Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2014, 08:36 AM   #511
TxTiger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieRedPig View Post
Good to know, but I found it required "double-click" the track to pull up a new window outlining the points and properties within the track. From there you can select a beginning point (it will highlight the point on the track/map) and then hold the shift-key while clicking the end point of interest. Summary data is presented at the top of the window.

Also of interest are the tabs at the top of the window, which includes one for "graph" of altitude. Good info!
You're right. It has been a while since I did it and I no doubt abbreviated the process. The tract window does give you excellent info. The average moving speed in particular is helping me plan good camping spots. However, the more I plan the more I think DockingPilot's approach may be the best, that's just stop when you're ready. If it's in town motel it, if not camp.
TxTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:36 AM   #512
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by byways View Post
Don't let it keep you awake at night ...
Too late Tony, been losing sleep over the thought of this ride since Docking Pilots RR..

Is it September yet?
Shooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:44 PM   #513
pinevalley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Fellow HoW ADV types...

Howdy folks...

Anyone traveling the route starting approximately on the 30th of this Month? I will be heading south down the "Tour of da Ho" and cutting over to start the HoW in Idaho Falls - hopefully around the 30th.

pinevalley
pinevalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:25 AM   #514
Somber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
I am currently planning on riding the loop the first two weeks of July, haven't yet decided where I am going to tie in and start, that will depend on external factors like possibly meeting up with some family in the area before I hit the formal loop. I am not a good traveling companion so I am not going to recommend we try to link up, but I figured I should mention that there will likely be at least one other ADVrider doing the ride around that time.

I have my license for the trip information and have been reviewing the data and reading the information provided along with it while planning and prepping. I am very happy with the depth and quality of the resources as well as excellent input and customer service from byways, it will be hard to go back to my usual personal planning from scratch in the future.
Somber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:03 PM   #515
byways OP
byways

Oddometer: 2,155
Just fyi ... I'm getting reports of inches of new snow over the last few days in the mountains of Idaho/Montana, and northern Utah.

Early travelers may encounter lingering drifts in shady spots in the mountains southwest of Bear Lake -- on the Idaho-Utah border just west of the Wyoming line -- and likely some mud here and there.
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:38 PM   #516
Somber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Just fyi ... I'm getting reports of inches of new snow over the last few days in the mountains of Idaho/Montana, and northern Utah.

Early travelers may encounter lingering drifts in shady spots in the mountains southwest of Bear Lake -- on the Idaho-Utah border just west of the Wyoming line -- and likely some mud here and there.
Good to know, as dry as it is some places I won't complain about moisture in any form, possible mud or lingering drifts will just add to the excitement :-)
Somber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:54 PM   #517
pinevalley
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somber View Post
I am currently planning on riding the loop the first two weeks of July, haven't yet decided where I am going to tie in and start, that will depend on external factors like possibly meeting up with some family in the area before I hit the formal loop. I am not a good traveling companion so I am not going to recommend we try to link up, but I figured I should mention that there will likely be at least one other ADVrider doing the ride around that time.
I'll PM you my contact info incase you need me to bring you a beer along the trail...or vice versa...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somber View Post
I am very happy with the depth and quality of the resources as well as excellent input and customer service from byways, it will be hard to go back to my usual personal planning from scratch in the future.
Agree - the 43 page supplementary document is very well detailed.

pinevelley
Old 06-19-2014, 06:03 PM   #518
pinevalley
Adventurer

Maps (benchmark)

FYI - my local photo copy place wanted ~$1.30 a page to copy the Benchmark Maps for this route. I ended up having 80 pages as I plan on traveling down the Tour of Da Ho and then back up the CDR. The copy price ended up almost being the same price I paid for the maps. I ended up cutting the pages out of my maps.

For those of you that plan better than myself - buying used (Amazon) could save you some coin as most are ~$10. I would assume this would be less than copies. Wish I still had access to the color copier at my old job.

pinevalley
Old 06-21-2014, 08:25 AM   #519
TxTiger
Gnarly Adventurer

I made black and white copies on a good copier and the copies are alright, but still not as sharp as the original map page. It's difficult to map many of the roads on the original map, much less on a copy. I'm considering taking the originals in addition to the copies. I can write, make notes on the copies and have the original if I need sharp detail.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:48 PM   #520
byways OP
byways

In field this week ...

Tribal units:

As you all know, modern technology (internal combustion engine, for example) makes it possible to "work" outside the traditional cubicle.

Thus, I shall be in my mobile office (KLR) for a few days this week, field checking a custom route.

But please ... carry on!
Old 06-23-2014, 09:51 AM   #521
headstaller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
And you have to rub it in
Quote:
Tribal units:

As you all know, modern technology (internal combustion engine, for example) makes it possible to "work" outside the traditional cubicle.

Thus, I shall be in my mobile office (KLR) for a few days this week, field checking a custom route.

But please ... carry on!
headstaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:05 AM   #522
byways OP
byways

Just sayin' ...
Old 06-23-2014, 08:25 PM   #523
TxTiger
Gnarly Adventurer

Let me know if you need any help. Also, I didn't see any liquor stores on your waypoints. Was that an oversight? I would hate to have to scrub off a gallon a fuel for whiskey
Old 06-23-2014, 08:29 PM   #524
TxTiger
Gnarly Adventurer

Let me know if you need any help. Also, I didn't see any liquor stores on your waypoints. Was that an oversight? I would hate to have to scrub off a gallon a fuel for whiskey.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:35 PM   #525
TxTiger
Gnarly Adventurer

Sorry for the double post. Guess I just wanted to make sure I didn't have to go a month for Kentucky straight bourbon.