Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2014, 05:16 PM   #1
Mud$hooter OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
The ATLAS Throttle Lock is Here! We are open for preorders.

The ATLAS Throttle Lock Was Successfully Crowd Funded October 22nd, 2014!

The ATLAS Throttle Lock is now available for preorder at www.ATLASthrottlelock.com
The preorder price is $105. Once the first run of units has been assembled, the price will be $135. The estimated delivery date is May/June, 2015.

Please help spread the word. I have used ADVrider to fix and farkle my bike, now I finally have something to offer to the community.

All information about the ATLAS Throttle Lock is posted on our website, www.atlasthrottlelock.com and on our Kickstarter page.

If you have any question, look through the FAQs on the Kickstarter page. If you still have questions, please post right here on ADVrider!

Here's a video of me using the ATLAS prototype on my KTM 640 Adv: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGIFN5pbgig

These photos are of the ATLAS prototype. We have updated the clamp since these photos were taken. More on this below.

I started developing the ATLAS while I was on an around the world motorcycle trip. I literally searched everywhere for a throttle lock like the ATLAS, but never found exactly what I wanted. This is why the ATLAS was born.

ATLAS stands for Adventure Touring Leaves All Signs

Our logo will be directly machined into the button, with a black oxide coating, cut away to expose clean, bright stainless steel. If you have ridden the roads in Europe, our logo should look familiar. It's the sign you'll see each time you exit a village and enter a stretch of road where there's no speeding restrictions.

The ATLAS will be made of 304 stainless steel with a black oxide coating. The side of the body piece, which faces the throttle housing, will be made of an embossed spring steel. The majority of the unit will be made of steel.

The prototype was made of 6061 Aluminum and Delrin. You can see this in some of the photos.

The ATLAS uses a spring steel friction stopper to "lock" your throttle. Because the ATLAS is clamped to your throttle's plastic sleeve, it will rotate perfectly with your hand.

Once you reach a good cruising speed, the button will be right next to your thumb. Press the button in, like a retractable pen, and the friction stopper will press against your throttle housing. This holds your throttle in place, unless you override the ATLAS by grabbing your throttle and rotating.

Press the button one more time and it disengages. It is so simple.

The clamp is a 100% proprietary design. The inner wall is thinner than 2 bank cards, serrated to grip your throttle sleeve and notched in a way to fit on nearly every motorcycle on the market. (We are currently working on a list of motorcycles which the ATLAS works with, but for the meantime, we are offering a 100% money back guarantee that it will fit on your motorcycle, or your money back. We also pay shipping both ways.)

The clamp also has a band of metal running along the outer edge of the inner wall. This is to reinforce the wall and provide a second point of contact for clamping the ATLAS to plastic grips with a thick inner flange. This band of metal has been updated and narrowed even farther than what you currently see in these photos.

The ATLAS was also design to fit on all diameters of handlebars, from 7/8" to just a little larger than 1-1/4". With an allen bolt, nyloc nut and an ultra slim design, your ATLAS will look like an OEM part.

Installation takes just 2 minutes or less. You don't need to remove anything from your motorcycle to install the ATLAS. One side of the ATLAS' clamp is hinged and has an easy disconnect, while the other side of the clamp has bolt holes. The prototype has only one side of the hinge covered. The updated design will cover both sides of the hinge.

-David

2006 KTM 640 ADV - Currently in San Diego

Mud$hooter screwed with this post 11-23-2014 at 06:44 PM
Mud$hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 05:29 PM   #2
armourbl
Adventure Life

Oddometer: 568
Interesting. This is the closest design to a unit my Dad had on his bike back in the early 80's that I've seen on the market. I've always wondered why others designed their locks differently. I'm not really much of a throttle lock believer, but I can appreciate what you are doing.

ben
Old 10-04-2014, 05:40 PM   #3
devans101
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Looks awesome! I'm in. Best of luck. Dave
devans101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 01:59 PM   #4
Mud$hooter OP
Adventurer

Thanks devans101 and armourbl.

So armourbl, do you have any idea what your dad's throttle lock was called? Was it the vista cruise? Those are in a similar location but with a push lever and they cover a portion of the grip.

Thanks again devans101! We are getting closer to our goal. If you have any riding groups or other forums you are a part of, please help spread the word!

-David

Old 10-05-2014, 04:33 PM   #5
squiffynimrod
maximum shrinkage

Oddometer: 1,231
I posted this question in the Gspot thread, hope you will see it here.
About the kickstarter....

"That's a great looking throttle lock, and I would have probably backed you, but $45 US$$ to ship to Canada prevents me from playing. Any alternative?"
Old 10-05-2014, 04:57 PM   #6
Mud$hooter OP
Adventurer

Hey squiffynimrod, thanks for asking. Others have probably seen this but have disappeared into the aether without saying anything.

Here's the situation. Kickstarter only gives me one option for Int'l shipping, which is a bummer because that cost will have to cover people from Argentina to Kazakstan.

What this means for our friends across the northern boarder is that shipping is a little steep. But remember, customs can and will charge duty and other import fees. So the $45 is to pay for shipping with tracking and insurance, and custom fees. We have had many Canadians order the ATLAS and pay the $45 because $114 is still cheaper than $135.

The best option is to find an inmate who lives in the US to receive your ATLAS, then they could forward it to you as a "gift" or "used part" to avoid any import fees.

I'm going to copy and paste this reply in your Gspot post.

Let me know what you think. It's really a problem with Kickstarters Int'l shipping settings.

-David

Old 10-05-2014, 05:32 PM   #7
squiffynimrod
maximum shrinkage

Oddometer: 1,231
Thanks for the reply. Anyone want to help a Canuck out?
Old 10-05-2014, 06:13 PM   #8
Wings
marmaduked

Oddometer: 14,151
I'm almost ready to bite...would the Atlas interfere with the cable from heated grips?

And then there's the FaceBook issue...I don't have nor do I want a FB account, but it looks like the only way to purchase?? I really hope I'm just dumber than the machine again and didn't see the right spot

Smugmug coupon code: CKZQ0vLPlmLFw
Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:24 PM   #9
Mud$hooter OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
I'm almost ready to bite...would the Atlas interfere with the cable from heated grips?

And then there's the FaceBook issue...I don't have nor do I want a FB account, but it looks like the only way to purchase?? I really hope I'm just dumber than the machine again and didn't see the right spot
Yes, the ATLAS does fit on bikes with heated grips.

Great question, I'll add it to the FAQs. I have heated grips on my bike and I just added a photo of another bike with heated grips on my Kickstarter page.

And for the Facebook issue, you can sign up with your email. It's below the Facebook login section.

Here's a photo of where you will add your info.

Old 10-05-2014, 06:34 PM   #10
Vince
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
I had a Visa Cruiser,non model specific one on my Laverda years ago,I now use a throttle rocker.The Visa was a good gadget but was a bit complicated to fit.Yours looks a lot simpler to fit.Good luck to you,Well worth doing especially if your bike has a heavy throttle action.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:55 PM   #11
Wings
marmaduked

Oddometer: 14,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud$hooter View Post
Yes, the ATLAS does fit on bikes with heated grips.

Great question, I'll add it to the FAQs. I have heated grips on my bike and I just added a photo of another bike with heated grips on my Kickstarter page.

And for the Facebook issue, you can sign up with your email. It's below the Facebook login section.

Here's a photo of where you will add your info.

In!

D'Oh, I knew it-it was the gremlins, honest Thanks for the quick reply

Looks great and I love the kickstarter idea, it's great. Hope it comes through, Good Luck!

ps: fond memories of Ljubljana, growing up we spent the summers exploring the coast line & mountains of Croatia before the war...

Smugmug coupon code: CKZQ0vLPlmLFw
Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:35 PM   #12
Mud$hooter OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince View Post
I had a Visa Cruiser,non model specific one on my Laverda years ago,I now use a throttle rocker.The Visa was a good gadget but was a bit complicated to fit.Yours looks a lot simpler to fit.Good luck to you,Well worth doing especially if your bike has a heavy throttle action.
Thanks Vince! Yeah, I have used the throttle rocker also. I took it on a 1 month ride around the western states and took it off my grip after the first few days. It's nice that they are so inexpensive, but having all that extra stuff on my grip was distracting me while riding and getting in the way when I was standing up off-roading.

If you want a real throttle lock, we are getting low on the $69 offer. Pretty soon it will jump up to $79... Just saying.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:09 PM   #13
sonoran
null device

Oddometer: 22,975
In.
sonoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:05 AM   #14
Mud$hooter OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoran View Post
In.
Thank you for the support Sonoran! We are getting closer. If you know of any other inmates who are looking for a throttle lock solution, please send them this way.

-David

Old 10-06-2014, 10:17 AM   #15
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Looks good, just one observation.

Are you going to use a nylock nut on the screw when it goes into production?

Cheers