ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2012, 09:00 AM   #1
redeye-az OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
corvallis info request

my wife & i are planning a move to corvallis in 2013' or 14' and
have a few ?'s for anyone out there that lives & knows the area.
being a college town it seems like there is planty to do and seeing as how we are both artists i think that scene is pretty good also ? real estate availablity and values?
i roll a KTM 990 and wondered where closest ktm dealer is and/or is there a good tech in the area?
how is the riding? do you have to put your bike away for the winter?
living in AZ gets you kinda spoiled some time as i can ride most anytime but i'm kind of getting tired of hot, dry & dusty,
time for a change.
any/all replies/info appreciated.
thanks
redeye-az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:49 AM   #2
oldmonkeybut
Digital Emigrant

Oddometer: 2,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by redeye-az View Post
my wife & i are planning a move to corvallis in 2013' or 14' and
have a few ?'s for anyone out there that lives & knows the area.
being a college town it seems like there is planty to do and seeing as how we are both artists i think that scene is pretty good also ? real estate availablity and values?
i roll a KTM 990 and wondered where closest ktm dealer is and/or is there a good tech in the area?
how is the riding? do you have to put your bike away for the winter?
living in AZ gets you kinda spoiled some time as i can ride most anytime but i'm kind of getting tired of hot, dry & dusty,
time for a change.
any/all replies/info appreciated.
thanks
Corvallis has a decent Artsy scene and it isn't far from Eugene or Portland which both have great Art scenes. There is a very good Craft Beer scene around here. Your also close to the coast. There is plenty of Real Estate available but it isn't cheap. The closest KTM Dealer is just to the east in Tangent (G&G Cycle). The next one would be KTM Country in Eugene. KTM is popular here and there is good support available. We don't put bikes away for any season here. Buy good waterproof gear and go for it. There are a few Icy days that suck to ride in but the rest is doable. Dust won't be a problem. If you get homesick and need a dust fix just head East and you will find it. I have relatives in Corvallis and they love it. I live about 45 minutes South West of there.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:52 AM   #3
redeye-az OP
Studly Adventurer

thanks. i believe in good gear. i have all aerostitch.
is the west side of corvallis preffered or a good side o town?
anyone have any real estate agent contacts?
is there an ERA brokerage there?
Old 12-02-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
Tosh Togo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,594
Quote:
thanks. i believe in good gear. i have all aerostitch.
is the west side of corvallis preffered or a good side o town?
anyone have any real estate agent contacts?
is there an ERA brokerage there?
The further EAST you go, the more you'll find affordable housing prices. The Cornvallis area is spendier due to OSU being the biggest show in town. West Corvallis is "nice", but you'll pay a premium unless you go a few miles farther west so you're in Philomath. The only upside is that you're closer to town... but traffic blows harder the closer you are.

Any "game-day" event at OSU results in gridlock that's unavoidable without a large detour.

If you want more house for a lot less $, look somewhere out of town.

Riding-wise, just about any place you find in either Linn or Benton county will have great riding at your doorstep.
Tosh Togo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:32 AM   #5
redeye-az OP
Studly Adventurer

thanks TT.
i'm a pedal bike rider also and plan on doing some of that, specially if traffic a problem.
i understand that's a pedal bike friendly area also ?
real estate agent connections ?
Old 12-02-2012, 11:45 AM   #6
Tosh Togo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,594
Quote:
thanks TT.
i'm a pedal bike rider also and plan on doing some of that, specially if traffic a problem.
i understand that's a pedal bike friendly area also ?
real estate agent connections ?
Can't help you with realtors, but it's definitely a good place for bicycles.

http://www.traillink.com/trail/philo...-use-path.aspx

There's a great MTB area on the north edge of town- http://corvallismountainbiking.blogspot.com/

http://youtu.be/kTWTgazYlfI

http://democratherald.com/news/local...a4bcf887a.html

http://rideoregonride.com/resources/.../cycling-maps/
Tosh Togo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #7
imprezagm4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
I just moved here this past summer from Bend, my wife got a job at OSU and I'm going back to school (yipee)... We like it well enough. Its got a nice small town feel in the summer when all the kids are gone. The West side of town is SPENDY! We live on the far West side of town, nearly in Philomath and it is insane! Nice, but massively overpriced.

A little too "artsy" for us though, looking forward to getting back on the East side of the cascades in a year or two. As far as the Willamette valley goes though, I think it is one of, if not the best place to live. GO BEAVS!
imprezagm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:40 PM   #8
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,226
Housing Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosh Togo View Post
The further EAST you go, the more you'll find affordable housing prices. The Cornvallis area is spendier due to OSU being the biggest show in town. West Corvallis is "nice", but you'll pay a premium unless you go a few miles farther west so you're in Philomath. The only upside is that you're closer to town... but traffic blows harder the closer you are.

