User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2012, 10:48 AM   #1
trc.rhubarb OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,929
what to do with old boots?

I go through a pair of boots every 9-12 months because I wear them daily for riding and work. They are worn out for my purposes but far from unusable. I hate to throw them away but can't find places that take old boots.

I might cut one pair to make wheel savers for changing tires but that leaves maybe 6 or 7 pairs i still have around the house.

I've saved a pair or 2 for yard work and painting and just can't keep them stacking up!

Toss em or do you guys have other ideas? Salvation Army and GoodWill seem to only want 'new' stuff anymore.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,422
Put them at the end of your driveway with a free sign, they'll sit for ever. Put them at the end of the driveway with a $50 sign they'll be gone the first night.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #3
zenjen
Go Outside

Oddometer: 2,634
Hand them out to any homeless people in your area.
zenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:09 PM   #4
ElTigre1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Boots

I'll be getting replacements for my 8-year-old Alpinestars SMX 4s soon. I had thought I would offer them on this forum and//or the FZ1OA forum to somebody who doesn't have any. There are still way too many people who ride without proper gear. Many of them are very short on cash and see boots as a major expense. Perhaps a free pair of boots will tide them over and plant the seed for replacement when needed. For the right situation, I might even send them with the postage on me.
ElTigre1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:07 PM   #5
keiji
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,027
How are they worn out? The soles or something else? If it is the soles I would just get them resoled....
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:27 PM   #6
iBiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
I have used my old boots as pots for plants. They make a unique flower garden discussion piece. And they are quite functional in that capacity as well.
iBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:04 PM   #7
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,383
Give them away in the flea market for the cost of shipping. Even well worn motorcycle specific boots may be better than what many are currently wearing. You could even have the recipient make a small donation to ADVrider in return. There are already threads set up in the flea market such as this: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=544935
Old 12-01-2012, 07:38 PM   #8
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,405
you wore out 7 pairs and wear out boots within a year? Time to pony up for a better pair of boots. Maybe some Aerostich CBTs or something that you CAN'T wear out.

As for the old boots, put em in the free to the military thread.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:10 PM   #9
ChadHahn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Give them to a thrift store.

Chad
ChadHahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:02 PM   #10
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,153
My vote is post them up here or on another bike forum for the cost of shipping.

As was already said, a lot of riders don't have much money and are riding in work boots or other not-very-protective boots because they can't afford a decent pair of riding boots. Sure, it's a bit of extra work for you, but doing something nice for others is always good for the soul, so to speak.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:15 PM   #11
zenjen
Go Outside

Oddometer: 2,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post
I go through a pair of boots every 9-12 months because I wear them daily for riding and work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
My vote is post them up here or on another bike forum for the cost of shipping.
As was already said, a lot of riders don't have much money and are riding in work boots or other not-very-protective boots because they can't afford a decent pair of riding boots.

The OP was not specific about what type of boots these are, but I took it as they are work style boots, not dedicated motorcycle riding boots.

zenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:25 AM   #12
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen View Post

The OP was not specific about what type of boots these are, but I took it as they are work style boots, not dedicated motorcycle riding boots.

After re-reading his post, I think you're right. At least, I can't imagine using any of my motorcycle boots for yard work. Well, maybe I would wear them working in the yard in the summer . . . with only some tight cutoff jean shorts . . . and no shirt.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:31 AM   #13
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 4,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
After re-reading his post, I think you're right. At least, I can't imagine using any of my motorcycle boots for yard work. Well, maybe I would wear them working in the yard in the summer . . . with only some tight cutoff jean shorts . . . and no shirt.
while mowing the grass on...

Old 12-02-2012, 11:07 AM   #14
trc.rhubarb OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,929
Hey, thanks everyone. You are right, they are not motorcycle specific boots, they are my compromise because I ride daily to the office and clients, walk quite a bit at work and wear them even when not riding.

The soles are worn and the leather is a bit scuffed on the toes in most. When I get them on sale, they are about $100 each so not worth resoling for even $40 to have a newly soled but scuffed boots that i can't wear for work.

When going on dedicated ride days, I wear proper riding boots. These are heavy leather with a bamboo shank in the footbed, steel toe and ankle abrasion (but not articulation) protection.

I like the idea of put them out by a dumpster. I might take them into SF with me and leave them scattered about where I know the homeless will find them.

Oh, and not in a year... i go through a pair a year or just less than that.

trc.rhubarb screwed with this post 12-02-2012 at 11:16 AM
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:20 PM   #15
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 871
buy better boots aka Nicks, Wesco, Whites or depending on the look you need some Stich CBT's they will outlast you, I'm guessing that said boots arent really worn out they are just a bit too scuffed up for office attire?
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote