Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
wiseblood OP
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,740
Motorcycle for Kids?

Hey All!

With the wife's blessing, I'm thinking of getting my 8-year-old some sort of motorized motorcycle, and I could use your help!

Here's my situation:

1. I live in New York City, so I don't have easy access to a big yard or land. I do live in a very residential area, so the streets are quiet enough for her to go around the various blocks (on the sidewalk for now, I guess). FYI, I also do not have a garage (though, I do have a private backyard, and may erect a shed).

2. We do have relatively easy access to her school playground which is mostly empty on weekend. Also, there's Flushing Meadow Park nearby, as well as at least one other medium-sized park. None of these areas would (legally) welcome a dirtbike.

3. My daughter has been riding a bicycle for about four years, and she's asked NUMEROUS times for a motorcycle. However, she's never been on one, and kids are fickle.

So, my first thought is to get an electric bike. I've been looking at the Razor MX650:

http://www.amazon.com/Razor-MX650-Ro...keywords=mx650

Here's a bad video of a few future ADV members and their probably very responsible parents watching:

So, my thoughts are this: If I get electric, it's silent, and I'm likely to be able to let her ride in all sorts of local places which would otherwise frown upon a gas bike.

Any thoughts? I'm trying to keep this within about $500 (not including gear).

Thanks!

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #2
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,737
OSET electric trials bike

Maybe more expensive then you are thinking of (even used). But electric is definently the way to go for your purposes. I also have a tiny yard. Have one for my son. We use it on a local elementary school field.

Goodluck
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:33 PM   #3
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
If it was my neighborhood I would NOT want an 8 year old (or anyone) riding a dirt bike on the sidewalk which even smaller kids, baby carriages, and adult pedestrians would also be using. But yeah, electric in a field and you are more likely to get away with it than with a combustion motor.

You live in a big city, it's not the best place for that sort of thing.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:48 AM   #4
JRP
Old guy

Oddometer: 1,469
This doesn't sound like a really good idea for an 8 year old

"New York State's Vehicle and Traffic Law defines a limited use motorcycle as a "low-speed vehicle with two or three wheels." Under this interpretation mopeds and scooters are considered limited use motorcycles which means they must adhere to motorcycle registration and licensing laws.
Mopeds and Scooters

Even though non-owners may not treat mopeds and scooters as serious bikes, the New York Department of Motor Vehicles (MVD) treats them very seriously. Mopeds and scooters, just like motorcycles, require full registration and a driver's license to operate.

To register you must visit a DMV office and bring:
  • Proof of ownership. A Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO), a bill of sale, or a previous registration that was transferred over to you will suffice as rock-solid proof.
  • Cash, check, or credit card to pay all applicable fees.
Moped and Scooter Classifications

The DMV divides mopeds and scooters into three classifications (A, B, and C) based on top speed. Each class comes with specific requirements and restrictions.
Class A reaches top speeds between 30 and 40 mph, requires a class M/MJ license, and can operate in any traffic lane.
Class B reaches top speeds between 20 and 30 mph, does not require a specific license, and can only operate in either the right hand lane or along the shoulder.
Class C reaches top speeds of 20 mph or less, does not require a specific license, and can only operate in either the right hand lane or along the shoulder.
Other Bikes

The good news is that go-karts, mini-bikes, dirt bikes, and motor-assisted bicycles do not have to be registered. But the bad news is that none of these contraptions can operate on any public street, highway, sidewalk, or parking lot."
1983 R 80 G/S
JRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:05 AM   #5
wiseblood OP
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,740
Class C: Less than 20 mph.

As far as "sidewalk versus street": Yes, nobody wants a dangerous situation. However, under 12 you are permitted to ride a bicycle on the sidewalk.

All that being said, my goal would be to wean her off that ASAP. (We already do family bike rides in the street.)

Still, I haven't decided. Another open question: What would I do for transport? My car is a Mini (which is extra-hilarious if you ever met me -- I'm 6' 11" tall. ). Any did suggestions for a super-small trailer?

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:27 AM   #6
JRP
Old guy

Oddometer: 1,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
Class C: Less than 20 mph.

As far as "sidewalk versus street": Yes, nobody wants a dangerous situation. However, under 12 you are permitted to ride a bicycle on the sidewalk.

All that being said, my goal would be to wean her off that ASAP. (We already do family bike rides in the street.)

Still, I haven't decided. Another open question: What would I do for transport? My car is a Mini (which is extra-hilarious if you ever met me -- I'm 6' 11" tall. ). Any did suggestions for a super-small trailer?
All require a license, Class A requires a motorcycle one and the other classes do not.

http://trailerinabag.com/index.html

You can get a hitch for the Mini also
1983 R 80 G/S
JRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:25 AM   #7
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,889
Being stuck in the big city and in your situation, I'd be looking for something electric for the kiddo to ride in the parks. I think you could get away with that a LOT easier than something with an IC engine.

I would not feel comfortable having her riding around in the street, even in neighborhoods, on anything resembling a motorcycle.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:38 PM   #8
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,786
I don't think it's going to be an issue.....

bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:51 PM   #9
dualsportride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
What I did for this same situation was got my son an electric bike like your talking about, but the crotch rocket type. I got a used one on craigs list for under $20 because they didn't want to replace the batteries. I then got the batteries from Battery Shark for $35 for the pair of batteries.

Battery Link
dualsportride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #10
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
I think a trailer might be too big of a hassle for you. Just ride to the riding area on your bicycle. If you keep the speed down around 10-15 or so you shouldn't have any problem with LEO at all.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:33 PM   #11
Seth650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Pissed I know you're kidding but...

Those "riders" endanger themselves and everyone around, and the dirt bikes are always stolen property when LE seizure is so risked [as well as running-hours wasted on enduro motors by riding straight, flat, cager-tarmac], so the idiots can just dump the bikes if a LE pursuit ends down a no-outlet sidestreet. But being it's NYC-Bronx where there's no clear evil, just shades of good, for certain groups , a taxpayers' mess results instead:

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20120820/hunts-point/passenger-fatal-dirt-bike-accident-suing-police-for-20-million

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber1965 View Post
I don't think it's going to be an issue.....

Seth650 is offline   Reply With Quote