Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #226
byways OP
byways

Oddometer: 2,117
I'll be in the front row for this one .... with my seat belt fastened!
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:36 AM   #227
travatron
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
This looks like an amazing ride, one I'd very much like to try once I get my hands on that Tiger XC I've been eyeing (2400 miles on a CRF450X doesn't sound like a great time!)

All I can think looking at these pictures is about how amazing it would be to CLIMB some of these places! Have you ever seen rock climbers while out there? A combo moto/climbing trip of this magnitude... I could die happy (just hopefully not on that trip ).

Made some adjustments with my amazing MS Paint skills. Looks better now, IMO.

travatron screwed with this post 12-04-2013 at 08:44 AM
travatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:54 AM   #228
byways OP
byways

Travatron, there were quite a number of climbers and even base jumpers in vicinity of my photo, a coupla posts above. (As a former climber, boulderer and skydiver, I do like to watch and admire those folks.) Some were even rappelling off a large arch we hiked to, Corona Arch.

Many new campsites are being dozed out in the area as well, and they look very appealing. I knew I should've taken more photos ...

byways screwed with this post 12-04-2013 at 03:51 PM
Old 12-04-2013, 09:33 AM   #229
TxTiger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Tony,
A riding buddy and I have this trip planned for the first weekend in Sept 2014. There are only two of us so far, but we are bringing this up with other riders and I expect we'll have between 4 to 6 by the planned date. We also plan on someone driving a support vehicle to carry stuff we prefer not to have on the motorcycles. Given that we are 10 months away, when would be the best time to purchase the route? I want to have plenty of time to study the route so as to read about some of the historical significance that Dockingpilot discussed so well in his RR.

I have purchased some of Andrew's (one of the group that set a new speed record for this route) close-out items that you've linked to, and he was extremely complimentary about your services. He said you were a great host and provided constant support as needed. He also said it was one of the best rides of his life.

At 64 yrs old, I've never done a dual sport ride and camped, but I'm currently getting my DRZ 400 outfitted for dual sport trips and will do a few rides prior to this trip. We will trailer our bikes from Texas to Colorado and start the ride from there. I'm really excited about this ride even though it's 10 months away. I look forward to discussing this with you.
TxTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:22 AM   #230
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,217
Tony is the man fellas. First class operation.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk Pro

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:41 AM   #231
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 767
Hummmmmmm.....

This is sound fantastic, this can be my birthday present
Scubalong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:14 AM   #232
TxTiger
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Tony is the man fellas. First class operation.

DP, my great great granddad and his father-in-law died in Panama coming back from the California gold rush. I always wondered why they were in Panama. After reading your 2010 Forever West RR I found out as you explained the various ways people could get there.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #233
byways OP
byways

TxTiger, I'm excited for you! Contact me anytime with questions, perhaps herein so others can benefit as well.

I'm especially glad you got input from a veteran of the route. Each of the growing number of ride reports (and riders I communicate with privately) provides uniquely instructive and useful insights. And thanks to them and the feedback I receive, the route just keeps getting better.

Solo riders ... group riders ... custom-routing clients ... riders with support vehicles (below, a group from Germany) ... sight-seeing slowpokes ... speed junkies ... H.o.W. accommodated them all last season. And each came away with something of value to share with you.

To respond to your primary question, TxTiger ... Acquiring early all of the resources for H.o.W. -- the track file, the detailed explanatory memo, access to me and others who can help -- brings substantial advantages.

You'll be able to become familiar with the route, the landscapes, and the resources that will be available to you before departure, and as you travel.

You don't have to worry about having out-of-date resources, for I work continually to be sure H.o.W. travelers always have the latest information I have -- including the latest track-file content, route updates, wildfire conditions, road conditions, weather forecasts, etc. -- both prior to departure and as they travel.

It's important to note that there have been major upgrades in the years since Dockingpilot's eloquent report of what really was a "first draft" of the basic route.

In fact, my continuing research and explorations have produced important upgrades even in the last few months.

Among the enhancements:

-- major new routing in Wyoming, Colorado, Utah and Nevada;

-- no private-land issues;

-- less county gravel, less pavement, far more native two-track trails;

-- many more campsites; and ...

