ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 12:31 PM   #811
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKASY View Post
COXR what bike took the hit on the clutch cover? Ouch
That would be my riding buddy Greg on the Kawi KLX250. He was behind me and didn't make it up the first nasty spot on E Hill. We convinced him that JB Weld would fix it and he repaired it and we went the long but easy reroute up Cottonwood and Beef Basin Road to camp. His new handle is now JB. I sure missed seeing the Needles, now I have to go back.

Thanks again Ben and your family for all your efforts. I'll get some pics of of our group this weekend hopefully.

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:25 PM   #812
DirtDad
Green Chile Guru

Oddometer: 1,560
Here is a link to my photo's of the ride. Wish I would have taken more
photo's.

Just not a good photog.

http://dirtdad.smugmug.com/Other/Mao...9298699_mxDmGr
DirtDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:56 PM   #813
Tha Rick
Shake and bake!

Oddometer: 5,181
The final shot of Ray's, some hooligans sampling Rays quizine...
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

It's not about tha bike nor tha ride; it's about tha adventure in life we all seek. Great memories are made of taking tha trail less traveled and explored.
Tha Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:32 PM   #814
GJ650Rider
Slick Rock

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDad View Post
Here is a link to my photo's of the ride. Wish I would have taken more
photo's.

Just not a good photog.

http://dirtdad.smugmug.com/Other/Mao...9298699_mxDmGr

Those were some pretty good photos Deon.

We've certainly have enjoyed reading the comments and seeing all the photos posted by everyone recapping their experience of the ride. It's helped me relive the memories and excitement of pretty much the same ride Ben, his brother Aaron, and I did last year. It sounds as though everyone had a great time, we certainly did.

Thanks for all the kind comments, we appreciate it. It was a pleasure taking on the role of "Camp Host" to such a fine group of individuals. I don't think we could have asked for a better, more interesting, polite, courteous and friendly group of individuals. You were all great!! We enjoyed meeting and talking with all of you. It was truely a memorable experience.

I hope most, if not all of you can make it to Westfest this summer. We're going and I plan on riding while there. It would be nice to jump in and do some riding with those of you who are able to attend. Ben and I rode in that general area two summers ago and there were some pretty good tracks/trails/challenges to be had.

Keep the post ride photos / comments coming . . . They've been great!!
GJ650Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:55 AM   #815
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ650Rider View Post
Those were some pretty good photos Deon.

We've certainly have enjoyed reading the comments and seeing all the photos posted by everyone recapping their experience of the ride. It's helped me relive the memories and excitement of pretty much the same ride Ben, his brother Aaron, and I did last year. It sounds as though everyone had a great time, we certainly did.

Thanks for all the kind comments, we appreciate it. It was a pleasure taking on the role of "Camp Host" to such a fine group of individuals. I don't think we could have asked for a better, more interesting, polite, courteous and friendly group of individuals. You were all great!! We enjoyed meeting and talking with all of you. It was truely a memorable experience.

I hope most, if not all of you can make it to Westfest this summer. We're going and I plan on riding while there. It would be nice to jump in and do some riding with those of you who are able to attend. Ben and I rode in that general area two summers ago and there were some pretty good tracks/trails/challenges to be had.

Keep the post ride photos / comments coming . . . They've been great!!
It would not have been possible to do all this without my mom, dad and wife helping out with everything, so thanks guys!! We also had an awesome group of riders that made everything go so smooth even when we ran into problem

Like my dad said, his summer in Buena Vista is WESTFEST. Im sure its going to be a blast and we have some cool events scheduled on both Friday and Saturday nights like the free shuttle into BV with VIP tours of Deerhammer Distillery and then the BBQ and raffle on Saturday with tons of prizes from places such as Wolfman, IMS Products and many many more.

Thanks everyone, maybe next year my dad can lead the ride and Ill play camp host
COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:20 AM   #816
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ650Rider View Post

It was a pleasure taking on the role of "Camp Host" to such a fine group of individuals. I don't think we could have asked for a better, more interesting, polite, courteous and friendly group of individuals.
I think we must have been with different groups.

