing around and crashed no harder than that guy did. It looks like he may be paralyzed about mid-chest down. Man, you land a little off, and it can be a whole other can of worms.
i'm sorry to hear about your friend, i hope it doesn't end up being that bad.

kirk out

james t kirk screwed with this post 03-10-2013 at 03:29 PM
james t kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #392
AtomicXRer
Chile Eater

Oddometer: 4,032
Wow...glad he made it alive.

Started from choosing the wrong line that led into the rut of rocks, tried to correct to the right, then bounced off another rock to the left. Farther to the left from the onset would've been better...but I may have made the same mistake too.

The other things was that DR was way loaded up up with bags and luggage. I am wondering if small and light is the way to go on this trip?
Old 03-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #393
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,745
Quote:
Chris, I think I can almost hear the engine accelerate at that critical point when he starts veering left. Like maybe a panic grip on the throttle. I don't know...I know lots of folks enjoy their DR650's, and heck, I even rode a highly modded KLR for many years on the same kinds of trails. But when something starts going wrong with one of those bigger sleds, it's hard to regain control sometime. He was fortunate to walk away from that deal. This past weekend out at our riding area on our club's ranch, we were preparing for our upcoming national enduro event...same place where Steve and Brian have raced our state circuit event. One of our long time members who I've seen grow up from a kid was horsing around and crashed no harder than that guy did. It looks like he may be paralyzed about mid-chest down. Man, you land a little off, and it can be a whole other can of worms.
Sorry to hear about the club member, that kind of thing really reminds you what can happen.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:19 PM   #394
_Magoo_
master of disaster....

Oddometer: 5,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicXRer View Post

Started from choosing the wrong line that led into the rut of rocks, tried to correct to the right, then bounced off another rock to the left. Farther to the left from the onset would've been better...but I may have made the same mistake too.

The other things was that DR was way loaded up up with bags and luggage. I am wondering if small and light is the way to go on this trip?
that's what I'm thinking.....

_Magoo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:03 PM   #395
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:

Geo, I think the XRR will be a great bike for this ride, I rode mine through Lockhart and we both rode ours through much of the western leg of this ride, no issues. I've ridden the trail where he crashed a few times and it's not an overly difficult area, no harder than much of what we ride around here.

There's about 3 or 4 ways to do the last leg of this, Ben showed us one last weekend, the southern end of the Enduro Loop out of Whitewash, there's a few areas on that trail that could be a challenge but it can be easily bypassed.

RideFreak screwed with this post 03-10-2013 at 08:06 PM
Old 03-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #396
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
I don't agree with him, a clampdown on the fr brake and he might have still gone off but at least there'd be attempt to do something. Yeah, I'm armchair quarterbacking here but watching the vid, he drove strait off and he wasn't going all that fast. IMO, it wasn't instant and if he thinks it was than he's going too fast. I think he had time to at least try to do something.

I see very little scenery when I ride, just a glance once in awhile because I'm scanning for the line I'll be taking. The vid is a great example of what can happen out there. For our kind of riding you need to be on your game all the time, if the terrain is something you're not used to, slow down.
There was more than enough time to punch out of that one, possibly even walk off the bike. His line choices were pretty bad, he cross rutted himself off a cliff when a foot either way he would have been fine, or keep the front in line with the back going into the rut so it doesn't swap him the way it did.

It looks like the bike was fairly overloaded too.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:05 PM   #397
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
There was more than enough time to punch out of that one.
VxZeroKnots can attest to the fact that I speak from expierence when it comes to last sec punchouts

Old 03-10-2013, 08:08 PM   #398
AtomicXRer
Chile Eater

Glad to hear that you think I can do it on the XRR. I was starting to question, but you've ridden the area alot more than I have. I was already beginning to look for an auxiliary tank for my 2T.

Quote:
Geo, I think the XRR will be a great bike for this ride, I rode mine through Lockhart and we both rode ours through much of the western leg of this ride, no issues. I've ridden the trail where he crashed a few times and it's not an overly difficult area, no harder than much of what we ride around here.

There's about 3 or 4 ways to do the last leg of this, Ben showed us one last weekend, the southern end of the Enduro Loop out of Whitewash, there's a few areas on that trail that could be a challenge but it can be easily bypassed.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #399
AtomicXRer
Chile Eater

Was that on your your "new to you" 4T KTM

Better go back to the XRR.

Quote:
VxZeroKnots can attest to the fact that I speak from expierence when it comes to last sec punchouts

Old 03-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #400
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Was that on your your "new to you" 4T KTM

Better go back to the XRR.
No that's the 300, the 525 is for DS riding. I don't think you'd like this ride on the 2T, long dirt roads and there might be a small stretch of interstate involved.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:46 PM   #401
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,887
Quote:
Never saw that crash vid before, def a knarly impact. ALWAYS be carefull, esp out in CL, rangers tell you to be prepared to self rescue.

Lets talk about that crash. I know anything can happen esp where we ride but watching that vid, I get the impression the rider sort of froze up on the bars, no evasive manuvering at all, a hard clampdown on the front brake at least.

Here's his response to someone who asked about the same thing;

I don't agree with him, a clampdown on the fr brake and he might have still gone off but at least there'd be attempt to do something. Yeah, I'm armchair quarterbacking here but watching the vid, he drove strait off and he wasn't going all that fast. IMO, it wasn't instant and if he thinks it was than he's going too fast. I think he had time to at least try to do something.

I see very little scenery when I ride, just a glance once in awhile because I'm scanning for the line I'll be taking. The vid is a great example of what can happen out there. For our kind of riding you need to be on your game all the time, if the terrain is something you're not used to, slow down.
That was an insane crash video! Really makes you think about the what if's of riding in very remote areas.

Freak, I pretty much agree with you on this. It's very hard to determine what you or I would have done in the same situation, but you would like to think that you would have at least attempted an evasive maneuver or grab a handfull of front brake and not just rode off the cliff.

Wow, glad to hear th rider is OK after that fall.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:17 PM   #402
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,452
I just sent out an email talking about food and most importantly beer It also has an updated track file and map of the ride. If anyone did not get an email let me know.

One thing I forgot to say in the email is in the map the main route is in red. All the escapes and alternate routes are different colors. Hopefully this will make it pretty easy to follow while on a bike.

COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:48 AM   #403
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by COXR650L View Post
I just sent out an email talking about food and most importantly beer It also has an updated track file and map of the ride. If anyone did not get an email let me know.

One thing I forgot to say in the email is in the map the main route is in red. All the escapes and alternate routes are different colors. Hopefully this will make it pretty easy to follow while on a bike.

Beer? Isn't that kind of like a KLR650?...a lot of weight?...slow to respond? For backpacking and bike camping, hard liquor is the way to go. Light and fast...like a KTM300.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:54 AM   #404
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,452
Quote:
Beer? Isn't that kind of like a KLR650?...a lot of weight?...slow to respond? For backpacking and bike camping, hard liquor is the way to go. Light and fast...like a KTM300.
I want to make it back to Moab on the final day
COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #405
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,996
Quote:
This is Utah. I am going to stick to milk and cookies. Well, cookies anyway.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote