ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2013, 08:35 PM   #451
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by COXR650L View Post
Ya sounds down right dangerous to ride a tall bike. How about you sell it to me

I need to tip over a few times first
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:23 PM   #452
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
That could very possibly be the way I have to do this ride.

I don't have a small bike anymore

Not sure where the TR650 Terra fits in it's capabilities yet - but work might shorten the trip for me and turn it into a big bike loop with camping gear anyway.
Blake, you jerk...I was looking forward to taking a test ride on the Husky.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:02 AM   #453
AtomicGeo
Chile Eater

Oddometer: 4,049
What's the fully wet weight of your 525?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Blake, ya went from borderline too small to borderline too big, you were supposed to stop in between

Nice bike!

I'm pretty much finished with 525, it got the signature RF inspection along with a few deliveries from to brown truck, we're headed out tomorrow so I can get some seat time on it.

I've discovered I'm a bit short legged for this bike with wider the seat so have your cameras ready when we hit the tough stuff.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:05 PM   #454
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicXRer View Post
What's the fully wet weight of your 525?
I'm figuring around 270#

The is how I cam up with that figure, I think it's pretty close.
+250# Dry, + 20# (3 Gal fuel), +1.5# (skidplate), +1# (dampner), -4# (LI Battery), - 3# (TI silencer)

I really notice the extra 25lbs compared to the 300, it needs some suspension tuning. The motor runs good and it's easy to ride, it should make a good DS bike.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:57 PM   #455
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,166

Quote:
I'm figuring around 270#

+250# Dry, + 20# (3 Gal fuel), +1.5# (skidplate), +1# (dampner), -4# (LI Battery), - 3# (TI silencer)

I really notice the extra 25lbs compared to the 300, it needs some suspension tuning. The motor runs good and it's easy to ride, it should make a good DS bike.
That is about right I think the last time I put mine on a scale is was around 262--tank may not have been completely full and doing one wheel and then the other may not be the most accurate method. Good ride today enjoyed it
Old 03-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #456
justlookin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Hello

I would like to introduce myself. I am from Ohio and super excited to be joining this group. Been riding southern Ohio single track for alot of years and looking forward to seeing more of this great country, especially as single track is drying up here. Bought a new 500 XC - W about a month ago and have been busy getting it ready - street legal,big tank and protection - almost ready except tire choice.

I need to finalize some things for me and the bike - I typically run 952 Dunlops here but this is mud,roots and some rock. Don't really know what to run in Utah. I saw earlier in this thread high praise for Maxxis Desert IT's . If I run these I will have to order- How are they compared to a 606.

Also I guess I will need to buy a tent - I usually hammock camp around here but I imagine trees may be a little scarce in the Canyonlands. How about just a tarp in case of rain and a ground sheet and sleeping bag - really love to see those western stars. I guess what I am really asking is what temp ranges do you expect to encounter this time of year and is a tent really necessary? Thanks for any advise and looking forward to meeting everyone.
justlookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:36 PM   #457
AtomicGeo
Chile Eater

Oddometer: 4,049
Cool2

Quote:
I'm figuring around 270#

+250# Dry, + 20# (3 Gal fuel), +1.5# (skidplate), +1# (dampner), -4# (LI uBattery), - 3# (TI silencer)

wow. That is one powerful bike with not alot of weight.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:30 PM   #458
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 9,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by justlookin View Post
I would like to introduce myself. I am from Ohio and super excited to be joining this group. Been riding southern Ohio single track for alot of years and looking forward to seeing more of this great country, especially as single track is drying up here. Bought a new 500 XC - W about a month ago and have been busy getting it ready - street legal,big tank and protection - almost ready except tire choice.

I need to finalize some things for me and the bike - I typically run 952 Dunlops here but this is mud,roots and some rock. Don't really know what to run in Utah. I saw earlier in this thread high praise for Maxxis Desert IT's . If I run these I will have to order- How are they compared to a 606.

Also I guess I will need to buy a tent - I usually hammock camp around here but I imagine trees may be a little scarce in the Canyonlands. How about just a tarp in case of rain and a ground sheet and sleeping bag - really love to see those western stars. I guess what I am really asking is what temp ranges do you expect to encounter this time of year and is a tent really necessary? Thanks for any advise and looking forward to meeting everyone.
This is the high desert. It can get pretty darn cold at night. A tent adds a few degrees but really isn't necessary if you have a good sleeping bag. You'll wish you had a tent if it rains, but you'll just have to watch the forecast a few days in advance to predict that.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:37 PM   #459
Tha Rick
Shake and bake!

Oddometer: 5,258
Quote:

Can I make a suggestion on gearing as well? Probably a tooth less on the countersprocket.

And Gear...bring a BIG camelback and use it, ie drink often..the day's get pretty warm, and the night's pretty cold, so layers work well.

Oh, and hope you have a GREAT time! There's good folks to ride with and stories that will make an Irishman blush.

It's not about tha bike nor tha ride; it's about tha adventure in life we all seek. Great memories are made of taking tha trail less traveled and explored.
Tha Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:57 PM   #460
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Blake, you jerk...I was looking forward to taking a test ride on the Husky.

nice and light and easy to throw around...

I had two complaints, both were probably fixable to make it a perfect woods/trail bike, but nothing would have made it a good 'only bike' for me.

Super touchy throttle response. On downhills on trailing throttle it was like you hit the kill switch - wouldn't hold an idle like a carb'd bike. Then just the slightest touch of the throttle and you were on your way.
Very tough to modulate in slow technical downhills - and the rear brake was too easy to lock up....made for interesting descents.
Probably could be tuned out with a JD Tuner or iBeat.

Gearing. Super close ratio, and 13/40 made first way too tall for any steep technical climbs - though the clutch was up to being slipped as much as was required without getting grabby. You were in top gear plenty fast on fast terrain.
The tiny motor didn't have the oomph to pull (stock) top gear on a paved uphill grade (we're talking SLIGHT grade too) and maintain speed. I didn't buy it to be a road bike, so not a big deal there.

I changed to 13/45 thinking going up 5 teeth would be enough. It was much better, but long steep climbs still had me fanning the clutch, so 47-50 teeth would be the ticket to keep it as a serious woods bike. Even at 45 teeth, it was a busy little motor at 55-60 mph.

Great trail/woods bike that another gearing change would have helped.
Lots of fun in the desert and overall a fun as hell bike to ride if you just want it street legal to connect trails or ride from the motel to the trailhead 10 miles away.

It had plenty of power, and it brought you into the game - you had to ride it aggressively to get the most out of it ...not unlike riding a two stroke.
Took a bit of getting used to after all the big thumpers, but I liked that it got me more involved. Made it fun.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present

Blakebird screwed with this post 03-17-2013 at 10:07 PM
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:21 PM   #461
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:

If the bike is that new, the stock tires should be fine. If you have to switch the 606 will be a good choice and it'd keep it legal too.

If you don't need new tires, I wouldn't put a set on for this ride, utah will chew 'em up pretty good.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:51 PM   #462
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 9,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Rick View Post
Can I make a suggestion on gearing as well? Probably a tooth less on the countersprocket.

And Gear...bring a BIG camelback and use it, ie drink often..the day's get pretty warm, and the night's pretty cold, so layers work well.

Oh, and hope you have a GREAT time! There's good folks to ride with and stories that will make an Irishman blush.
drop a tooth? When I go from the Colorado mountains to the desert I usually had a tooth.

close to a gallon of water a day is a good idea if it gets warm.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:38 PM   #463
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
drop a tooth? When I go from the Colorado mountains to the desert I usually ad a tooth.
I was thinking the same thing, none of this ride requires low gearing, if anything you'll want it a little tall for mileage purposes. Now if ya take well known detour in the swell ya might need that other sprocket.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:23 AM   #464
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,617
Quote:
I was thinking the same thing, none of this ride requires low gearing, if anything you'll want it a little tall for mileage purposes. Now if ya take well known detour in the swell ya might need that other sprocket.
I don't know...guys like you and Jeff seldom get out of 6th gear...right?

But really, I tend to agree with Rick. While I can envision some routes in SE Utah that require no aggressive gearing, it seems that there is often just a few semi-technical spots on what may be an overall easy ride that require "some of us" to need that super low first gear. As I've gotten older and slower and ride a modded DS bike, I find that occasional rutted, rocky climb or other somewhat decent semi-challenge even on a 2-track that makes the low first gear a real benefit. Having to hit some stuff like that with more speed and momentum because of higher gearing gets a little sketchy sometimes as age and skill go their separate ways. Just saying that the bike, the rider, bike size/weight, and skill may affect gearing choice a bit. For me, lower gearing is like a gun...it may be something you hardly ever use, but when you need it, nothing else fills the bill.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:50 AM   #465
GrizGirl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
I don't know...guys like you and Jeff seldom get out of 6th gear...right?

But really, I tend to agree with Rick. While I can envision some routes in SE Utah that require no aggressive gearing, it seems that there is often just a few semi-technical spots on what may be an overall easy ride that require "some of us" to need that super low first gear. As I've gotten older and slower and ride a modded DS bike, I find that occasional rutted, rocky climb or other somewhat decent semi-challenge even on a 2-track that makes the low first gear a real benefit. Having to hit some stuff like that with more speed and momentum because of higher gearing gets a little sketchy sometimes as age and skill go their separate ways. Just saying that the bike, the rider, bike size/weight, and skill may affect gearing choice a bit. For me, lower gearing is like a gun...it may be something you hardly ever use, but when you need it, nothing else fills the bill.
THIS. Plus, the poster Rick was directing the comment about gearing to is coming from Ohio, not Colorado. He has a new 500 that probably still has stock gearing. He is unfamiliar with the loose rock riding of the west. Going a tooth lower in his case is a good thing and will give him more control in the technical stuff. Not falling down or fighting your bike makes you a faster rider and conserves energy. All good things.
GrizGirl is offline   Reply With Quote