ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2013, 08:23 PM   #751
rinoman
Let's ride

Oddometer: 118

Near Black dragon wash
Old 05-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #752
rinoman
Let's ride

Oddometer: 118

Black dragon wash
Old 05-05-2013, 08:41 PM   #753
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 9,080
We were the first ones to roll into camp at 5:30ish. Arrows were placed, tents and chairs were set up. Having a case of ice cold beers crushed any motivation I might have had for exploring ruins on Friday. The dirt gang rolled in about the time we started putting dinner together. We were afraid that the 5 of us might have to finish all the beer by ourselves to lighten the load out the next day.

We did a leisurely pack up in the morning and hit the ruins on our way out. Exploration was limited to the sites around Farmhouse Ruin.

The best one required a short hike but was one of the best I've ever seen.

There was a large pit dwelling, a large rectangular room with 2 doors (window sized), a tower and some additional small buildings.

At one of the sites, Grizgirls sharp eyes found a pottery shard. It was the top edge of a large bowl. Probably at least 1000 years old. We left it in a safe place on the site.

The trip was off to a ruinous start.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:21 PM   #754
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,220
Did they reopen the gas station in Gateway?

When I was there last summer there was no gas.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:49 PM   #755
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
Did they reopen the gas station in Gateway?

When I was there last summer there was no gas.
Yes, it was open with three grades of gas.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:12 AM   #756
GrizGirl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
The first 20 miles of dirt was uneventful. Then we started the drop into Beef Basin. It's official. Riding heavy bikes loaded with days of water and supplies in deep sand really sucks. 3 of 5 riders went down. Some multiple times. Whitewater ripped the latch off his left Gobi.

Grizgirl washed out in the deep sand but managed to toss her bike onto the rock slabs to break her fall. The judges gave her 230 degree spin a combined score of 8.7 on style and 9.9 on injury avoidance. This is a screen shot from the video. I'm sure Rick will post up the entire sequence.

LOL, too funny. BTW, Rick's bike is facing the direction we are going. I had enough momentum from gripping it and ripping it, trying to save myself from crashing, to have popped out of the sand onto the rocks on my side while doing my 230 degree spin! Best lesson from the crash, when you know you are about to hit the ground tuck in the arms and legs to avoid breaking things! Video to come, I'm sure there will be armchair quarterbacks but honestly, sometimes washouts in sand, especially with heavy bikes, just happen.

What an awesome, awesome weekend. I made some new friends, continued and strengthened others. I saw so many amazing sights, tested myself on my giant pig of a bike and proved yet again that it can go places other than Starbucks. I think Joe said it best, falling down means you are learning and pushing yourself. It can be a good thing.

Thanks guys, for letting me go along. Pictures to come but for now I'm going to bed and dreaming of riding in the wilds of Utah. Life is good......
GrizGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:29 AM   #757
Tha Rick
Shake and bake!

Oddometer: 5,257
Thanks XR for putting this on and also hosting the big bike ride!

Coming out of the Ruin's I happened upon the dreaded desert tire grabber, very elusive and hazardous:

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

GrizGirl get's attacked by the the desert tire grabber!
She bounced right back, taking the tumble like a pro...Tuck and roll!

Luck would have it, I was close by to scare it away before it could feast.

The evening's "picking up dust"-tales of the ride, in verbal form.
Then an AWESOME meal served up by our host's, really great folk's.
Whitewater ready for first dib's!

A bit of Red's;

It's not about tha bike nor tha ride; it's about tha adventure in life we all seek. Great memories are made of taking tha trail less traveled and explored.
Tha Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:23 AM   #758
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!

Oddometer: 2,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post

The old sluceway along the Deloris canyon. In it's hay day, it ran more than 15 miles. Someone recently rebuilt a small portion. I'd like to know the story on this.

The Hanging Flume was built in 1887 for use in hydraulic mining. It started up on the San Miguel river at a dam and ran 12 miles into the Dolores canyon. It cost over $100k back then to build but only operated for three years. Low yield on the mine made it unfeasible to continue. An amazing amount of work went into building that structure, hung in the middle of cliff walls for most of its length.
It is a beautiful float. We hit it at least once a year in June when there is enough water!
Old 05-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #759
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizGirl View Post
LOL, too funny. BTW, Rick's bike is facing the direction we are going. I had enough momentum from gripping it and ripping it, trying to save myself from crashing, to have popped out of the sand onto the rocks on my side while doing my 230 degree spin! Best lesson from the crash, when you know you are about to hit the ground tuck in the arms and legs to avoid breaking things! Video to come, I'm sure there will be armchair quarterbacks but honestly, sometimes washouts in sand, especially with heavy bikes, just happen.
Now that I've been able to see the video on a big screen, I can see what you did wrong........

Captain Hindsight!!!! Why have you forsaken us?

Old 05-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #760
HellSickle
Scone Rider

After Ruin Park, we struggled thru the deep sand back to the Elk Ridge road. Getting out of the sand was a big relief.

The road across to Natural Bridges was awesome! Great traction, cool temperatures at 8k', and spectacular views off both sides.

Dark Canyon to the right:

Views to the left at Big Notch:

And amazing ancient ponderosas filling the warm spring air with the scent of vanilla.

We decided that this fall we need to haul the RVs up to Little Notch and spend a week exploring trails on light bikes.

The ride was going very well until we headed for Hall's crossing.....

Old 05-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #761
BuilderScott
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
BuilderScott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #762
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,166
Wicked

Im in snow and sleet overMolas and the big bike folks are posting pics must have wifi in their saddlebags
Old 05-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #763
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKASY View Post
Im in snow and sleet overMolas and the big bike folks are posting pics must have wifi in their saddlebags
Ha! No, but on the truck ride back from Fruita, I was able to tether my laptop to my phone & post pictures.

Continuing....

After reaching the highway at Natural Bridges, our plan was to head to Hall's crossing where we would get fuel, take the ferry across, and ride Burr trail up to Boulder.

2 of the 5 bikes were going to be on fumes when we got to gas. When we got to the final highway junction, I waved the low gas riders by so that they wouldn't be stranded when with everyone else riding off into the sunset. I pulled to the right, waved the other riders by, and watched over my left shoulder until they were past. In the process, all five of us seemed to miss the "fine print" at the bottom of this sign:

2 of the bikes ran out of gas 5 miles before the pumps. We dumped in the last gallon of spare fuel to get them there. At the store we discovered the ferry was closed. We had checked the web site before leaving, but should have called. The ferry is supposed to start running the first weekend in May. Apparently, that's when they tried to get it going and found it was in need of parts that had to come by slow boat from another continent.

We consoled ourselves with ice cream bars and indoor plumbing. Our only option was to head back to Hite (85 miles by road) and blast the highway to Temple Mountain. Before leaving, we rode down to the ferry dock. Even if the boat were running, I'm not sure how they would load vehicles with the water level being a long ways below the end of the cement ramp. Jump the ramp to stick a landing on the ferry deck?

The ride to Hite involved some very nice scenery at a brisk pace.

The paved ride out of Hite was some of the most wonderful motorcycle roads you could hope to find. We loaded up on beer in Hanksville & made it to Temple Mtn a few hours behind the fast dirt group, and a couple hours ahead of the slow group.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #764
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Our original plan for Sunday was to ride the roads thru the Swell and down Black Dragon wash. After some debate, we decided to skip Black Dragon and instead do the 35 mile loop around the interior of the Swell. It was a good choice. Here are some shots from the Lucky Strike mine:

Used Rambler anyone?

Old 05-06-2013, 04:33 PM   #765
DirtDad
Green Chile Guru

Oddometer: 1,579
Just got back to Albuquerque. All I can say is, Wow!

Thank you Ben for putting togther such a great ride.

And also thanks to your Mom, Dad, and your Wife, for being such
awesome hosts. You have a great family.
DirtDad is offline   Reply With Quote