User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 12:02 AM   #16
Dean74
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
tyres for an SE

i've done about 80,000 miles on an SE in the last 3 years in almost 50 different countries, and tried almost every off road option available. My vote goes to Michelin deserts. I think conti's are complete rubbish, as are karoo's. Dunlop rally raids are great, but the front is not as hard as the Michelin so it doesn't last as long. mt21's are ok, but dont last long enough.

the only downfall is instability when they're new, but it improves once they have a little wear. give me deserts anytime, sure they suck on the highway, but if you're worried about that buy a bmw and put conti's on it instead.

dean.

www.motodino.net
www.donkeyandthemule.com.au
Dean74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:38 AM   #17
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean74 View Post
i've done about 80,000 miles on an SE in the last 3 years in almost 50 different countries, and tried almost every off road option available. My vote goes to Michelin deserts.
What sort of milage do you get out of the Michelin Deserts as I have never used them.

Cheers Andi
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:45 AM   #18
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,551
For sure the Michellin Desert off road but that MT 21 does amazing on road and darn good offroad and will last a good while if you take the time to reverse it's rotation for even wear before you cup it too far also it is common to to find.

Like others and I have said the rubber compound on the karroos is way to soft and doesn't last on the pavement, you will get more out of a front but I still don't care for the compound. TKC will do much better job lasting and again on the front I would reverese the tire before the knobs cup too much, it will help the tire last much longer.

Since riding down in Latin America I have become a true believer in the MT 21 as an all around great tire that I love having on the front to let me 'feel' the front end more in the loose stuff. The only draw back is when new and hard on the front brakes or in really wet conditions, but of these improve with wear. My second choice on the front would be a tkc or the Mitas tires I found in Venezuela since the MT21 wasn't available there.

Just hearing from MG and Crashmaster with their experience on big twins is enough to convince me

As your trip goes on you will get to find out what really works for you on your new bike and your style of riding. Safe travels.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:17 AM   #19
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,585
I don't recall seeing Deserts in LA but maybe I wasn't paying attention.

Vinny sold me on the mullet set up. It's a great compromise. I'll put the mt21 up against any street tire on the tarmac, I was scraping pegs all over LA on asphalt and the tire was always well planted. I think a lot of folks are parroting memes they've heard on the internet without any real experience.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:23 AM   #20
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post

As your trip goes on you will get to find out what really works for you on your new bike and your style of riding. Safe travels.
Mate that is for sure, listening to the advice from others who have the bike and the miles/area, everything is a compromise between off road and road.

Being two up of course changes it a bit so a will try and make the best decision between wear and traction given probably 95% between Phoenix and SA will be on black top, we ran the K60 Heidy front as well on the DR's and liked them just the tread depth to start with is not huge but in 32000km we have not had one flat.

Also we are not setting any world speed records continuing our RTW trip as I want to look out the window too.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:33 AM   #21
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post
Vinny sold me on the mullet set up. It's a great compromise. I'll put the mt21 up against any street tire on the tarmac, I was scraping pegs all over LA on asphalt and the tire was always well planted..
Prolly a bit harder than we wil be riding bro

This is me on my DR650 in NZ but on motard setup NOT knobblies ...... my hat is off to you sir!!!

Old 12-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #22
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
probably 95% between Phoenix and SA will be on black top,
Andi, when you get into Colombia there are a couple of KTM dealers. One is in Bogota and they have quite a stock of parts for an SA dealer. The best KTM dealer is called Moto Shop, in Barrio Poblado, Medellin.

Frederico is the owner, speaks very good English, and can get you whatever you may need for going further south, parts, tires, whatever. And Medellin is a great area to hang out if you need to wait on tires or parts, perfect climate, great scenery.

Stripping the bags and going for a Sunday ride with those guys is quite a hoot as well.

I stopped for a week, and stayed a month and half. Colombia, motorcycle heaven.

salud, Vin

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #23
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post

I stopped for a week, and stayed a month and half. Colombia, motorcycle heaven.

salud, Vin

Amen Brother I don't think it can get better, well maybe if my Spanish was better...