ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 06:46 PM   #76
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,387
LOL I know it is a long ways away, but this got a lot more interest then I expected.

I think you will enjoy exploring the ruins etc, it is very cool country and a lot of fun riding in the area after we dump the camping gear.

Id say at 60mpg and a 3 gallon tank you will be sett.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
this ride's in May....right?

I want to ride Kokopelli again, but I'll probably haul to Moab and leave my truck there. I'll carry camping gear, but if we're near a town with a motel I'll take advantage of that when possible - but I'm good with backcountry too.

I'll be in some places I haven't seen before, so I'll be riding a good pace but wanting to stop and take pictures too.

The 310 is capable of 60+mpg, but it's capacity is limited to 3 gallons plus a few Primus bottles (another gallon total)

Westfest 2013
Canyonlands Adventure Ride
COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:19 PM   #77
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,149
Plans

I plan on meeting the early group in Rabbit Valley and then Kokopelli into Moab. Will link up with RF there along with the rest of the---umm--group leaving on the 3rd.
Just put me on the info list (where when what time etc) for Rabbit Valley--guess I will need a motel there on the night of the 1st. Motel in Moab on the 2nd, motel in Blanding on the 3rd, sleeping bag for the 4th and enough full MSR bottles to keep Blakebird's bike running--do I have that about right?
Old 12-05-2012, 10:06 PM   #78
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Here's a quick vid I threw together of Lockhart Basin, ...

The entrance near Chicken Corners (begining of the video) is the worst BEST! of this trail ...
Fixed your typo.
That looks like a perfect relief to fast dirt roads that do tend to get a bit boring after a few hours.

Also, RideFreak, at around 7:45 into your earlier Flint Trail video I think at that part of the road, the soil looks like that nasty grey clay that, when wet, turns into either greased ice or the stickiest-lock-up-your-tire-to-your-fork-tubes crap I have ever been stuck in. (well, in the West at least!) When you get off your bike and it just stands there and you can't even push it over if you tried because of the 100 pounds of concrete molded around each tire. I still have visions of how depressed I was on that trip but hey I was the only motorcycle with 2 guys in their old Land Cruiser -- so this time we are all in it together!

Just wonderin' if anyone else has had the pleasure of being stuck in this crap in the middle of nowhere besides me? So for me rain is always an issue on some of these trails. This is not the Rockies boyz and there ain't a lot you can do about it 'cept change elevation. Ever seen the maps there that have perfectly flat roads that are marked "impassable when wet"?? hehe... yeah. And you ride them and see the 2 foot deep ruts but it's dry and scorching hot and you wonder? yep that's the ones. Hope for a classic dry desert weekend!

One more note Senor Dubinky, when you said that high trail was bone dry last April... that was 2012 right? Well we can only HOPE it is a muddy mess like "normal" this year, I mean we DO need some damn SNOW around the firezone we call the Front Range, right?

ok whining off, we can adjust on the fly in the rare event it is stormy...

I'm psyched! This is the anticipation that will help me make it through the winter! THANKS!

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:20 PM   #79
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,404
Just a suggestion, Senor Dubinky, you might want to move this signup list to your first post and keep it updated there. That way we can all find it in the future more easily as this thing evolves over the next few months.

For the 2 camping groups (not the "blast to Blanding" group), another thought, do you want to maybe split it up into a "faster" and "not faster" groups? Might keep the peace better. Not saying the fast group won't stop as much, just might keep a faster pace.
Now figuring out what "fast" means is not simple, e.g. I'm on a bigger 650 with less clearance and medium knobbies, so I may think I want in the faster group but won't pace with a fast dirt bike over rocky obstacles. Just an idea, especially for those that know they want to go slower.

For me, I plan on starting and finishing in Moab and camping every night. (But a shower or an extra water source for a head dip at least, would be a welcome option every day or 2)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COXR650L View Post
Ok guys....

So we are filling up fast:

Ridefreaks groups is full. The ones I have down for ridding straight through to Blanding and getting a hotel are:
-Ridefreak
-Akasy
-Burgue Magoo
-Hellsickle
-AtomicXrer
-Mtech1950
-Assfault

The ones I have down for camping in Ruin Park are:
-COXR650L
-Spkenerd +1rider
-The Breeze
-Snooker
-Dmac1
-Steinbeck65
-Hanksmybuddy
-Wacked
-Rhinoman

-Blake which group were you planning on ridding with on day one?

So I think that should all be correct in regards which ride each person was doing for night one.

Right now we have 18 riders and Ridefreaks group is full.

Ben

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:27 AM   #80
burque magoo
master of disaster....

Oddometer: 5,026
Senor Dubinky:

although I have been known to consume a burger or 3 on occasion; my ADV handle is "burque" magoo, as in the slang nickname for Albuquerque.......

Izzit May yet?

burque magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:07 AM   #81
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Haha so is that forewarning I should bring plenty of food?
Quote:
Originally Posted by burque magoo View Post
Senor Dubinky:

although I have been known to consume a burger or 3 on occasion; my ADV handle is "burque" magoo, as in the slang nickname for Albuquerque.......

Izzit May yet?
Snooker-
Good suggestion, I added the IN list to the front page. I will also send out a group email some time after the first of the year with all the info. Subsequent emails will have any major updates and also the finalized tracks. This way people will not miss a post on the thread with anything important.

Yes I have ridden this when wet, and snow packed, and alone It can be nasty and we will evaluate the road conditions as it gets closer. Hell, if we dont get any snow at some point maybe we can give it a go in Feburary

The plan is to split the main group (camping) into 2 smaller groups so people can ride at a comfortable pace and we keep the dust down, etc. I will be leading one group and I will probably have a leader for the second group that has ridden this route before, but I will have to wait till it gets closer to know for sure.

An option for those that want a shower on night two is staying in Goblin Valley State Park, (still tent camping). It is only about 5-10min away from the group camp and BBQ. http://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/goblin-valley. If you want to stay here I would make a reservation at least by March or April. It can fill up pretty quick in the spring.

Regarding the Koko again,

If there are 6-8 people interested I will lead a group for this leg to moab and then back to rabbit valley. But I need at least that many otherwise I cant justify coming over a day early. I have tracks for anyone that wants to ride it though.

I think we are all set to go, just in time for winter

Westfest 2013

COXR650L screwed with this post 12-06-2012 at 06:12 AM
Old 12-06-2012, 07:38 AM   #82
justlookin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
I want to do this

Got room for one more rider? Rode thru Moab in 2010 doing the TAT and really want to go back and explore the area. Thought I wanted to go back after I retire in a few more years but I may not have that much time - thanks to Uncle Sam. Thanks for doing this .
justlookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:56 AM   #83
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
I guess I'd better say "IN" officially if there's a 20-ish rider limit....this thing will fill up months beforehand
Took about 6 days, I figured it'd fill up fast.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:03 AM   #84
AKASY
Noob

Koko

OK I've said I'm IN for Koko on 2 May--now it looks like we need at least 5 others
Old 12-06-2012, 08:39 AM   #85
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 1,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKASY View Post
OK I've said I'm IN for Koko on 2 May--now it looks like we need at least 5 others
Add me to that IN list.
I'll just figure on riding back to here as well on the last day to get back to my truck.
I'm not scared!
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:42 AM   #86
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Ok Guys ride is Full

Who is Boby? I am trying to put names with ADV handles.....

Ben

Westfest 2013
Old 12-06-2012, 08:47 AM   #87
sknx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
That would be me,just filled the form 20 min ago. Have no idea which group I'll be in.

Boby

Quote:
Ok Guys ride is Full

Who is Boby? I am trying to put names with ADV handles.....

Ben
sknx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:57 AM   #88
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,634
Quote:

Regarding the difficulty of Lockhart Basin....
It is much easier than the Koko or Elephant Hill area. I can only think of 1 "difficult" spot. Mostly it is wide open, maybe some sand (ok maybe a lot of sand) in a few spots.

Hellsickle or Ridefreak can you think of anything in Lockhart Basin that would pose problems compared to Elephant Hill or Koko???
Agreed. In that direction, the biggest challenge on Lockhart will be the climb up from Chicken Corners.

Despite years of paving, Elephant hill will be a challenging climb on a loaded bike. Nothing that teamwork and clutch abuse can't solve. A few miles after Elephant Hill, there are a couple of climbs out of valleys around Devils Kitchen that can also be tough. The final climb a few miles before Ruin Park will be another challenge.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:15 PM   #89
AKASY
Noob

Quote:
Regarding the Koko again,

If there are 6-8 people interested I will lead a group for this leg to moab and then back to rabbit valley. But I need at least that many otherwise I cant justify coming over a day early. I have tracks for anyone that wants to ride it though.
So far we have me and Assfault for the Koko---looks like it is going to take until May to get 6-8
Bump to the top for the Koko
So who wants to ride a few extra miles?
Old 12-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #90
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 1,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKASY View Post
So far we have me and Assfault for the Koko---looks like it is going to take until May to get 6-8
Bump to the top for the Koko
So who wants to ride a few extra miles?
I would rather keep it a smaller group. Yourself, one or two more, and myself would suit me just fine:)
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote