ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 08:28 AM   #1
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams
 
levain's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 6,884
Too old to ride a dirt bike?

Never! At 42, my plan is to behave younger and younger every year

I ride on easy dirt roads all the time, then I find myself places I shouldn't be. I fall off, break things, turn my heavy bike into a submarine, then swear off it until I do it again

I've never hurt anything other than a few clutch levers and my pride. I figure its time to do it right. This year, I'd like to buy a gas powered mountain bike and teach myself to ride over rocks so I stop embarrassing myself. My plan is to buy a cheap, light bike that I can beat up then just throw it away and move into something else. At the least, I'd like to feel more confident on my heavy bike when hitting something dirty & slippery.

Soo, I'm looking for recommendations on a cheap, light street legal bike. I don't want much of an investment, but it'd be great if it was reliable enough to take on a weekend jaunt somewhere.

Wr250R seems perfect for my needs, but I can't find any cheap ones. Not sure how long they've been around. I'm thinking $2K max to purchase a bike. Old is fine by me.

If anyone wants to hand something down to a fellow southern new englander with some, uhh, pedigree, pm details!
__________________
Click Here!
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 XC
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:44 AM   #2
Speedo66
Transient
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Cin City, OH
Oddometer: 6,119
Yamaha XT225 is a good beginner bike. Enough power to do highway speeds, capable enough off road, 238lbs. dry. Low enough not to be intimidating, and usually found for less than $2K. I'm still riding mine at your age plus 20 something.

Same as above for a Kaw Super Sherpa.
__________________
Oh I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused-E.Costello
'01 Kawasaki W650, '05 Yamaha XT225



Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:46 AM   #3
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: madera california
Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Never! At 42, my plan is to behave younger and younger every year

I ride on easy dirt roads all the time, then I find myself places I shouldn't be. I fall off, break things, turn my heavy bike into a submarine, then swear off it until I do it again

I've never hurt anything other than a few clutch levers and my pride. I figure its time to do it right. This year, I'd like to buy a gas powered mountain bike and teach myself to ride over rocks so I stop embarrassing myself. My plan is to buy a cheap, light bike that I can beat up then just throw it away and move into something else. At the least, I'd like to feel more confident on my heavy bike when hitting something dirty & slippery.

Soo, I'm looking for recommendations on a cheap, light street legal bike. I don't want much of an investment, but it'd be great if it was reliable enough to take on a weekend jaunt somewhere.

Wr250R seems perfect for my needs, but I can't find any cheap ones. Not sure how long they've been around. I'm thinking $2K max to purchase a bike. Old is fine by me.

If anyone wants to hand something down to a fellow southern new englander with some, uhh, pedigree, pm details!
how about an old xr 250, reliable aircooled six speed.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:00 AM   #4
pjturbo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Des Moines, WA
Oddometer: 412
2nd. on the used XT225. I'm 72 and ride the piss out of mine. Though, Black Bear Pass was where most of the piss left.

Old Phil
pjturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #5
bomber1965
Duel
 
bomber1965's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Rhode Island
Oddometer: 2,776
http://newlondon.craigslist.org/mcy/3400138573.html


SUZUKI DR 350 DUAL SPORT - $1800 (PUTNAM)

EXCELLENT COMMUTER. SUPER CLEAN DR 350. BIKE HAS BEEN BABIED ALL IT'S LIFE. MILAGE 6,028. NEW TIRES. ELECTRIC START. CURRENT CT REG.
ALL MANUALS AND FENDER BAG. FEMALE OWNED.SERIOUS INQUIRIES ONLY. CASH. 860-942-1021


bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
bomber1965
Duel
 
bomber1965's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Rhode Island
Oddometer: 2,776
http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/mcy/3445502476.html

Yamaha XT225 Dual Sport - $2500 (Newton, MA)


2003 Yamaha XT225 Dual Sport

I have a very clean 2003 Yamaha XT225 Dual Sport motorcycle for sale that comes with the owners repair manual, tools and it has an electric start, horn,signals,lights.

There is only 2000 miles on the bike.

I don't think there is a blemish or scratch on this beauty.

This great bike is street ready!

Great for commuting. A far better choice than a scooter in my opinion. It is very comfortable to operate.

It has a very high MPG.

The colors and lights make it very visible.

I have installed a billet rack on it for carrying your stuff.

This bike will go from the street to the trails very nicely. Plenty of power to move you up hill and over rough terrain.

I am the only owner of this bike. I bought new from a local dealer for my children. They never had an interest in motorcycles like I do. And I never pushed it on them. So the bike has had very little riding time.

I'm only asking 2,500 for this gem. This is one of those deals that you rarely find.



bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:42 AM   #7
firecrotch
Gnarly Adventurer
 
firecrotch's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Twin Peaks, Wa
Oddometer: 431
fyi to part of your title..I ride with a 74 old and cant even keep him in sight. Age is all in the mind.
firecrotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:10 AM   #8
tdvt
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: NEK Vermont
Oddometer: 195
The XT is a good suggestion as is the XR or an older XL. I'm 54 & bought a Yamaha TTR250 last spring after not riding for a while & we both made it through the summer/fall unscathed!

Mine's a kind of more dirt version of the XT & with a few things added I was able to get it plated here in Vermont. They come up for sale once in a while, usually under 2K & sometimes already street legal.
tdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #9
tdvt
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: NEK Vermont
Oddometer: 195
2002 Suzuki DRZ400S

This just came up here in the Flea Market this afternoon.

2002 Suzuki DRZ400S Richmond, VA $1800

Looks pretty nice, includes extras & price is in your ball park. A bit of a drive though.
tdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:48 AM   #10
redprimo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: central coast of California
Oddometer: 324
when you wrote that you wanted to buy a gas powered mountian bike so you could learn how to ride over rocks, I thought you meant something like this: http://www.motopeds.com/
redprimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:33 PM   #11
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams
 
levain's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 6,884
great start so far! That Motoped is pretty awesome. Even has peddles
__________________
Click Here!
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 XC
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:15 PM   #12
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams
 
levain's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 6,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber1965 View Post
http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/mcy/3445502476.html

Yamaha XT225 Dual Sport - $2500 (Newton, MA)


2003 Yamaha XT225 Dual Sport

I have a very clean 2003 Yamaha XT225 Dual Sport motorcycle for sale that comes with the owners repair manual, tools and it has an electric start, horn,signals,lights.

There is only 2000 miles on the bike.

I don't think there is a blemish or scratch on this beauty.

This great bike is street ready!

Great for commuting. A far better choice than a scooter in my opinion. It is very comfortable to operate.

It has a very high MPG.

The colors and lights make it very visible.

I have installed a billet rack on it for carrying your stuff.

This bike will go from the street to the trails very nicely. Plenty of power to move you up hill and over rough terrain.

I am the only owner of this bike. I bought new from a local dealer for my children. They never had an interest in motorcycles like I do. And I never pushed it on them. So the bike has had very little riding time.

I'm only asking 2,500 for this gem. This is one of those deals that you rarely find.



Bomber, your bike would never be the same
__________________
Click Here!
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 XC
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:17 PM   #13
creaky
Gnarly Adventurer
 
creaky's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Indiana
Oddometer: 174
'96 or later XR250, great trail bike, sledge hammer reliable, easy to make street legal.
__________________
'98 BMW F650
'92 Honda 750 Nighthawk
'85 Honda VF500F Interceptor
'96 XR400
"Once you go over the hill, you start picking up speed!"
creaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #14
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams
 
levain's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 6,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by creaky View Post
'96 or later XR250, great trail bike, sledge hammer reliable, easy to make street legal.
Hmmmmmm
__________________
Click Here!
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 XC
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #15
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: madera california
Oddometer: 4,809
another nice ride would be the yamaha tw200. the only problem is they are so stable and easy to ride offroad it probably wont help you when you get the bigger bike. the good thing is you might just keep the tw for your main ride.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014