ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2013, 02:39 PM   #871
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleDubs View Post
Done and done.

My RR is over on XT225.com
Nice report Elle!
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:47 PM   #872
GJ650Rider
Slick Rock

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleDubs View Post
Done and done.

My RR is over on XT225.com

Yep!! That was a good report. I enjoyed reading it.

See you at West Fest . . .
GJ650Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:56 AM   #873
AtomicXRer
Chile Eater

Oddometer: 3,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by pprO.R.A. View Post
Been checking for the RR for this one with more pics and video. I can't see it moved to Day Trippr or RR, unless I overlooked it. Or is it still in the works?

I got another vid in the works.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:10 PM   #874
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,388
Nice RR Elle! It was great riding with you both, and I'm duly impressed with your skills especially with your recent crossover from mountain biking, not to mention your preparation. I'm working on a set of pics today for posting...

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #875
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,333
I got another vid in the works also, work, MCs and life is getting in the way at the moment though. Someone should start a RR in Day Trippin, I think allot more folks would enjoy it that way and get tuned into the whole CL cause that Ben's supporting.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:09 AM   #876
pprO.R.A.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Getting stoked for our Moab ADV

Old 06-04-2013, 10:22 AM   #877
pprO.R.A.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
These RR's and others about Moab has really fueled my passion for going out there again. Thanks to ADVrider and other inmates help and info about trails terrain,places to camp. I will post an RR once time allows after my return.
Hopefully I can learn how to post up vids as well.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:24 PM   #878
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by pprO.R.A. View Post
Triple digit high temperatures. Ride naked.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:32 PM   #879
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,149
Moab

Wed--statement--"down Rose Garden Hill" easier said than done Just ask Assfault--or me
Old 06-04-2013, 04:42 PM   #880
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKASY View Post
Wed--statement--"down Rose Garden Hill" easier said than done Just ask Assfault--or me
It's a piece of cake. Once you're out of control, you probably aren't going to stop until the bottom anyway.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:06 PM   #881
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 1,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKASY View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
It's a piece of cake. Once you're out of control, you probably aren't going to stop until the bottom anyway.

It would be easier without 50lbs of crap strapped to the bike, and or a lighter bike.
Either way, I wouldn't of not done it without you Sy. Best riding partner a ADVer could ask for.
Looks like I'm booked thru this next month working, just a 1 day break in the middle, to hopefully do the Boondoggle Ride with Yellowpig and Co. That ride is truelly a DS ride. None of those shenanagins like out west on the CL Ride.
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:52 PM   #882
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,149
Ride

I think YellowPig is down here this week--he got a map starting in Alcalde from Hair----now if you know Hair, well there just might be some deep sand and arroyos involved
Old 06-04-2013, 11:49 PM   #883
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Gold Bar, Golden Spike, doesn't one of those have some big ass steps on it? I did the Kokopelli trail on a mountain bike in my middle ages, going down Rose Garden I sure wish I had some real suspension and big ass tires, oh yeah and a MOTOR! Where's that thread where some kid made a wrong turn and took a Toyota sedan rental on that and it survived? was that on ADV? great reading...

Old 06-05-2013, 12:43 AM   #884
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Day 1

Ok I finally put together some pics from a few riders in our "subgroup"... the ones carrying full camping gear, so not the fast and light Chili eaters, and not the big pig pavement pounders either.

My full ride report with more pictures, a collection of all videos, GPS Tracks and more, is over at MY WEB SITE

But here's a summary of what happened to some of us. We got split up at Elephant Hill but rode together the next day...

==============================================
Day 1:

Leaving Mickey D's in Moab:

Lockhart Basin road:

Needles gas:

On Day 1 at Elephant Hill we were right behind the fast and light guys, studying the lines before just attacking, and filling in some gaps with rocks. I had thought about it all winter and was determined to stay on the pegs and ride that bitch...

and I just made it up that first tough section on my G650 XCountry...

... but my riding buddy Greg on the Kawi KLX250... well not so much luck as he went sideways and cracked his right side cover:

So we walked my bike back down and I helped convince Greg it can be fixed... JB Weld Kwik comes through again!
More on Elephant Hill in a later post.

We got it fixed then did the longer easy way in to Beef Basin Road to camp 1 in Ruin Park ... a couple more guys came with us to avoid the "agony and the ecstasy" route through Needles. I *REALLY* missed not seeing Chesler Park and all the needles, it has been 30 years since I've been in this part of Canyonlands and you guys that saw it know how spectacular it is. Guess we'll have to do this again next year!

So... even though we spotted the rest of the group a 2 hour head start, and 60 miles vs. the main group going only 17 gorgeous but DIFFICULT miles, to my surprise we ended up arriving at camp at the same time!

Old 06-05-2013, 01:46 AM   #885
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Day 2 and Day 3

On Day 2 it started out very fast, and I thought WoodenShoe road to Hite was a lot of fun. Then Ben's air filter intake was pissing him off so I agreed to lead the group up Flint trail to camp 2 since I had the GPS tracks, so he slabbed it the fast way (did you get gas at the Flintstones gas station in the sandstone in Hanksville? love that place).

Leading and going first proved to be my undoing, as we'll see..

=======================

Day 2 started out with Greg reporting only minor leaks in his JB Weld. I think he was happy and didn't worry anymore about getting stranded (plus we snagged a quart of oil at Needles the night before)...

Obligatory Ruins photo. It's like Malcomb Smith showing the new dirt biking couple the joys of riding... I'm bummed we didn't have time to see all the ruins, only this one.

I love this picture (at least the Hi Res version). On Woodenshoe road, this is Ben and the fast "old guy" with the purple accented jacket from Ohio(?) (not as old as me probably so I can say that), sorry I forgot your name, you can gimme crap for that I'll take it.

So after gas in Hite I was leading. We were on the Flint trail about 20 miles in and I was going at a nice clip, pretty far ahead of my buddy Greg behind me. I had that false confidence telling me sure I can handle anything that comes along at this speed. When suddenly I see I wish I was in the left track as the right one has a gawd awful deep rut filled with loose silty red dust where jeeps had made a nasty deep rut. It was over a slight crest, no time to change tracks or slow down.

Long story short I did an Endo over the bars as my front wheel dug in, landing 10 feet in front of the bike on my back and side. My helmet hit pretty hard but all of my ribs hurt though I could tell nothing seemed broken really. After 4 weeks now they are starting to feel better.

I got a face full and helmet full of dirt, took awhile to clean up my helmet so I could see. And it really tweaked my handlebars, even bent my aluminum subframe a couple of inches. Speed kills, but damn it's fun Actually GPS's kill as well, I'm sure I was screwing with it...

I swear this was the only place on the whole ride where there was an actual hard sided "rut" with silty dirt in it! It was Huge, no really, Neduro would have even crashed at the speed I was going! yeah right.

Here's a pic after everybody picked up my bike:

Someday I WILL make it to the Dollhouse. Not today, no way, though I carried a gallon of gas in an MSR dromedary bag all day, from Hite to camp where I poured it in .

I thought these were the "Flint switchbacks". Pretty wimpy I thought to myself. Nope they were later. Pretty fun actually.

Here's most of our group of 7 right after the switchbacks at the top:

Hans Flat Ranger station. Lynda the superstar...
I'm glad it got faster after this or we would be getting in way after dark! But it got REALLY fast.

The sign at the end of the dirt at Hwy 24.

==================

Day 3

I was one hurtin' unit, luckily my ribs didn't hurt on the bike, only while lying down... so I got up pretty late and didn't get out very early. We checked out the Swasey Cabin and Black Dragon wash was a fun ride.

Great ride, next time I will make it to the Needles dammit!