ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
Mr.Moose OP
Living the Adventure

Oddometer: 528
What are you wearing this winter?- Gear question

Fellow Northwet ridersÖ

Iím looking for some input on winter riding gear, specifically gloves and boots, my current gear is getting worn out and with winter( and plenty of rain) ahead of us I want to ensure I donít get wet. In gloves Iím looking something that is waterproof and has good insulation (not heated). For the boots Iím looking for something that is waterproof but is also comfortable to wear all day long. I currently have Teknicís Thunder glove and Defender boots. They both work great :great:and I would not hesitate buying either one again. However, I always like seeing if there is anything new that others are having good success with.

Thanks for the input
Mr.Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:12 PM   #2
FastMag
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
My winter boots are Danners. Made here locally, waterproof all day and can be rebuilt. Also they are comfortable to walk around in.
1974 Honda CT70
FastMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:51 PM   #3
Ratty2austin
commutercycle

Oddometer: 1,829
I have been using the Sidi Discoveries for a few years now, many miles on them and they still keep dry inside- and are comfy to walk in, and pretty protective, too! The gloves I like are either the Olympia high vis rain gloves, or the Rev-it brand gore-tex (forget the model) but I have been wanting to get hippo-hands for the bike itself, since even the best gloves seem to wick water in thru the sleeve joint- no matter how you wear them

I have been using the Revit Defender jacket, and the Legacy pants, they do pretty good at keeping the rain out by themselves (I can stay dry and warm on a 36ļ day pouring rain for a good 2-4 hours before it starts saturating the entire jacket- but for an extra boost of dryness, I throw on a BMW pro-rain 3 one piece rubber suit- condenses a little inside, but I went 16 hours straight- riding from Oakland, CA back to Seattle- it rained the entire time- and was slushing around Shasta, too I was still dry when I got home (not my hands, neck or toes, but the rest of me was )

that's my gear at this time... I plan to test some new stuff as soon as my bigger paychecks start rollin' in from my new job
<--- where all the pictures are!
Ratty2austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:00 AM   #4
Handy
Sunburnt

Oddometer: 1,666
+1 on Danners, I wear Danner Quarrys with Gore-Tex lining. They are water proof and comfortable.
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #5
grinns
Semper Fi

Oddometer: 1,322
Heated jackets make the winter swell.

grinns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:54 AM   #6
Voidrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 992
Tonight found me riding around town and found frost on the seat after a stop.

I wear pair of Oxtar (now TCX) boots. Ended up wading in a marsh just when the temp was just above freezing, kept my feet both warm and dry.

Tonight I was wearing my 'Stitch pants over a pair of regular slacks. The 'Stitch I have is a bit small on me, so I can't layer much under it...I really don't like it in cold weather. When it is really cold, or I need to go on a long ride in the cold I wear my old Firstgear HT Overpants. They do the job.

Tonight I was wearing my Hein Gericke Timbuktu jacket with a fleece under it. Works good, but in really cold weather, or long rides in cold weather I will go to the Firstgear Kilimajaro jacket I have. (But the Timbuktu has MUCH better venting for summer).

I have never found gloves better than my RevIt Fahrenheit H20. The only gloves I have owned that have been consistently waterproof, even after hours of riding in drizzle. They do a pretty good job of keeping my hands warm, but not forever. I think with some sort of handguards or hippohands I would be fine...no electric gloves needed.

When its below freezing or I have a long ride, I also throw on a Revit balaclava.

This works for me, but the biggest consideration might be "how wet is it where you are"? I am just east of the Cascades and the humidity tend to be low. Tigard and that part of the Willamette valley is damp enough that different gear may work better for you. I've been okay splitting wood in a t-shirt on a 23F day here, but felt chilled to the bone in Salem on a day when it was 54F....
Voidrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:29 AM   #7
WeeMcD
V-Strom explorer

Oddometer: 437
I have found few companies that I trust more than Aerostich. Street riding gear includes: Aero Combat Touring boots (not waterproof but have stood in creeks and feet remained dry), Aero one-piece Roadcrafter (allows me to wear work clothes or comfy layers underneath), Nolan N102 helmet with chin wind blocker and Pinlock insert, gloves include the standard no liner Aerostich Elkskin Ropers and some other winter leather gloves from an unknown brand with a hippora liner.

After years of riding, I added Oxford heated grips and an Aerostich Warmbib to my gear. I don't know why I resisted these items so long. The grips are why I can ride in winter temps with simple leather gloves.

Obviously, the Elkskin Ropers aren't even water resistant. I still find that they work fine for the drizzle that we get here in the Pacific Northwest. Downpours require a switch over to the heavier winter gloves... which are colder than the ropers because the heated grips can't power through the thick material.

"When all else fails get a bigger hammer."
WeeMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:41 AM   #8
Maddaddy
Greg

Oddometer: 1,702
Sidi Adventure boots are my choice of boot for street riding. Waterproof and unlike a pair of work boots, offer really good protection.
Klim Element Gloves. The liner is infused with the glove and makes it easy to get on and off.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:44 AM   #9
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 3,031
For me I'm a big fan of layering. I'd rather have a shell, then wear a fleece (or gerbings) for layering vs. insulated coats. My commute gear is a First Gear Killamajaro and Tourmaster Venture Pants. Both of these started out waterproof, but the coat is no longer (I've tried the wash in products a couple of times and other waterproofers etc). That gear still works fine for shorter rides (My commute is less than 30mins). If I'm going to go for a longer ride or in more rain, I have a Darien Coat and Pants set-up. I picked those up on Craigslist and both the pants and coat are a little worn, but even then are pretty waterproof. I switch over to that gear once my other gear totally gives up the ghost.

I also have a tourmaster transition 2 jacket that is supposed to be waterproof but isn't. Instead I used it for more dual sportin gear.

Recently picked up some Klim gear (Transistion) for Dual Sport riding. So far I really like it. But not very appropriate for street use (Wear armor underneat it).

For street riding, if I had to make one choice it would definately be Aerostitch gore-tex gear. If you can swing the price, and handle the astronaut "comments" of wearting a once piece, that would be the way I'd go. Underneath that I'd also wear Gerbings. Heated gear changed my winter riding comfort forever.

FWIW - My SIDI Adventures have recently begun letting water in. Maybe it's from too much "puddle blasting" while dualsport riding. Waterproof socks have helped though.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #10
Mr Dual Sport
Roamer

Oddometer: 1,465
I wear the Gaerne Balance Oiled Dual Sport Boots and have been very happy with them.

http://www.atomic-moto.com/Gaerne-Ba...oots_p_79.html
Old 12-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #11
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Dual Sport View Post
I wear the Gaerne Balance Oiled Dual Sport Boots and have been very happy with them.

http://www.atomic-moto.com/Gaerne-Ba...oots_p_79.html

Im getting those as my next boots for sure..
For now I use KLIM gore tex socks that MasterMarine suggested... they are so freaking awesome, my feet stay dry all day. I have had Sealskins before, but they hold more moisture in than keep out.

for clothes... any "waterproof" gear will do if you wear fleece underneath. When I ride trails I just wear old worn out rain gear that leaks, but the fleece underneath keeps me dry, although sometimes a little warm. When I dual sport I have a set of ARC foul weather pants and coat.. after a few hours my forearms get damp if I don't wear fleece but otherwise I stay totally dry

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...er-Jacket-2013

backpack I wear is an Overboard backpack.. It is air tight, and when I put a hole in it I used an inner tube patch kit to seal it back up
http://www.overboardusa.com/
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:02 PM   #12
Mr.Moose OP
Living the Adventure

Oddometer: 528
Great input. Thanks all for sharing. I really like the idea of the Danners.
I have long looked at a 2-piece roadcrafter but I love my suit from Firstgear. I have the TPG pants and jacket and they work so good that it been difficult to justify the cost for a stich. That said the desire is there.
Mr.Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:25 PM   #13
Squishy
Positively charged

Oddometer: 1,227
I didn't know these were a Vetter design, i remember them in other countries in the '70's & 80's.

http://www.craigvetter.com/pages/Mot...Main-page.html
Old 12-03-2012, 11:27 PM   #14
FastMag
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
I have over 60,000 miles in my stitch (2 Piece Roadcrafter) and it still looks great. Investment in a stitch is money well spent. It will last for years. During the cold commutes I also wear Gerbings Jacket liner and gloves with the dual thermostat. Nice and toasty.
1974 Honda CT70
FastMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:12 PM   #15
mcjunky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
For the real cold days I use my tourmaster winter elites, great cold weather glove and has the rain covers that store in the wrist for the wet days.
For pants it's hard to beat a decent pair of ski pants, ones with bibs are the tits and usually alot less than a m/c specific pant. My north face keep me real dry, also got an older pair of columbias I use for dirt riding in the dunes when it's real cold and wet out that I don't mind if the bottom of the legs get trashed a bit.
mcjunky is offline   Reply With Quote