ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 06:24 PM   #16
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
Mid state should suit your needs. Stay a bit below the rim, and the winters are mild. Even up on the rim, the summers are hot, just way better than in the desert!

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:10 AM   #17
redeye-az
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
payson

might look close @ payson. right in geographical middle of state. elev, 5K
hour n half from:
phoenix, south
flagstaff, north
prescott, west
show low, east
plenty of trails/fs roads avail.
no single track, quads took care of that.
been here 25 yrs, covering the area on pedal bikes, klr 650 & ktm 690, now 990.
a nice FS campground is real close to town.
advise if in area. i know a little about real estate...............
redeye-az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:24 AM   #18
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 631
The state is pretty diverse so your best bet is to travel around a bit first. I spent a lot of time in the Phx metro but up in Flag now...still ride year round. Elevation drops very quickly south of Flag and temps rise just as quickly in winter time. Sedona is always 10F warmer. If the sun is out Flag is still nice even in winter but yes, it do get chilly when the sun goes down!
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:26 AM   #19
fuggy
Canyon Explorer

Oddometer: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by redeye-az View Post
might look close @ payson.
Why would he want to move to Payson? Bunch of gray-hairs everywhere driving slow or complaining about those young whipper-snappers riding their mini-bikes and kicking up dust.

plus, no singletrack, too many rocks, and only one Star Bucks.

Look into Arizona City....cheap, quiet, scenic, and they have public utilities
Old 12-06-2012, 10:04 AM   #20
baybueller OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Thanks for the replies. 3 yrs till the move and who knows what the country will look like then. Doing due dilligence on Az.so I dont look like another A-hole from Ca.
baybueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #21
cbig
Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer: 885
Camp

Verde, Verde Valley, Prescott to Sedona (if you have the $$)
Ride, ride, ride any direction.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #22
BELSTAFF
ADV NOMAD

Oddometer: 1,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbig View Post
Verde, Verde Valley, Prescott to Sedona
Ride, ride, ride any direction.

See ,Buller I told ya, Camp Verde Valley Best of all possible worlds, not too cold, not too hot & ride,ride, ride

Arizona OHV Ambassador
BELSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:02 PM   #23
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,861
If i had to innovate a Dakar style race in the southwest Camp Verde would be my base camp and central command box.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #24
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuggy View Post
Why would he want to move to Payson? Bunch of gray-hairs everywhere driving slow or complaining about those young whipper-snappers riding their mini-bikes and kicking up dust.

plus, no singletrack, too many rocks, and only one Star Bucks.

Look into Arizona City....cheap, quiet, scenic, and they have public utilities
Arizona city? Really? Have you ever been there? If pinal county were to vomit....

I know some law enforcement down there and they hate it. I've done some work down there and I don't care for it. Mind you I never spent a bunch of time there, but really wouldn't want to.

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:09 PM   #25
long distance rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Great Info

Man do I ever wish I had checked with you guys before I moved to Kingman. What a shit hole this has turned out to be. With the prison in Golden Valley I'm convinced that a good part of the population of Kingman and the surrounding area are here because the have family living at the expense of the state. Ever get an email with pictures of pajama people and freaks at Walmart....those pictures are taken on Stockton Hill Rd here in Kingman.

The whole of the US 93 and US 95 corridors offers no decent place to live. The river is Kalifornicated so badly by retired aerospace jet boaters that you would think you're in southern california. Had I done a proper due dilligence I would be in Prescott, or at least in the general area of Prescott. Draw a circle say 25 miles around Prescott and start looking.

One thing you want to look for in Arizona is public utilities....here in Kingman we don't have many sidewalks or street lights and have 28,000 people dumping their sewage in the ground and, we get our water from local wells. I don't even want to know about the chemistry of our water....I drink water I buy at safeway. Of course we pay taxes that are so low that you will feel like you are stealing from the government.....which by the way is not a bad feeling.

I could go on and on, but until the real estate market turns around we are stuck in this shit hole.

The up side, is Arizona has good riding weather pretty much year round. A little hot in the summer but if you stay away from the river and head for the high country it's not bad at all.....and stay out of the high country in the winter.

Mike
long distance rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:01 PM   #26
Gila Monster
Carnivore

Oddometer: 117
Shut up about Prescott! Enough people here already.
2008 KTM 300 XCW
Gila Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:46 AM   #27
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,102
On change...

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybueller View Post
Thanks for the replies. 3 yrs till the move and who knows what the country will look like then. Doing due dilligence on Az.so I dont look like another A-hole from Ca.
Not as much changing as you'd think. Oustide of the Valley or Tucson, hardly anything changed since I lived there.

Like I said before, we lived in Scottsdale in the 80's. My youngest son was born there and when he selected college, it was AZ State in Tempe. So we got to know the area all over again.

That whole 5k' foot middle band of the state is probably going to be attractive to you. Winters are mild. You get a little snow, and the next day it's blue and 70. Personally I liked the desert, though. I never minded the heat if it was under 107. Soft resort air most of the time. Wonderful evenings.

Course, I live in Boston now, so the desert is looking pretty heavenly in December.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:01 AM   #28
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer: 2,465
Tucson is actually a wonderful place if it weren't for the fact that it is run by a whole lot of 1960's hippies who either don't have a clue about running a big city or want it to stay just like it was in 1966 when they got here. The other faction is the Hispanic crowd who really believe Arizona should still be a part of Mexico...and they are serious. Viva Baja Arizona!
Old 12-07-2012, 07:50 AM   #29
long distance rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
I lived in Tucson in the mid 70's, used to go shooting with my neighbor who was a DEA agent in town. He told me that in 20 years of law enforcement he had only been in situations three times where shots were fired, they had all three been since arriving in Tucson with the DEA.....back then it was a fairly active drug area....might still be. Anyway, my point is the desert that close to the border can be iffy.

Had another friend that was a game warden with the state. I rode with him for a day to get a feel for what game wardens do for a living. He made it clear that at night, if you see activity in the desert....go ahead and drive back to town....it's nothing you want to get involved with....you won't want to risk your life for a few bales of weed. That's what the DEA guys and their automatic weapons are for......

Of course that was almost 40 years ago, probably nothing but old retired folks there now enjoying the sun and working on the tan's......

You might notice that I retired to the north end of the state, just a little too far north....

Mike
long distance rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:11 AM   #30
ned37
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Verde, Verde Valley, Prescott to Sedona
sorry, but the verde valley proper is closed to californians, however, they are still accepted in sedona as long as they stay there
'01 Suzuki DRZ400S
Cottonwood, AZ
ned37 is offline   Reply With Quote