Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2014, 03:28 PM   #451
byways OP
byways

Oddometer: 2,110
We'll find something for you, CaseyB. Idaho embraces moto, and has a vast network of designated trails to draw on.
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:07 PM   #452
klinquist
übergeek

Oddometer: 1,064
Picked up a new Garmin Zumo 590LM.

It's much faster than my Montana, that's for sure.

Based on current bugs.. I cannot recommend it for HotW. It will not consistently display the waypoints along a track or route. Even when it does, it just shows a generic icon (not the icon shown in BaseCamp) and you have to click on the icon to show the name.

Right now I can't even get the icons to show up anymore.

Will be contacting Garmin :(.

klinquist screwed with this post 05-02-2014 at 08:50 PM
klinquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:12 PM   #453
byways OP
byways

Sheesh ... I was excited by what I saw in that pic you posted of the screen shot with a waypoint icon, except ... a heart icon? I don't push the name of the route that far, so the unit does appear to be changing icon images.

Sounds like Garmin is again relying on early adopters to do the R&D they should be doing, as they seem to have done with the Montana.

Maybe inmate Drtbyk can chime in? Try a post in Layin Down Tracks. I'll give him a heads up (he'll be on HoW this September, too).

byways screwed with this post 05-03-2014 at 12:39 PM
Old 05-02-2014, 09:27 PM   #454
klinquist
übergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by byways View Post
Sheesh ... I was excited by what I saw in that pic you posted of the screen shot with a waypoint icon, except ... a heart icon? I don't push the name of the route that far, so the unit does appear to be changing icon images.

Sounds like Garmin is again relying on early adopters to do the R&D they should be doing, as they seem to have done with the Montana.

Maybe inmate Drtbyk can chim in? Try a post in Layin Down Tracks. I'll give him a heads up (he'll be on HoW this September, too).
Yep.. even if I create a waypoint directly on the Zumo, it doesn't allow me to give it an icon.... all "saved places" are just hearts :(.

I can't get it to show any of the HotW waypoints anymore...

Bummer because I already have a buyer for my Montana - but luckily it is my buddy David who is coming on the HotW ride with me :).
Old 05-02-2014, 09:36 PM   #455
byways OP
byways

I was wondering who the lucky buyer was ... and it turns out you're both lucky.

Can't wait to hear how this turns out ...
Old 05-02-2014, 10:53 PM   #456
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by klinquist View Post
Yep.. even if I create a waypoint directly on the Zumo, it doesn't allow me to give it an icon.... all "saved places" are just hearts :(.

I can't get it to show any of the HotW waypoints anymore...

Bummer because I already have a buyer for my Montana - but luckily it is my buddy David who is coming on the HotW ride with me :).
Check your Map Layers setting. It should have "Places along the road" checked.

As for your waypoint symbols, the zumo does not support BaseCamp waypoint symbols. They are removed from the data upon transfer. If the zumo 590LM is like the BMW NAV5 you can edit Saved Places and change the waypoint symbol from the annoying heart to one of 46 "billboard" symbols.

To edit your Saved Place (waypoint) select it from your Saved Places list. Then select the Info icon and then the Options Menu. You hopefully will see the option to "Change Map Symbol" as the last option in the list - you may have to scroll to the bottom.

Hope that helps....

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:01 PM   #457
klinquist
übergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Check your Map Layers setting. It should have "Places along the road" checked.

As for your waypoint symbols, the zumo does not support BaseCamp waypoint symbols. They are removed from the data upon transfer. If the zumo 590LM is like the BMW NAV5 you can edit Saved Places and change the waypoint symbol from the annoying heart to one of 46 "billboard" symbols.

To edit your Saved Place (waypoint) select it from your Saved Places list. Then select the Info icon and then the Options Menu. You hopefully will see the option to "Change Map Symbol" as the last option in the list - you may have to scroll to the bottom.

Hope that helps....
In Map Layers, I don't have a Places Along The Road option. I have:
  • Up Ahead Places (Arrow next to that allows me to choose gas stations, restaurants, and rest areas),
  • 3D Terrain
  • Traffic
  • Trip Log
  • Custom Maps

A-ha... Info > Option > Edit > Change Map Symbol is there and works.

When the waypoints did show up (right now my Home icon as well as one I created is visible, but none of the others from HotW), it only showed the icon... with such a nice high res screen, it's unfortunate it doesn't give the name next to the icon. When Tony creates waypoints such as "gas this way", it's very helpful... now I'm going to have to click on every "heart" along the route as we ride by to see if it's something important :(.

Example of the Montana's superior display:
Old 05-02-2014, 11:27 PM   #458
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

As you can see from my Reviews I'm pretty familiar with many of these Garmin devices. But, I have not had any hands-on with the zumo 590LM.

On my NAV5, imported waypoints only show on the map when you are moving and have the "Places Along the Road" selected.