Any "game-day" event at OSU results in gridlock that's unavoidable without a large detour.

If you want more house for a lot less $, look somewhere out of town.

Riding-wise, just about any place you find in either Linn or Benton county will have great riding at your doorstep.
What he said! I work in Corvallis and commute on the DR650 year round... except on black ice days.

Yes, the further east from Corvallis the housing prices seem to go down. Albany, Lebanon and Brownsville are about 1/2 hour drive away and prices are much less than Corvallis. Albany is 15 miles and Lebanon is 20 miles. Hwy 34 gets quite hectic traffic, especially on any game day at OSU, and ticket prices double in the "safety corridor". Have been commuting from Lebanon to Corvallis for about 20 years.

Several friends work at OSU and they talk about the lower tuition if you work there. Something to check.

Dave
smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:19 PM   #9
Belgian Waffles
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 874
Student myself and I can confirm most of what's been said. I rent so can't tell you much about the real estate, but what's been said seems accurate enough.

Welcome.

Current: 1989 Honda Transalp, 2006 Scorpa TY125F trials
Past: 1999 KLR 650, 1990 Tengai 650
Belgian Waffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:09 PM   #10
redeye-az OP
Studly Adventurer

thanks

thanks to all the replys.
it is as i was hoping for.
appreciate other/more opinions......

anybody interested in relocating to central arizona ?
Old 12-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #11
orforester
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Like Smilin I live in Lebanon, and commuted to Corvallis for work, highway is nice, straight and no problem, game day is bad, and rush hour is 4:45 to 5:30, mornings are never bad. Weather is a little colder in Corvallis (my opinion), as opposed to Lebanon.

As far as Bicycles, the Santiam Spokes club http://www.santiamspokes.org/ is a active group, around the valley. Most of them are Alb/Leb folks, but lots of rides in Corvallis, IMO mostly for college crowd.

There is a small, but active group of riders in Corvallis, meet every Saturday for coffee and Wed (second or third?)
http://www.ride44.com/forum/ They do alot of Eugene and Corvallis rides.

I think Lebanon is the center of the best rides in the middle valley. No traffic to contend with and 15 miles of twisty back roads and you are on Highway 20 to Sisters, the best twiusty road in the valley, winter is nice, but need raingear, and wathc out for icey patches and wet leaves. You will love it. I would live in Corvallis, but they refuse to have a Wal-Mart and I am way to red neck for them!! LOL
orforester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:47 AM   #12
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,429
I haven't lived there but I have visited (when brothers attended college there) and I passed through a lot when I lived in Eugene and Newport. I also hunted some of the coastal hill area near there.

IMO Corvallis would be a great place to live if you don't need a job or you have a secure job there (certainly wouldn't want to work for HP right now or in the near future for that matter). Good small town feel with some of the niceties of a city (but not many) - but then I live in the boonies and prefer it that way.

Relatively convenient to Salem, somewhat convenient to Eugene or Portland - in short, it isn't a long trek to get into a more metro area (not that Salem is "metro", but it has a lot more than Corvallis does if you need "city things").

Convenient to get out to the coast if you are into coast things, like fishing or boating and such.

The real appeal to me is that Corvallis probably won't grow much and there is some very nice rural and somewhat "wilderness" areas close enough that if you are into being out in that then it is convenient. Don't know about real estate. Besides the Uni there isn't much there to drive real estate up - IMO.

Weather is typical Oregon - wet this time of year, but not really any worse than anywhere else in the Valley.

All around I would recommend Corvallis - nice place to live if you can make a living there or are retired. If you need a job and don't have one there, make sure you get one first.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:44 PM   #13
redeye-az OP
Studly Adventurer

thanks again

than again ya'll....like previously mentioned,
it sounds like what we had hoped for and can work with it.
linda is a high fire stomeware potter and i am a wood artisan.
plus we are old enough to be on the dole (SS), so jobs aren't an issue.
the area should be more artsey fartsey than where we are.
but the weather here is very predictable (mostly sunny & warm) and great.

uh, in case you know anybody who wants to relocate here.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:03 PM   #14
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,884
Hi, I'm your closest KTM tech to Corvallis. I'd recommend you look in Linn Co. for the best real estate for the money. There is a lot available now because of the economy. Taxes are lower too. It's a better place for retiree's. There are a lot of small communities, like mine, that are great places to live and not far from everything and anything else.

I don't know of any Estate Agents, frankly I don't trust them. They are good if you must buy quickly and remotely. Best to come and stay in the area to check it out for yourself first. There is a lot of on-line resources now that make Estate Agents worth less than before.

For riding the Coast Range is great. The roads are ancient. The area from Hwy 20 down to Hwy 38 is the best for all types of cycling. Corvallis is a good city to be close to, Eugene is too, but it costs a lot to be in Benton or Lane Co.

Look me up if you are in the area.