ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 08:00 AM   #466
mylsmkj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
I don't know...guys like you and Jeff seldom get out of 6th gear...right?

But really, I tend to agree with Rick. While I can envision some routes in SE Utah that require no aggressive gearing, it seems that there is often just a few semi-technical spots on what may be an overall easy ride that require "some of us" to need that super low first gear. As I've gotten older and slower and ride a modded DS bike, I find that occasional rutted, rocky climb or other somewhat decent semi-challenge even on a 2-track that makes the low first gear a real benefit. Having to hit some stuff like that with more speed and momentum because of higher gearing gets a little sketchy sometimes as age and skill go their separate ways. Just saying that the bike, the rider, bike size/weight, and skill may affect gearing choice a bit. For me, lower gearing is like a gun...it may be something you hardly ever use, but when you need it, nothing else fills the bill.
Abuse the clutch TNC, abuse the clutch!
I showed one of your posts to a mtn. bike buddy here (Nomad, among a quiver rider) and he knew your name from MTBR, small world.
mylsmkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:59 AM   #467
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylsmkj View Post
Abuse the clutch TNC, abuse the clutch!
I showed one of your posts to a mtn. bike buddy here (Nomad, among a quiver rider) and he knew your name from MTBR, small world.
LOL!...small world indeed. It's funny, MTB'ing replaced my harder core off roading on dirt bikes for about 15 years. I was surprised that dirt bike riding didn't make the transition to MTB'ing the piece of cake I thought it would be. My terrain reading skills were still place, but MTB's aren't as competent as a good dirt bike...even my Nomad. When I went back to dirt bike riding from MTB's, my downhill skills on the dirt bike were improved greatly.

I spent lots of time over the years on MTBR. It's definitely the ADV of the MTB world.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:34 AM   #468
justlookin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Thanks for the advise

I will bring a spare countershaft sprocket with me and make sure chain will work OK first. Guess I will go ahead and buy a small tent - I wondered just how cold it would get out there at night. Thanks again for the advise - and as luck would have it I am of Irish heritage and have not blushed in a long time - think I'm ready
justlookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:57 AM   #469
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizGirl View Post
THIS. Plus, the poster Rick was directing the comment about gearing to is coming from Ohio, not Colorado. He has a new 500 that probably still has stock gearing. He is unfamiliar with the loose rock riding of the west. Going a tooth lower in his case is a good thing and will give him more control in the technical stuff. Not falling down or fighting your bike makes you a faster rider and conserves energy. All good things.
You are assuming the bike is geared too tall, the stock gearing on the KTM500XCW (6sp) has a very nice gear spread, nice low first and a tall 6th. If he was riding an XR650L a gearing chg is probably a wise decision and would help control. He's on a modern KTM that comes setup very nicely from the factory.

My suggestion is for justlookin is bring a fuel filter.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:06 PM   #470
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
You are assuming the bike is geared too tall, the stock gearing on the KTM500XCW (6sp) has a very nice gear spread, nice low first and a tall 6th. If he was riding an XR650L a gearing chg is probably a wise decision and would help control. He's on a modern KTM that comes setup very nicely from the factory.

My suggestion is for justlookin is bring a fuel filter.
+1. The original post stated that he is riding Ohio single track trails. A DRZ or SX would be a totally different story. If you are on a KTM and might be changing front sprockets, make sure to bring another dome washer for the sprocket nut.

BTW, do you guys have a campsite picked out in Ruin Park?

HellSickle screwed with this post 03-18-2013 at 02:45 PM
HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #471
mylsmkj
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
KTM500XCW (6sp)
Is there a 5 speed 5 hundo XCW? Just giving you crap RF!
I'd love to own one!
Old 03-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #472
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylsmkj View Post
Is there a 5 speed 5 hundo XCW? Just giving you crap RF!
I'd love to own one!
I got an itch for one too, we ride with a guy who has a new 350EXE and it's an amazing bike, climbs like a 300 and rips like a 650, the 500EXE is very similar with the extra nads to satisfy my addiction.

I might just sell the 525 after this ride for just that purpose.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:46 PM   #473
mylsmkj
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I got an itch for one too, we ride with a guy who has a new 350EXE and it's an amazing bike, climbs like a 300 and rips like a 650, the 500EXE is very similar with the extra nads to satisfy my addiction.

Torque junkie?
Old 03-18-2013, 04:39 PM   #474
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,153

Quote:

first refusal ?
Old 03-18-2013, 05:27 PM   #475
dmac1
Desert SW Luvr

Oddometer: 662
Regarding tent vs tarp, bring em both and decide based on the forecast. If the forecast is for solid wall to wall sun, go light.

We were out for a climbing trip in April many moons ago and never did set up the tents the entire week. We did put down a tarp to keep us out of the sand. Loved laying there on moonless nights watching the stars, meteors, satelites and even what had to be a high altitude military flight overhead. Never got any critters in our bag or shoes, but I'd be sure to knock your shoes together in the AM to make sure theres no scorpion in there. Probably not, but better safe than sorry.

Edit...if its predicted to be windy, be sure to bring the tent...and some guy lines to lash it down.

dmac1 screwed with this post 03-18-2013 at 07:48 PM
dmac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:51 PM   #476
dmac1
Desert SW Luvr

Oddometer: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
+1. If you are on a KTM and might be changing front sprockets, make sure to bring another dome washer for the sprocket nut.
Why another dome washer? I just put on new sprockets and chain and reused my old one. 06 450 EXC. Seemed ok. ??
Old 03-18-2013, 07:57 PM   #477
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,153

Quote:

I think RF is going the way of Blakebird--he got this 525 about six weeks ago Rode with him Sunday and that is one nice 525 I think I could have pulled away from him on the main dirt road over on Southern but he left me eating dust in the single track

OBTW I think there is a 350 on the floor at R&S on Lomas
Old 03-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #478
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac1 View Post
Why another dome washer? I just put on new sprockets and chain and reused my old one. 06 450 EXC. Seemed ok. ??
ah, I learned this the hard way. The stock KTM washer is designed to plasticly deform and lose some springiness with each application. The Manual calls for replacing that washer every time you take the sprocket off. It is a pretty inexpensive part. I believe that somebody does make an aftermarket washer out of tempered steel that doesn't have this issue. When I get a roundtoit I need to get me some of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac1 View Post
Regarding tent vs tarp, bring em both and decide based on the forecast. If the forecast is for solid wall to wall sun, go light.

We were out for a climbing trip in April many moons ago and never did set up the tents the entire week. We did put down a tarp to keep us out of the sand. Loved laying there on moonless nights watching the stars, meteors, satelites and even what had to be a high altitude military flight overhead. Never got any critters in our bag or shoes, but I'd be sure to knock your shoes together in the AM to make sure theres no scorpion in there. Probably not, but better safe than sorry.

Edit...if its predicted to be windy, be sure to bring the tent...and some guy lines to lash it down.
Yeah, you can get a lot of blowing sand right on the ground that would be very miserable without a tent. A few years ago a buddy had a fuel pump go out on his motor home. In a raging windstorm, he had to crawl under his motor home and drop the gas tank. He had to wear motorcycle goggles to see what he was doing and was picking sand out of his ears for a week afterwards

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:09 PM   #479
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Be prepared

Since we'll be crossing the colorado and green rivers, some extra preparations might be needed
http://youtu.be/XpLeelowXkk

Anyone bringing a parachute
Old 03-18-2013, 10:12 PM   #480
mylsmkj
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

I ride with a guy with a 350 also...or I used to....I haven't seen him for months now, He can make any bike climb like a 3 hundo and rip like a 650 though. Guy goes by cross country here, any word on him?

Just tell me when I step over the lines of thread jacking!