Thanks for your hospitality! It was great to meet you and your charming family.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:53 PM   #817
AtomicXRer
Chile Eater

Oddometer: 4,001
Rock, Ledges, and Sand

Rock, Ledges, and Sand

Old 05-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #818
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 2,063
Great video!
It really captures the difficultly and beauty of that section.
By that time I was wiped out.
Thanks for posting!
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:54 AM   #819
DirtDad
Green Chile Guru

Oddometer: 1,560
Nice George. That certainly was the most difficult part of the ride.
I was sucking wind by that time myself.
DirtDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:26 AM   #820
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,166
Talking

That was a good section I enjoyed it---after I got down it
Great video of the section and how to deal with it
I think we were all tired and that was mid afternoon--by the time I was riding in the woods in the dark I was really beat and hungry
Old 05-11-2013, 06:54 AM   #821
dmac1
Desert SW Luvr

Oddometer: 663
Am bummed I wasn't able to do the ride with you guys but enjoyed meeting a few of you in Temple camp. Thanks to Mtech and Sy for the clutch repair tips and mineral oil Thanks to Ben and Bob and family for the hospitality and beer.

Turns out one of the studs on the clutch basket had broken off and it was somehow holding the clutch such that it felt like the lever wasn't doing anything in first part of stroke. Prior owner possibly overtorqued? Was weird because would still lock up just fine. Pulled it apart next day and found a nice groove worn in the cover and some thick oil.

Wanted to meet more of you guys but it got late before I knew it and was overdue on a call home.

Your trip timing was great. Had rain every day after you left until Friday finally dawned clear. Rode Racetrack/Coal Wash/Eva Conover in off and on rain showers on Wedn. Coal was terrible after a few days of rain. Will post pics in a separate thread but here's a few teasers.

Glad you all had fun and hope to get in on a future trip.

dmac1 screwed with this post 05-11-2013 at 08:49 AM
dmac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #822
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,618
Sure glad we missed the rain

Nice job on the vid Geo, I've got some vid of the way up that hill, it's not pretty though

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ... Holy Shit, what a ride!"
Canyonlands Adventure Ride 2013 / 700 Miles of Scenic Utah Backcountry / VIDEOS
RideFreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #823
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,400
I've been enjoying the pics and videos from this ride.... that part would have been enjoyable on the TE310, and a handful on the TR.
Next time there's a smaller offroad bike in the garage though... I want to do that ride.

The TR is geared incredibly tall, and at 400 lbs it would have been a workout - definitely a candidate for the big bike route.
I'm changing the gearing now that I've had a chance to spend some time on it.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #824
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 2,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
I've been enjoying the pics and videos from this ride.... that part would have been enjoyable on the TE310, and a handful on the TR.
Next time there's a smaller offroad bike in the garage though... I want to do that ride.

The TR is geared incredibly tall, and at 400 lbs it would have been a workout - definitely a candidate for the big bike route.
I'm changing the gearing now that I've had a chance to spend some time on it.
Blake,
I was on my KTM690 and wished for my EXC450 for this section of the ride. Definatly lighter would of been better for this 15 miles and a few other sections, maybe 40 miles total. Mostly the gnarly rocky sections and fighting the weight in thesand washes where the sand was deep. For the other 560 miles the 690 was the right choice.
I do agree also a shorter gearing would of made those gnarly sections a little more managable.
Either way with all the help and everybody working together, we all made it. Mostly Ben on the Bobby's Hole hill.
Next year I'm bringing the 450, Lighter is better for me, and the marginal comfort of the bigger bike isnt worth it. My body is still reeling from the 4 day abuse I put it through. Fake hip and Degenerative disc disease has me still rehabbing from last week. Totally worth it!
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:54 PM   #825
AtomicXRer
Chile Eater

Oddometer: 4,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Sure glad we missed the rain

Nice job on the vid Geo, I've got some vid of the way up that hill, it's not pretty though
Thanks.

I thought you had over 200 GB of vids?