-- expansion of H.o.W.'s network of quality, affordable and convenient lodges and guest ranches for those who prefer not to camp.

The single most Important upgrade since D.P.'s 2010 trip is my development of intersecting "sub-loops" to the main, full loop.

They conveniently accommodate travelers with shorter itineraries, or who prefer to have options, without sacrificing H.o.W.'s defining qualities.

Hope this is all helpful, TxTiger. Feel free to post further questions here, or contact me directly via PM or at backcountrybyways@gmail.com

byways screwed with this post 12-04-2013 at 02:42 PM Reason: add photo
Old 12-04-2013, 11:23 AM   #234
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,217
Interesting history there. Check it out before taking this trip. It will really give where you are going some meaning while riding through.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #235
TxTiger
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Interesting history there. Check it out before taking this trip. It will really give where you are going some meaning while riding through.

I will, thanks.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #236
byways OP
byways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubalong View Post
This is sound fantastic, this can be my birthday present
You deserve it!
Old 12-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #237
byways OP
byways

Nothing like big-wall climbing with a four-foot rope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by travatron View Post
This looks like an amazing ride, one I'd very much like to try once I get my hands on that Tiger XC I've been eyeing (2400 miles on a CRF450X doesn't sound like a great time!)

All I can think looking at these pictures is about how amazing it would be to CLIMB some of these places! Have you ever seen rock climbers while out there? A combo moto/climbing trip of this magnitude... I could die happy (just hopefully not on that trip ).

Made some adjustments with my amazing MS Paint skills. Looks better now, IMO.

Echo Park, one of the top stops along the route, also is a popular put-in and take-out point for kayakers, rafters and such.

byways screwed with this post 12-04-2013 at 04:02 PM
Old 12-04-2013, 08:51 PM   #238
TxTiger
Gnarly Adventurer

Tony,
Thanks for the quick response. I think I will go ahead and purchase this for up to 4 riders which would include our support vehicle. If more join us I may need to increase the number. Please pm me with payment info.

I noticed a trailer behind a support vehicle in the pic. Can a reasonable sized trailer make the trip ok. If so it would allow the option to take a bike somewhere for repair if a breakdown happened. Also with a trailer I can see a portable generator, freezer full of brats, steaks, ice cream, ice for bourbon and water, etc, portable grill, maybe even a 32" HDTV with portable satellite dish. OK, scrap the tv and dish, sacrilegious for this ride.

Also, I hate to be such a noob, but I haven't bought my gps unit yet. I will by the end of the year however. I have pretty decided on the Garman Montana 650. Will everything load ok on this unit?

Thanks
Old 12-04-2013, 08:53 PM   #239
klinquist
übergeek

Oddometer: 1,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTiger View Post
Tony,
Thanks for the quick response. I think I will go ahead and purchase this for up to 4 riders which would include our support vehicle. If more join us I may need to increase the number. Please pm me with payment info.

I noticed a trailer behind a support vehicle in the pic. Can a reasonable sized trailer make the trip ok. If so it would allow the option to take a bike somewhere for repair if a breakdown happened. Also with a trailer I can see a portable generator, freezer full of brats, steaks, ice cream, ice for bourbon and water, etc, portable grill, maybe even a 32" HDTV with portable satellite dish. OK, scrap the tv and dish, sacrilegious for this ride.

Also, I hate to be such a noob, but I haven't bought my gps unit yet. I will by the end of the year however. I have pretty decided on the Garman Montana 650. Will everything load ok on this unit?

Thanks

I'm doing the route in in Sept (Aug 30-Sept 14?), maybe I'll see you en route and steal a brat from your fridge :).

The Montana 650 has a camera in it- do you need your GPS to have a camera? If you have a modern smartphone or a point and shoot better than 5 years old, the camera will be better than the one in the Montana - save your money and get the Montana 600. Same unit without a camera. That's what I did.

Route loads up fine in the Montanas.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:56 PM   #240
TxTiger
Gnarly Adventurer

travatron, The Triumph 800 Tiger is such a great ride. The triples are great engines. I have a Tiger 1050 and Street Triple and all I can say is they are great machines. Money is cheap in that interest rates are low, buy that bike and enjoy! Do this ride.