ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 04:47 PM   #706
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,163
The fuel nozzle fits in my MSR's but I've had the attendants turn off the pump when they see me filling a bottle
I'm carrying 3 but do not plan on using them if at all possible.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:05 PM   #707
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 2,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKASY View Post
The fuel nozzle fits in my MSR's but I've had the attendants turn off the pump when they see me filling a bottle
I'm carrying 3 but do not plan on using them if at all possible.
My bike is 6 gallons total.
I doubt carring extra fuel will be required, but I am bringing 1 1.5L bottle for fuel, and 2 1.5L bottles for H2O.
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:27 PM   #708
AtomicXRer
Chile Eater

Oddometer: 3,989
My photos of the day:

Old 04-30-2013, 05:32 PM   #709
AtomicXRer
Chile Eater

The Freak

Old 04-30-2013, 06:00 PM   #710
Deliverator
not a replicant

Oddometer: 79
OK, you guys are all just pulling my tallywacker with a bunch of photoshopped stuff, right?
Old 04-30-2013, 08:11 PM   #711
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 2,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliverator View Post
OK, you guys are all just pulling my tallywacker with a bunch of photoshopped stuff, right?
For pure eyecandy landscapes I've found nothing beats the SE Utah area.
Yes some places are perhaps more stunning, but overall turn after turn this place tops them all IMO.
Day after tomorrow I'm riding into Moab.
I cant wait!
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:22 AM   #712
AtomicXRer
Chile Eater

More pics...

Old 05-01-2013, 06:24 AM   #713
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,406
Wow those PICS! WooHoo!

As to the gas situation... I'm not on a dirtbike, there is NO petcock and no fuel line, it's all inside my TINY 2.2Gal gas tank that is under the SEAT. It's a funky BMW deal, but even though it is a 650, at least it gets 50-55 mpg. I want to do both the DollHouse and Robbers Roost! So yeah I'm carrying a couple of bottles AND and the infamous 6L black MSR Dromedary bag that will keep about a gallon for a couple of hours before it bursts into flamezzzz!

It worked in Baja but I only needed it once!

My only real concern with that is I have to fill it at the Outpost then strap it on full as I HOPE to make it up Elephant Hill with no tipovers. Usually I can just ride and dump it in after an hour. Will be interesting. So if you see an all black bike with a guy in a Klim jacket and a black helmet on E Hill, I'd appreciate a spotter or 2 on any ledge to go up, I only have 10" of ground clearance

I think as to filling the bottles I will let Jeff work his charm on his old GF and keep her busy in the back while I turn off the pump... I'm sure with all Jeff's now grey hair and wrinkled face, she will never recognize what used to be that virile strapping young lad from so long ago... from whence Junior was conceived (but that fist fight with Edward Abbey back in the day was worth the breeding rights, eh Jeffrey?)

Canyon Country! LIKE NO PLACE ON EARTH!

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:27 AM   #714
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicXRer View Post
More pics...

That was a great ride Geo.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ... Holy Shit, what a ride!"
Canyonlands Adventure Ride 2013 / 700 Miles of Scenic Utah Backcountry / VIDEOS
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:56 AM   #715
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post

Did ya ever get that topo app for the android? If so how do you like it?
I'll check again, but it was down last time. Here's the link:
http://www.pdf-maps.com/android/beta

It really saved a buddy with an iPhone last Sunday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
Wow those PICS! WooHoo!

My only real concern with that is I have to fill it at the Outpost then strap it on full as I HOPE to make it up Elephant Hill with no tipovers. Usually I can just ride and dump it in after an hour. Will be interesting. So if you see an all black bike with a guy in a Klim jacket and a black helmet on E Hill, I'd appreciate a spotter or 2 on any ledge to go up, I only have 10" of ground clearance

I think as to filling the bottles I will let Jeff work his charm on his old GF and keep her busy in the back while I turn off the pump... I'm sure with all Jeff's now grey hair and wrinkled face, she will never recognize what used to be that virile strapping young lad from so long ago... from whence Junior was conceived (but that fist fight with Edward Abbey back in the day was worth the breeding rights, eh Jeffrey?)
Look who's getting the hole shot on the whining! You are leading by three bike lengths and the gate hasn't even dropped yet.

I suppose neither one of us has aged well. Abbey fought like a little girl.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:24 PM   #716
Deliverator
not a replicant

Oddometer: 79
Fuel containers

At this point I am not doing the sort of riding that requires me to haul fuel, but I ended up getting a Cycleracks rear rack for my XRL and I noted what looked like a good fuel carry rig on their website. This might be helpful to one of you and I'd appreciate feedback from knowledgeable riders like you guys for myself in the future.

Unfortunately I cannot simply post a photo because I am a doofus, but if you follow this link:

https://cycleracks.com/ProductDetail...6/Default.aspx

You end up at the page for the Cycleracks bag supports. Then if you click on the "Customer Pictures" tab, the bottom photo shows a couple of fuel containers hung on a front rack.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:00 PM   #717
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Last time I did E Hill was in 1984 or so in the rain, the bike was about 150 pounds lighter, come to think of so was the RIDER! (ok not really).... but I made it fine, not sure how it's changed since then. So yeah it's easy to freak out. I pretty much just don't ever want to go down anymore.

All bikes have limitations it seems to me (for sane riders), here is one I wouldn't even do on my XR400 anymore though (ok maybe 10 years ago but)...

Killing my hard-to-find battery this weekend just added to my freak out so to speak, but I just found a replacement today in the snowstorm! Went with EarthX (LiFePO4) from their "world headquarters" 5 miles down the road. It's installed and CRANKING so I'm ready!

Let's ride!

See you at E Hill in 2 days then Jeff.. oh wait you've got issues and not evening going to race me up it? (tag. you're it.)

snooker screwed with this post 05-01-2013 at 01:46 PM
Old 05-01-2013, 01:44 PM   #718
singletrackslayer
Legalize singletrack

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
My photos of the day:

Devils garden? off of hole-in-the-rock road? This looks really familiar . . .
Old 05-01-2013, 01:48 PM   #719
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Quote:
My photos of the day:

Is that Chesler Park? I can't wait to see the Needles again!

Old 05-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #720
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Ha we posted at the same time! hehe