So, in the Map Layers feature of the 590LM, can you just select the "Up Ahead Places" rather than a type of place?

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 05-02-2014 at 11:51 PM
Old 05-02-2014, 11:33 PM   #459
klinquist
übergeek

Quote:
As you can see from my Reviews I'm pretty familiar with many of these Garmin devices. But, I have not had any hands-on with the zumo 590LM.

So, in the Map Layers feature, can you select the "Up Ahead Places" rather than a type of place?
Up Ahead Places is already checked.

I went into Apps > Tracks and selected one of the HotW tracks. It seems that whereas the Montana just lets you "Go!" to start navigating a track, the 590LM requires me to "Convert to Trip" first.

Regardless, once I start the 'trip', I zoom into the map where the actual HotW track begins, and unfortunately there are no waypoints displayed.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:07 AM   #460
klinquist
übergeek

Hi DRTBYK,

Did some more troubleshooting tonight, learned a thing or two.

1) Icon names ([sym] as it is called in the GPX XML taxonomy) ARE transferred from Basecamp to the 590LM. The problem is because the 590LM uses a new (worse!) icon set, the [sym] names are different - and it seems that if the 590LM sees a sym name it doesn't have an icon for, it just replaces it with the default heart. A few of Tony's icons DO work - gas station, restroom... and, well...not many more.

Based on this information, I could possibly create a waypoint on the 590LM with each one of the symbols, import into basecamp, export to GPX, and as long as Basecamp doesn't do any interpretation of itself, get the [sym] names for all of the 590LM's icons. I could then create a "mapping", write a little app that does all the search/replaces, and give Tony a customized 590LM version of his GPX.

Unfortunately the 590LMs icons not only lack color, but they also lack... useful symbols! There is no tent, for example. Does Garmin think that motorcyclists don't camp? :) Sure is nice of them to include the little roller coaster and bowling alley though

I am now 100% convinced that the icons not showing up is a bug. I was able to get the icons to show back up by doing a hard reset AND deleting all of my waypoints AND deleting the contents of the \GPX directory and then re-importing Tony's GPX.

I went through and made tracks visible and was looking through them on the 590LM.....after I enabled a few tracks as visible, all the icons disappeared from all the tracks. I went through and made only a single track visible thinking that it might be an issue with too many tracks being visible... and NOPE, the icons still did not come back.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:34 AM   #461
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

klinquist, I would agree with you that the zumo590LM has a bug--not that uncommon with "first-releases" these days. Usually, there are fixes in the works already but you should still report it to Garmin Product Support.

You might try one more "test" of you waypoints. Try creating some local to you and then work with the unit until they disappear. Then take the zumo out and travel around with it to see if the waypoints show up as you move toward them. If that doesn't yield anything, try creating a route by the waypoints (don't include them in the route) to see if they will show up.

Yes, if you want to navigate (get navigational data & turn-by-turn) you need to convert a Track to a Trip (Route) on the zumo brand. But, you get a lot more nag data than you do with Track navigation.

As for converting Symbol Sets, that's certainly doable but if Garmin should change anything on the zumo 590LM, you will need to do updates for Tony.

And, as you noted from the looking at the Symbol Set on the zumo 590LM (and the NAV5 and other current zumo's) this dev team doesn't give much attention to Adventure & Dual Sport feature/function. I'd be willing to trade my Bowling Alley symbol for a TENT symbol! These are things that can be easily change by Garmin if enough customers request it.

P.S.

You can make screen captures if you set your zumo Display settings to do so. Very easy and makes for easier communications about issues with these devices.

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 05-03-2014 at 07:45 AM
Old 05-03-2014, 08:32 AM   #462
klinquist
übergeek

Quote:
As for converting Symbol Sets, that's certainly doable but if Garmin should change anything on the zumo 590LM, you will need to do updates for Tony.
I could do a simple drag-and-drop web page that would let Tony or anyone else correct/add any to>from references. Maybe an hour or two of work. Perhaps this week :).
Old 05-03-2014, 08:45 AM   #463
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klinquist View Post
i could do a simple drag-and-drop web page that would let tony or anyone else correct/add any to>from references. Maybe an hour or two of work. Perhaps this week :).
cool...

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 05-03-2014, 12:48 PM   #464
byways OP
byways

Old 05-03-2014, 02:56 PM   #465
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Tony, not to worry. If klinquist says it will be easy, I believe him. The only limitation is that it will a new zumo™ solution exclusively since all other branded units have different Symbol Sets (most are aligned with BaseCamp which took it's original set from the On The Trail brand devices. But even those devices don't all have the same Symbol Set these days.

The above is why some of use were really trying to get Garmin to support Custom Symbol Set on all devices. That way we could create our own symbols and share them. Unfortunately, that is not the case today.

Dan
All Things GPS