ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2012, 09:11 AM   #1
LostViking OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,013
Need Maine/New Hampshire Advice (relocation)

Hello Maine/ New Hampshire folks, I need a little help.

Just back from a stint in Colorado. Took a position out there that didn't work out. Have a new one lined up for Maine and New Hampshire. I will need to reside around the Lewiston, Maine area roughly, but could also be able to live in New Hampshire as long as it isn't too far. I'm sort of open on the location.

At this point I'm looking for any info I can get. I will need to rent a house for while until I'm sure this will work out job wise. Then I will look to buy.

I live in a rural area outside of town and would be looking to replicate that. The smaller the town the better. The town I grew up in still doesn't have a traffic light. I am just not much of a city dweller. I don't need culture, or at least not the kind found indoors. I like to burn wood and have room to roam. Gun friendly is good also. Good riding, paved or dirt would be a plus.

I live 9 miles from the Canadian border now. So I have a grasp on the winter weather for the most part.

But any info will be appreciated, weather, real estate, taxes, cost of living, riding buddies, roads, good areas to look at. Anything really.

A little about me,

This is what I like to do,

This is my dog,

One of the bikes I should have kept,

This is what our winters look like,

Things I collect and use,

That should give you an idea of what I'm looking for.
Thanks in advance for your help.

LV.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
Racer111v
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
You don't have to go very far from Lewiston to be in the middle of nowhere. But you can find a place to live like you describe any where in Maine, NH, or Vermont. NH works for me because I like a mix of civilization an primitive life.I grew up in Orono ME about 2 hours northeast of Lewiston. Just a little limited to me. You will have a better chance finding something reasonably price on the water in Maine than NH. Maine has income and sales tax, NH has neither.
Racer111v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
tdvt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
I'm not really familiar with that part of Maine so I'm not sure why I'm responding.

But... my wife's family is from the Harrison/Bridgton area & we had a nice visit there this past summer. The are/were all transplanted Finns & when I saw how many lakes there were in the area it made sense. Not too far from Lewiston, North Conway, NH, also the coast in one direction & the beautiful roads in the White Mountain Nat'l Forest in the other. I live in northern Vermont & it's always a nice ride over there.

Good luck!
tdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #4
Mike Mc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
You may want to take a peek here.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/maine/

Many threads on moving to Maine, with local knowledge available if you ask.
Mike Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:55 AM   #5
LostViking OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mc View Post
You may want to take a peek here.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/maine/

Many threads on moving to Maine, with local knowledge available if you ask.
Interesting website, thank you.

And thanks for the other feedback as well, please keep it coming.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:52 AM   #6
Daytrader
Elitist Bastard

Oddometer: 362
Maine riders thread

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=396920

I lived there for two years.
Too cold, but some great places to ride and very nice people for the most part.
Daytrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:25 AM   #7
donmac
casual angler

Oddometer: 249
Northern New England is my favorite place. I have spent most of my life in NH but I am currently 'doing time' in Delaware since that is where the job market took me. I still have a place in the NH Lakes Region and I can fortunately work from up there remotely for a week every month or two. (I have been down here for 4+ years now and still miss the mountains, clear water lakes and rivers - and the associated curvy roads.)

As stated earlier, it is cheaper to buy waterfront in northern Maine, but there may be fewer job opportunities. NH is a tax friendly state for the most part. If you consider Southern NH and don't mind a commute that opens up the Boston area job market. But Southern NH does not typically look like the pictures you posted.

So, in addition to what you 'like' to do, consider what you 'need' to do, and then consider where those opportunities exist.

I'm not sure New England has recovered as much economically as some other parts of the country.

If similar opportunities existed up there, I wouldn't have come down here to begin with. ;)
donmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:51 AM   #8
NHBill
Loosely Wrapped

Oddometer: 1,492
We moved to a small town in the CT River Valley, of SW NH, about 5 years ago. Possibly not quite as rural or remote as you'd like but here's what the area has to recommend it.
  • Small towns, we don't have a stop light here either (but there is a flashing yellow )
  • Green Mtns of VT, 45 min away
  • White Mtns 1 hr away
  • High Peaks of the ADK's in under 3 hours
  • Riding in and around this area is truly great. Pavement and dirt available during the summer and lots of trails for snow machines, during the winter, if that's what you're in to.
  • Literally, thousands of small lakes, ponds, and streams for that canoe of yours.
  • People. The area is still largely active agricultural land and our neighbors (and community) are awesome. We can see our closest neighbors houses (during the winter, anyway) and we're close enough that if something nasty happened we could get help quickly, but far enough apart that we're not in each others business (or care what each others business is, for that matter). We're also close enough that we get together, when the mood strikes, for drinks or a meal or to help with a project or a chore.
  • Guns, it's a rare day that I don't hear one of my neighbors target shooting and many of them are hunters and/or fisherman. Many of us are very active campers and outdoors people.
  • Boston is 2 hours away, Portland, ME and Albany NY are 3 Hours away, NYC is 4-1/2 Hours away. All, close enough to take advantage of, but far enough that you are in a totally seperate world if that's what you want. It also means that if, God forbid, something ugly were to happen to you or a loved one, there is outstanding medical care available, or access to transportation to get to somebody if they need you.
  • There are a couple colleges locally, which means that there is some culture available. It also keep the area "upscale" enough to ensure decent jobs at decent wages.
  • Good schools around (you didn't mention any family but it's also good for property values, etc).
The biggest downside, for NH at least, would have to be the taxes (Sorry to disagree donmac). There's no sales tax but the $ to keep things going has to come from somewhere, so the taxes are high. Property, added value, excise, gas, etc. they all add up quickly .

The reality of it all is that what makes it ideal for one person, may not make it work for you. Make a list of the must haves for a "Home" and then travel around the area. Talk to the clerk in the convenience store or the person on the stool next to you at the diner. Try to get a feel for the people because that will tell you volumes about the area.

Good Luck!
"There's a very fine line dividing bravery from stupidity..."
2009 F650GS

NHBill screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 05:55 AM Reason: Because...
NHBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:36 AM   #9
LostViking OP
Beastly Adventurer

Now this is what I was hoping for.

Just to clear a few things up.
I already have a job, I will be covering the whole of both New Hampshire and Maine. A large territory to say the least. My employer suggested Lewiston as a somewhat central location. But I have the ability to live somewhere else within a reasonable distance. Probably about an hour max. Apparently the lion's share of business parallels the population centers along the coast and slightly inland.

I do not currently live, nor do I need to live in the future, on the water. I live near, but not on a lake. The water my canoe is in is not mine. I borrowed it from New York State. I find that both expenses and crowds increase the closer you get to water and I seek neither. Would it be nice, sure. But I'd rather have 30 acres of solitude on a mountain somewhere.

I will look to rent initially, as I did in Colorado. Until my comfort level is good that things will work out with my company, Then look to buy sometime in the not to distant future.

We live pretty simply, and don't need or want much. Bigger House=Bigger expenses.
Our current house/camp is in the Adirondacks and is small but cozy.

Quite nice actually,

When it doesn't look like this,

It even has this, Nice when the power is out.

I live on a dead end road and this is what's out past the end,(all State land)

I like taking this,

And building things like this,

No sense having a big house when I'm outside most of the time.

I have come to realize every state has their own unique and creative way of extracting money from it's residents. And that in some way it all equals out. I know some can be more efficient at this than others. But they all seek more of your money to conduct their business than you would like to give them.

I think the key, like most things in life, is balance. Finding a place you like, in an area where you can afford to live, while earning enough to stay happy. In my mind at least, bigger does not necessarily equal better. Just more taxes, fuel, insurance, upkeep, utilities, Been there done that. Don't need or want to do again.

Having just returned from a two month stint in Colorado. I witnessed this first hand. Sure the property taxes on a $600,000.00 house might only be $2,000.00. But the sales tax where I worked was 8.6%. Health care was extremely high, food was high. Real Estate was very high. It all equals out.

For instance I had breakfast in a run-of the-mill diner, nothing fancy for sure. A sausage, egg, and cheese sandwich on rye with coffee was $11.54 before tip. Roughly double what I would pay here. Lunch and dinner were about the same.

If you bought a new bike you could travel and only pay 2.9% Sales tax. but you paid the rest when you went to license it.

Plus, I really missed the hardwood trees and just trees in general. They have sun every day. But they have to irrigate to get anything to grow. Water is scarce especially this year. So again it's all about finding balance.

LostViking screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 08:49 AM
LostViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:53 AM   #10
donmac
casual angler

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHBill View Post
... The biggest downside, for NH at least, would have to be the taxes (Sorry to disagree donmac). There's no sales tax but the $ to keep things going has to come from somewhere, so the taxes are high. Property, added value, excise, gas, etc. they all add up quickly .
I said 'tax friendly', not 'tax free'. You're right in that it has to come from someplace. Property taxes and various fees have crept up significantly over the years. But gas is still often cheaper up there than many other places. And it certainly is expensive to register new vehicles. But the lack of an income and sales tax is significant. I live in DE now and, even though we also do not have a sales tax down here, the overall cost of living is much higher. I actually haven't run the numbers in a very long time - but even if it were not tax friendly up there, it'd still be worth it for the lakes, mountains and twisty roads.

Looking forward to getting back up there soon for couple of weeks of ice fishing.
donmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:18 AM   #11
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,118
Pretty nice place you have there. Is that upstate NY? I think you'll like Maine or NH. You can replicate that environment in either state. All the things you like to do are real handy too.

I see NH and ME as having two different cultures; seacoast and inland. The seacoast communities are nice, but very different in that they are sort of resort/summer oriented. Meanwhile, the inland communities are very much outdoors lifestyle oriented. My favorite is probably NH.

As an example, in Manchester there is a pond in town that freezes over. There is a group of motorcyclists that plow the frozen pond and make a little short track out of it. Then they race dirtbikes with studded tires for hours on weekends. If we did that in Massachusetts, they would throw us in jail. In New Hampshire they bring lawn chairs and watch.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:39 PM   #12
2twisted
GoodNYou

Oddometer: 2,864
It appears you would fit into the Maine lifestyle just fine, not a huge fan of Lewiston/Auburn myself, not that it is a bad town just too busy an area for my liking.

Look on the outside of town, maybe Bethel, Oxford , Paris, Andover or a little more South, closer to the White Mtns and the ocean is always a bonus. Maine has some good riding and a lot of inmates that hang out in this forum.

If you decide you want to meet a few inmates to ride with and maybe throw a couple back you can start with the Whitehorse Press weekend (Whaco) or wait till fall and hit Cro-Mag.

And a few other good rides in between.

If I can be of any other help shoot me a PM.

BTW, nice Knife collection.
2twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:58 PM   #13
Tripod
waldeinsamkeit

Oddometer: 1,138
^^also not a fan of L-A (sorry, guv), but if that is the center of your universe (or your masters) go west. As mentioned, Harrison is a great little town with public launch at Long Lake and couple small eateries/pubs. Got a nice feel to it. Bridgton is right down the road if you need food shopping and more night in your life.

Or Waterford, if you want to hang by your fingernails from the edge of the universe. Suggest using one hand 'cuz the hunting is really pretty good!

PM if you are looking for land and I'll give a contact.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:04 PM   #14
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,118
Bethel

Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:30 PM   #15
ValuePack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Bethel

Hey, now that's an idea. The wife and I head up there to see the rally every summer, and we both love that town to death. As long as you're set for employment, Bethel is where I'd start.

An hour from Lewiston, not far from Berlin and North Conway, a river through town, cheap land, nice folk, good food, real quiet, untold scads of backroads, and SPACE. I still like Mexico just up the road, but it's nowhere near as nice.
ValuePack is offline   Reply With Quote