ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2013, 01:56 AM   #886
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,406
Summary Video

My riding partner Greg on the Kawi KLX250 took some GoPro footage and I made a little video of sections of the entire ride. Tried to get shots of people in it... plus the Black Dragon wash is at the end.

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:55 AM   #887
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,406
King of the Elephant Hill

Ok here's the thing. I took my first trip to Utah in 1983, I was on a '74 Yamaha MX360 with a Baja tank. The 2-stroke ran like crap and it rained so much we got stuck in the clay in Beef Basin and it was messing with the ignition too, so overall it had no power. It was miserable.

I was the only motorcycle in the group. It was 2 buddies in an old Land Cruiser pulling my little moto trailer. We ditched the trailer at Fisher Towers, and I rode it on US 191 in the rain from Moab to the Needles district entrance. I remember riding on the 18" between the white line and the edge of the pavement while semi's passed me 2 feet away in the rain going 60 mph. I had a crappy rubberized rain suit on and by the time we got to Needles I was shivering uncontrollably with hypothermia.

I remember riding Elephant Hill without even thinking, and all the other steps to get to our camp in Chesler Park. But I don't remember it being particularly hard. I think all the Jeeps since then and the pouring of concrete and asphalt has made it harder when it gets separated into big tall blocks.

Anyhow... I had not been back to this area since 1983. And Elephant Hill has always been in my mind. But now my bike is bigger, heavier and less ground clearance. Oh yeah being OLDer means having to "see what condition my condition is in" before attempting crazy stuff anymore.

Dirt bike are one thing but bigger and heavier, plus camping gear, well yeah I was trying to gauge my risk level and would it be too much? Was my bike and myself not up to it? So yeah I was "concerned" over the winter about this obstacle. But what the hell, gotta go get it done, right?

----

I'm telling you this so you have some idea of the reason for me obsessing over Elephant Hill. I was determined to get on the pegs and RIDE it, if it looked doable. So I'm gonna do some bragging, it is rare I have any reason to. But first, here's a little video I made that shows the battle that my riding buddy and I had on Elephant Hill.

Greg (KLX250) shot the footage and I edited it. I am on the BMW G650 XCountry.
Here's our methodical "Assault on Elephant Hill":

I DID IT! Ok well the first part, I had to go back down to help Greg fix his bike...

But ok now I'm gonna brag so bear with me and get ready to flame me (Hellsickle I expect something clever from you)...

====

OK. If it pleases the court of ADV I present to you the above video plus the following evidence, taken from RideFreak's Elephant Hill Video of the "fast and light" crew...

You will see that in fact I was the only rider in our group with a 650 or bigger bike that RODE it up the tricky first section of Elephant Hill without a single foot dab.
And in fact I was loaded with camping gear as well. [ I know, I know, amazing isn't it ].

++ Exhibit A ++
I present the KLR 650 rider who paddled the entire section. A safe and wise choice. The RideFreak (Chris's) video shows this clearly but here is a still shot showing the feet down and Chris's hands on the bike pushing him:

++ Exhibit B ++
Oh Assfault . Out of the saddle and walking, so many hands helping... [ tsk, tsk, tsk] not a contender for bragging rights, clearly. What can I say, it's called "Adventure Riders" not "Adventure Walkers"

========

So there ladies and gentlemen of the jury, you have seen the overwhelming evidence, and as you can see the bragging rights clearly are in my corner.

Thank you.

What? what's that you ask? "But surely our fearless leader Ben, who single handedly rode 37 motorcycles up Bobby's Hole hill in a matter of minutes..... Surely Ben cleaned Elephant Hill?"

... so I too thought, until I examined the Freak man's video closely.. and what do you think I found?

++ Exhibit C ++
THERE THERE - a foot DAB! Clearly! The weight shifted to the left foot, planted firmly on the ground at the top of the obstacle. Not to mention only seconds later he would be at the top of the next corner and falling to the ground (ok well there were too many people blocking the landing zone so that is understandable )...

So there, ladies and gentlemen, until further evidence is presented to dispute my case, I declare myself "king of the first corner of Elephant Hill on a 650 or bigger on this day"!

Now sand and silt ruts, well that's another thing...

Please PM me for autographs and I will reply with an address for the SASE. I will be signing autographs for a $25 donation to Ben's chosen "Utah Shared Access Alliance" fundraiser, until the 8x10 photographs of me run out.

I rest my case.

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:02 AM   #888
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post

So there, ladies and gentlemen, until further evidence is presented to dispute my case, I declare myself "king of the first corner of Elephant Hill on a 650 or bigger on this day"!

Now sand and silt ruts, well that's another thing...

Please PM me for autographs and I will reply with an address for the SASE. I will be signing autographs for a $25 donation to Ben's chosen "Utah Shared Access Alliance" fundraiser, until the 8x10 photographs of me run out.

I rest my case.
I can hear it now,

"So you're that guy, the king of the first corner of Elephant Hill on a 650 or bigger"
"Yup, that's me"
"What's it like on the top?"
"Uhh, beats me, I never made it that far."

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ... Holy Shit, what a ride!"
Canyonlands Adventure Ride 2013 / 700 Miles of Scenic Utah Backcountry / VIDEOS
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:10 AM   #889
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 2,052
Hey, Snooker is at the very least upholding the BMW mantra, "I will pat myself on the back and put down others"
humblebragging.
Good work Snooker, keep up the tradition!
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #890
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,590
Pfffft!...snooker, you got nothin'! Last year when I was riding with Hellsickle's group going up Elephant Hill, I saw a real man displaying some real riding talent. An older gentleman, Howell, was going up the hill from the parking lot just in front of me while I was bringing up the rear. He was riding an older KTM250 2-stroke. When he got to that first big step-up pictured in your video, the back end kicked out. Did he kill the engine and give up...No! Howell kept the gas on, and in fact he kept the gas on so hard that the bike did a couple of full 360's while he stood in the middle, just turning with the bike so as not to get knocked down by the wildly spinning bike. He looked like a matador with his cape teasing a mad bull in circle after circle. At first I thought he was going to fall and crash big time, but then I realized he was just winding up the bike for another attack on the big step-up. He slung his leg over the bike and continued up the hill and over the ledge. It was the most violent non-crash I've ever witnessed. At the top of the hill I asked Howell for his autograph.

But seriously, snooker, great vids of the action. I met up with y'all over at Ben's camp in the swell for the cookout, and I saw the cracked engine cover on the KLX. Impressive. When I got home I went out to the auto parts strore and got some JB Weld Quikstick.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:54 AM   #891
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,163
Elephant Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
I can hear it now,

"So you're that guy, the king of the first corner of Elephant Hill on a 650 or bigger"
"Yup, that's me"
"What's it like on the top?"
"Uhh, beats me, I never made it that far."

Wait-wait, if he didn't get to the top then that means he stopped. If he stopped he put his foot\feet down
So that implies that in fact he did not make it without a dab Short of videos or pictures showing the turn around without feet\foot on the ground---it didn't happen
Sooo, seems to me that he falls into the same league as the rest of us that put a foot or in my case other assorted significant body parts down on Elephant Hill
Old 06-05-2013, 10:00 AM   #892
TNC
Candyass Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKASY View Post
Wait-wait, if he didn't get to the top then that means he stopped. If he stopped he put his foot\feet down
So that implies that in fact he did not make it without a dab Short of videos or pictures showing the turn around without feet\foot on the ground---it didn't happen
Sooo, seems to me that he falls into the same league as the rest of us that put a foot or in my case other assorted significant body parts down on Elephant Hill
So...all this talk of "dabbing"...was this a fully sanctioned AMA trials event or just an outlaw competition?
Old 06-05-2013, 10:10 AM   #893
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,163
Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
So...all this talk of "dabbing"...was this a fully sanctioned AMA trials event or just an outlaw competition?
There were so many guys standing around on all the difficult hills that everyone looked like a fully sanctioned trials meet But not sure the AMA gives spotters cameras and digital camcorders
Old 06-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #894
mtech1950
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 412
cl

dog pile!
mtech1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #895
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,592
Here's some more riding.

Day number 2.

This one leaves from Blanding, up Woodenshoe Rd, then up the Flint Trail.

Lost my back brake about 1/2 way thru this vid, not the most comfortable situation to be in on the Flint Trail.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ... Holy Shit, what a ride!"
Canyonlands Adventure Ride 2013 / 700 Miles of Scenic Utah Backcountry / VIDEOS
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:01 PM   #896
AtomicXRer
Chile Eater

Oddometer: 3,989

Day 2 was my favorite day of the 3 days. I liked the section heading toward Hite.

Quote:
Day number 2.

Lost my back brake about 1/2 way thru this vid, not the most comfortable situation to be in on the Flint Trail.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:01 PM   #897
AtomicXRer
Chile Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtech1950 View Post
dog pile!
Been snooked.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #898
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,435
Quote:
Day number 2.

Great Vid Chris!! Question is, did you dab on day 2??
COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #899
AtomicXRer
Chile Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by COXR650L View Post
Great Vid Chris!! Question is, did you dab on day 2??

What?

No brake....
Old 06-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #900
TNC
Candyass Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicXRer View Post
What?

No brake....
LOL!...yeah, I saw him running around in camp that evening trying to scrounge brake fluid. However, that probably kept him from dabbing since there was no way he could put a foot down with a runaway KTM.