User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2012, 11:41 PM   #1
szamor OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Adventure routes to Taranaki

Hi Inmates, I'm planning on attending the 2013 Anzac Day rally in Te Hora. I'll be travelling from Canterbury to Taranaki on my KTM 990 and leave the Buell at home. Can you reccommend any good all weather adventure routes that I should be looking at including on my travelles north or returning south.
szamor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:56 PM   #2
Steve in NZ
scared/cheap

Oddometer: 1,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by szamor View Post
Hi Inmates, I'm planning on attending the 2013 Anzac Day rally in Te Hora. I'll be travelling from Canterbury to Taranaki on my KTM 990 and leave the Buell at home. Can you reccommend any good all weather adventure routes that I should be looking at including on my travelles north or returning south.
bring some good knobblies. That pappa clay is fun fun shite.

bike = the purple pig
Steve in NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #3
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,267
You mean Tahora? There's not much directly on the way there from the south but lots of interesting backroads out either side. Head up the Whanganui River road then loop back down, or head out to New Plymouth then back in via Kiwi Rd & Moki Rd.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
szamor OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz View Post
You mean Tahora? There's not much directly on the way there from the south but lots of interesting backroads out either side. Head up the Whanganui River road then loop back down, or head out to New Plymouth then back in via Kiwi Rd & Moki Rd.

Cheers
Clint
Yes Clint it is Tahora, thanks for the listed roads, that's the sort of reccommendations I'm after. I can highlight them on my Topo maps then plan an interesting route up to the rally, maybe a sight seeing trip around and then another route home. I should have a few days heading up to the rally and another couple heading home, for a quick explore around.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:47 PM   #5
Micawberism
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
I have good news and bad news for you, the road from Wellington to Wanganui is the most boring road for motorcycles in NZ. The good news is, its no worse going the other way
When you get to Wanganui (or fonganewy depending on what tribe you is) head up Papaiti Rd, it goes through a few name changes along the way but its an awesome gravel loop that comes out at Kia Iwi. It will add about 1 to 1 1/2hrs to your trip.
depending on fuel requirements you can travel Taranaki from Mokoia in the south to Urenui in the north without setting foot on S/wy 3. If you need fuel best to go straight to Stratford then head out the forgotten world highway. When making your plans be aware there is no "cheap" fuel between Stratford and Taumaranui. Ask the right people, you will get fuel. be prepared to loose at least one arm and maybe a leg for its purchase.
Heaps of nice loops off S/wy 43 Head up Mangaotuku Rd and come out Brewer Rd, then up Mohakau Rd and onto Mangaoapa Rd to Purangi. Junction Rd to Pohokura and out to Whangamomona. Dont tackle Whangamomona Rd alone unless your good mate It is Papa, nuff said.
Another nice loop is Kohuritahi Rd around to Whitianga Rd.
Enuff for you or you want more
Micawberism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:09 AM   #6
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,011
Why do the Wellington / Taranaki 5 hrs of boredom road at all? It's far more interesting to go up through the central part of the Island, & then go down into the Naki from Tauamaranui. That way you can also take in the 42nd Traverse, & there are a heap of more interesting road options, starting from Pohangina & going north, or across into Turakina Valley Rd. And you potentially get to ride the Forgotten Highway if you want to go to Stratford, or loop out through one of the other roads just before Whangamomona.

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:07 PM   #7
Voltaire
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
Doing the Forgotten Highway this weekend.... staying in the campground at Whangamomana ( the others are springing for the Hotel)
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:50 PM   #8
szamor OP
Adventurer

Thanks very much for the reccommendations guys, this gives me some places to start with when planning for my trip, on the topo maps. It looks as though I might have to take even more days off to make an extended exploration trip. I have anothe mate (950 se) who will proably join me now, for the trip. It's aways safer (someone to help pull your bike out off the bog) and more enjoyable (someone to remind you, how you they fell off in the bog) to share these trips with. We have both enjoyed many adventure trips around the south island, but only a few north island trips. I hope the 990 adventure will allow me to explore further afield faster than the EXC. Thanks Again Mike.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:04 AM   #9
Micawberism
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
Doing the Forgotten Highway this weekend.... staying in the campground at Whangamomana ( the others are springing for the Hotel)
You will be pleased to know its been raining all day in the Tangarakau Apart from a few potholes the surface is good as!! Couple of road bikes went through today while I was out there so big ups to them for doing it on a day like today Lots of stock on the road out there at present, (the regulars who graze the road either side of the tunnel). Pub is nice (but pricey ). tents is good. Have fun
Micawberism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:40 AM   #10
Voltaire
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micawberism View Post
You will be pleased to know its been raining all day in the Tangarakau Apart from a few potholes the surface is good as!! Couple of road bikes went through today while I was out there so big ups to them for doing it on a day like today Lots of stock on the road out there at present, (the regulars who graze the road either side of the tunnel). Pub is nice (but pricey ). tents is good. Have fun
Cheers for the heads up, weather looks pretty average..... Get my new rear 19" fitted tomorrow and good to go.
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote