Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2014, 06:00 PM   #376
byways OP
byways

Oddometer: 2,146
The best forum for a proper answer to the technicals is likely Layin Down Tracks.

I'm certain someone out there has ridden the route using a 276. It was in its day the gold standard among Garmins. Some folks, I know, convert the tracks to routes in BaseCamp, then turn off auto routing or recalculation or whatever it's called so that the unit doesn't do you the favor of "correcting" things. I only do tracks.

My research into the 276 question finds that Dynobob is correct: the 276 will accept a maximum of 15 tracks. There are 16 primary tracks in the H.o.W. file; the rest are optional and alternate tracks.

Each track loaded onto a 276 has to be limited to 700 points. Each H.o.W. track is 500 track points or fewer.

I would think it would be possible to cut/combine/edit some H.o.W. tracks to reduce the number of primary tracks to 15, with a maximum of 700 track points in each.
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:12 PM   #377
AugustFalcon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,044
I don't remember the 750 number but do kind of remember 700 waypoints max for any single saved track. You can have 15 saved tracks with a total of. 10,000 track points between them.

The 276C will handle an active track up to 10,000 points. It is possible to connect a series of tracks and load them onto the 276C with the name activetrack and then use that to navigate. Its got to be less than 10,000 points and you need to have track recording turned off.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

04 BMW R1100S
02 KTM 250 Exc Racing

SmugMug referral code: jXF8ohDWlTm56
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:25 PM   #378
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustFalcon View Post
I don't remember the 750 number but do kind of remember 700 waypoints max for any single saved track. You can have 15 saved tracks with a total of. 10,000 track points between them.

The 276C will handle an active track up to 10,000 points. It is possible to connect a series of tracks and load them onto the 276C with the name activetrack and then use that to navigate. Its got to be less than 10,000 points and you need to have track recording turned off.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
In many cases they'll log more points in a track than you can upload to them. It's a different memory location. You might just verify that. Tracks are easy to combine and filter points on with mapsource.

A lot of us use the old 60 series because they're bulletproof and so easy to load tracks on, but it's limited to 500 points and a dozen tracks. Routes don't work well. Set everything up in mapsource and upload to the unit. Set colors too - I've had trouble with track colors being impossible to see. Changing them on the unit didn't work, have to do it in mapsource before uploading.

I'm with Dynobob - I use a netbook for this stuff too. Maybe even a Ipad would work, I just don't work with apple stuff much - just the ipod. LOL.
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:05 PM   #379
byways OP
byways

Thanks for the input, Browneye.

Combing tracks and filtering down the number of track points appears to be the simplest solution. I do it often. Just takes time.

byways screwed with this post 02-04-2014 at 07:30 PM
Old 02-04-2014, 08:51 PM   #380
BigKnobby
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by byways View Post
The best forum for a proper answer to the technicals is likely Layin Down Tracks.
Good point. I apologize for the thread jack.

I'll take my GPS questions there. One thing you can be certain of Tony is a purchase sometime in the next few months. Thank you for your time and patience, and thanks to everyone else for the info.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:15 PM   #381
byways OP
byways

You're more than welcome, BigKnobby. A safe and successful trip is the most important thing. Besides, the discussion is important to have here. We're all learning, all the time.

As more and more of us seek out longer and more complex routes, it's becoming increasingly difficult to accommodate those aspirations with the GPS units that we bought so dearly years ago. (Of which I have my own inventory ...)

It can be a challenge to precisely align a 500-point track over the course of, say, 230 miles of winding wildland roads.

The other issue is the number of individual tracks a unit can hold. Many older units are limited to 20; the 276, to 15.

I try to begin and end tracks at logical points, particularly gas/food/lodging stops. For campers, the length of a track doesn't matter, because they can stop just about anywhere for the night.

Those who prefer lodgings each night, and many do, often ask for tracks that begin and end at lodgings each night. In such cases, very long individual tracks can be unavoidable.

All of that said, it is useful to remember that -- junctions aside -- there's typically just one road to follow. Also, you're likely to be zoomed out to about 0.5 mile as you travel. At that level, aligning a 500-point track precisely with the only road there is, isn't imperative.

Let me know when you're ready to ride, B.K.

byways screwed with this post 02-05-2014 at 12:49 PM
Old 02-09-2014, 12:06 PM   #382
TxTiger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Although there are many great RR's on HOW, I found the RR for 3 Kaboom's, 3 Dudes, and a Chick ride Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, Montana to be particularly helpful in gaining an insight as to what each particular tract is like. I'm about half way through but so far it's been very educational and I recommend the read if you're planning to do this ride. They explained the terrain, changes in the terrain, and give pictures and lots of videos to show what the riding was like in various segments of the tracts. There is enough description as to where they are and what road they are on, that if you have already purchased your tracts, you can relate the narrative and pics and topography to various parts of the tracts in Basecamp and view through GE to get more perspective. Anyway, thought I'd share the info and link below.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=kabooms
TxTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:44 PM   #383
TxTiger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
What's happened to the HoW group? The last winter bite got everybody down? It has me too, so I loaded the little street triple r and booked it down to the Texas Hill Country to ride some great ranch roads. Well it's 70's and 80's here, and tomorrow I hope to eat at Chicken Earls, voted the best fried chicken in Texas. He only opens on Tuesdays.
TxTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:59 PM   #384
klinquist
übergeek

Oddometer: 1,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTiger View Post
What's happened to the HoW group? The last winter bite got everybody down? It has me too, so I loaded the little street triple r and booked it down to the Texas Hill Country to ride some great ranch roads. Well it's 70's and 80's here, and tomorrow I hope to eat at Chicken Earls, voted the best fried chicken in Texas. He only opens on Tuesdays.
Alive and well here in Sunny CA. Explored some dirt roads yesterday with a bunch of friends...

Only have 2200 miles on these rear Karoo 3s ... they won't do.

Will probably end up running a TKC80 front and Mitas E-07 rear tire. That combo should get me the 4000 miles I need round-trip...
Old 02-17-2014, 08:24 PM   #385
byways OP
byways

Somethin's wrong with your sky there, Klinquist ... I mean, it's not gray, it's not dark, not even gloomy ... Seems to be making peeps -- I dunno -- all cheerful n stuff ... How do you manage?

I know I've been AWOL ... Been working on several custom routes for groups who don't order from menus.

A preview of one (file photos ... excuse the 4Runners ... ) Two at the bottom are comin' to all 2014 H.o.W. riders, btw ... This thing is always new!

I LOVE MY TUPPERWARE!!

10,000 feet along the Idaho side of the Continental Divide ...

Idaho side again, on the way to the summit above ..

byways screwed with this post 02-17-2014 at 08:44 PM Reason: revise text; add photos
Old 02-17-2014, 08:34 PM   #386
DYNOBOB
lucky dog

Oddometer: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTiger View Post

Got four more inches after I took this pic last Thur. I've had enough snow...

In two weeks I'm going to do a IronButt1000 down to BikeWeek and then ride down to Key West a few days. Gonna camp on the beach at Long Key.

DYNOBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:48 PM   #387
byways OP
byways

That your crash pad, Dynobob? Looks like whoever lives there is ready for every motorized contingency ...

But whazzup with that sad tree in the foreground?

I'm planning a few days exploring Utah's Escalante canyons next month ... afoot.

byways screwed with this post 02-17-2014 at 08:57 PM
Old 02-17-2014, 08:59 PM   #388
DYNOBOB
lucky dog

hey..that's my favorite tree - looked like that for 45yrs (this is the farm I grew up on)

me and little sis in '72 - taken from almost same spot

DYNOBOB screwed with this post 02-17-2014 at 09:08 PM
Old 02-17-2014, 09:13 PM   #389
byways OP
byways

Really precious, Dynobob. Those are serious ties to the land you have.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:21 PM   #390
DYNOBOB
lucky dog

Blessed for sure Tony! Credit grandfather who graduated college during Depression, taught school whole life, saved enough to realize his dream of buying a farm.

Sorry... we digress