ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 08:19 PM   #436
AtomicXRer
Chile Eater

Oddometer: 3,908
cl

go big red
Old 03-13-2013, 08:25 PM   #437
dmac1
Desert SW Luvr

Oddometer: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinoman View Post
Nice job! You guys too the ranp...errr...boards. We went straight down the tight series of drops. Too abrupt for us to ride them.

Nice vid, but too bad it doesn't show the view from the top. It is killer! I will say this about Big Drop, it was the most memorable part of the ride...but I still think a bypass would be good.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:40 AM   #438
rinoman
Let's ride

Oddometer: 116
Big Drop
Old 03-14-2013, 06:41 AM   #439
rinoman
Let's ride

Oddometer: 116

Old 03-14-2013, 07:28 AM   #440
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,461
Uh, yeah...as somebody already stated, that Big Drop would be more than I'd want to bite off going the other way. I don't even like the way it looks in the pic there going down it.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:44 AM   #441
dmac1
Desert SW Luvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinoman View Post

sweeeeet!!!!
Old 03-14-2013, 08:58 AM   #442
dmac1
Desert SW Luvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Uh, yeah...as somebody already stated, that Big Drop would be more than I'd want to bite off going the other way. I don't even like the way it looks in the pic there going down it.
We had lunch on top, took in the view and contemplated our future. First step has a nice run out after it...thought that was it cuz can't see the rest from up there. That said, the tracks from someone before us went straight off the ledge. I was like....nope! Walked it around the left edge. The top was easy compared to the lower rocky steps for which there is no run out...just steep slope to the next step. Or the ramps.

Looking forward to Ben's vid of an ascent (if he has a GoPro that is). Wanna see how its done.

Good luck for sure!
Old 03-15-2013, 08:34 AM   #443
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,598
I started PT on the hand this week. Only range of motion for now. At the end of March and will start on strengthening exercises.

I am developing a plan B here. If I don't join the all dirt contingent, I might just hop on the 990 and crash the party in Ruin Park. Access from the newspaper rock side is pretty easy, assuming that things are dry. I would haul in camping gear and water and join in the festivities.

It is very likely that I would trailer to the western slope and ride from there. Anyone else interested in a big bike loop with camping gear?

HellSickle screwed with this post 03-15-2013 at 08:57 AM
HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:30 PM   #444
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
I started PT on the hand this week. Only range of motion for now. At the end of March and will start on strengthening exercises.

I am developing a plan B here. If I don't join the all dirt contingent, I might just hop on the 990 and crash the party in Ruin Park. Access from the newspaper rock side is pretty easy, assuming that things are dry. I would haul in camping gear and water and join in the festivities.

It is very likely that I would trailer to the western slope and ride from there. Anyone else interested in a big bike loop with camping gear?
Sounds good, hopefully PT goes well though.

Westfest 2013
Canyonlands Adventure Ride
COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:35 PM   #445
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
That could very possibly be the way I have to do this ride.

I don't have a small bike anymore

Not sure where the TR650 Terra fits in it's capabilities yet - but work might shorten the trip for me and turn it into a big bike loop with camping gear anyway.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:32 AM   #446
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post

Not sure where the TR650 Terra fits in it's capabilities yet - but work might shorten the trip for me and turn it into a big bike loop with camping gear anyway.
It fits right next to my G650XCountry that's where! I'll be doing the standard 2-night camping loop Moab -> Moab with camping gear. We can swap parts as needed :)

I'm just ignoring all these Big Drop photos

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:38 AM   #447
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Just an option.....If Jeffs hand is in OK condition you guys could do lockhart with the group and then bypass the difficult portion of Canyonlands and come down Beef Basin Rd off HWY 211 and meet up at the campsite. Then do the ride on the 2nd day into the swell, and hit pavement back to Moab on Sunday and be back in Denver by late afternoon

Blake you sure you wont have another small bike by then

Snooker you'll do fine going up big drop on your XCountry

Although that would be very impressive on an XCounty I dont see anyone going that direction.

Westfest 2013
Old 03-16-2013, 02:26 PM   #448
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by COXR650L View Post
Just an option.....If Jeffs hand is in OK condition you guys could do lockhart with the group and then bypass the difficult portion of Canyonlands and come down Beef Basin Rd off HWY 211 and meet up at the campsite. Then do the ride on the 2nd day into the swell, and hit pavement back to Moab on Sunday and be back in Denver by late afternoon

Even with my hand 100%, I doubt that I would want to do the Lockhart basin section on my 990. I have other bikes that would make that sections so much more enjoyable, I would be wishing that I was on one of them. If it turns out it is dry, I would be up for riding the section from beef basin over to natural bridges. I might even be talked into the section from hite to the swell, but I've only ridden about half of that (from the muddy river up the switchbacks to Hahns flats).

Keep me posted Blake.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:50 PM   #449
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,365
Quote:

Blake, ya went from borderline too small to borderline too big, you were supposed to stop in between

Nice bike!

I'm pretty much finished with 525, it got the signature RF inspection along with a few deliveries from to brown truck, we're headed out tomorrow so I can get some seat time on it.

I've discovered I'm a bit short legged for this bike with wider the seat so have your cameras ready when we hit the tough stuff.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #450
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Blake, ya went from borderline too small to borderline too big, you were supposed to stop in between

Nice bike!

I'm pretty much finished with 525, it got the signature RF inspection along with a few deliveries from to brown truck, we're headed out tomorrow so I can get some seat time on it.

I've discovered I'm a bit short legged for this bike with wider the seat so have your cameras ready when we hit the tough stuff.
Ya sounds down right dangerous to ride a tall bike. How about you sell it to me

Westfest 2013