Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2014, 11:49 AM   #556
byways OP
byways

Oddometer: 2,106
An aggressive off-road knobby like the D606 (a 90% dirt-10% street tire, according to Motorcycle Superstore's description) is unnecessary, and wouldn't last the trip.

There are stretches of highway, local-paved and hard-pack roads where the D606 may not be well-suited.

I used the Michelin T63 (a 50-50 tire, according to MC Superstore) on the rear for a couple of seasons. I found it quite good on the highway ... a surprise, given its big, widely spaced knobs. I thought it squirrely off-pavement at times, however; but boy, was it durable.

After reading in a couple of places that the T63 was a b@#&h to fix trailside, I switched to the Duro -- described as a 60% street-40% dirt tire -- and have settled on it. I've used it in rough terrain without problems.

byways screwed with this post 07-10-2014 at 01:40 PM
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:51 AM   #557
XFanMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by byways View Post
An aggressive off-road knobby like the D606 (a 90% hwy-10% dirt tire, according to Motorcycle Superstore's description) is unnecessary, and wouldn't last the trip.

There are stretches of highway, local-paved and hard-pack roads where the D606 may not be well-suited.

I used the Michelin T63 (a 50-50 tire, according to MC Superstore) on the rear for a couple of seasons. I found it quite good on the highway ... a surprise, given its knobs. I thought it squirrely off-pavement at times, however; but boy, was it durable.

After reading in a couple of places that the T63 was a b@#&h to fix trailside, I switched to the Duro -- described as a 60-40 tire -- and have settled on it. I've used it in rough terrain without problems.
Great information, nothing like hearing from the people "doing" it as opposed to the people "thinking" about it

Thanks again...Scott
Old 07-10-2014, 12:04 PM   #558
byways OP
byways

Oops ... I reversed the numbers on the D606. Should be 90% dirt, 10% street.

So sorry ...
Old 07-10-2014, 12:06 PM   #559
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 704
Taking notes here. Well timed post's as our crew has been talking about D606's.... and you confirmed my suspicions, thanks.
Shooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:06 PM   #560
XFanMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by byways View Post
Oops ... I reversed the numbers on the D606. Should be 90% dirt, 10% hwy.

So sorry ...
Lol, I knew what you meant. I've got Kenda K270's (50/50 tire) on now but not enough miles to pass judgement yet. Maybe by next month I'll know more.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:45 PM   #561
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooby View Post
Taking notes here. Well timed post's as our crew has been talking about D606's.... and you confirmed my suspicions, thanks.
You won't need that kind of tire for rear traction, and the fronts scallop something awful. Up front the Scorpion rally is quite aggressive and just works really well on and off pavement. Again, probably more aggressive than necessary.

The T63 front is a really good dualsport knob, it's knob height is fairly low so it works well on road, and plenty of grip off for a 50-50 tire. Just not that aggressive for a dirt knob. Almost identical is the Karoo 2. Without the brand stamp you probly couldn't tell the difference - I think the knobs slant a little on the karoo.

For rear the Fullbore M40 or Shinko 705 would work really well, as would a K60 although I prefer the former even though it doesn't last as long but it's easier to mount, repair, and half the price. Expect about 7K miles out of them, maybe 10K for the heidie. Absolutely fantastic tire on the Tiger 800XC.

Then there are mixed tires, more common that you'd think. Like a Tourance rear and a TKC front, switch out the front to another tourance for mostly road. Right now I'm running a anakee3 rear and fullbore front - amazing. The rear does not generally need to be as aggressive as the front for off pavement - the main issue with the front is corner washouts. Any of them will work pretty well on road, and all will go well longer than the HOW loop. For this I think a dualsport tire might well be just fine.

I can see where the T63 would be a great choice - good on road and dirt, pretty durable tire and cheap. The rear can be a smallish profile and my husky tears them up in about 1800 miles. I've since gone with a D606 and it really works well but likely well overkill for HOW. I'd have to think about how I would tire the husky if I was gonna ride that one on the loop.

Just some ideas...

browneye screwed with this post 07-11-2014 at 03:14 PM
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:53 PM   #562
byways OP
byways

Yeah, the price of the T63 -- as well as its longevity -- is appealing.

I'd say a 50-50 tire is fine.

Now, if anyone dares to ask which oil is best ...
Old 07-10-2014, 03:49 PM   #563
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,424
Sorry Tony. Didn't mean to hijack the thread.
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:16 PM   #564
byways OP
byways

Ain't no hijack! This is important und helpful. So carry on, browneye (except for the oil thing ... :-) )
Old 07-10-2014, 04:40 PM   #565
tar356
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
HoW tires

I've been lurkin on this thread, in hopes of riding the HoW loop in '15, and glad to see tire questions come up.

Curious on your thoughts about tires for big bikes?....specifically my Super Tenere.

Thanks

p.s. anyone thinking about 2015, that needs a riding partner, or wants to get a group together, shoot me a PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:01 PM   #566
byways OP
byways

Welcome, tar356!

Perhaps others with extended experience on that bike can chime in. I'll stick to what I know.

I'll bet there's a Super Ten thread on this forum somewhere that can provide good suggestions.

byways screwed with this post 07-10-2014 at 05:26 PM
Old 07-11-2014, 07:17 AM   #567
klinquist
όbergeek

Oddometer: 1,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by tar356 View Post
I've been lurkin on this thread, in hopes of riding the HoW loop in '15, and glad to see tire questions come up.

Curious on your thoughts about tires for big bikes?....specifically my Super Tenere.

Thanks

p.s. anyone thinking about 2015, that needs a riding partner, or wants to get a group together, shoot me a PM.
On my Tiger the current plan is TKC80 front, Mitas E07 rear.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:02 AM   #568
Flatlander53
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
GTR Maps

For anyone planning for this adventure, I just received my five maps and I'm impressed with the detail. I like my paper maps!! Fast shipping and a great deal. Thanks Tony.
Flatlander53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:07 AM   #569
byways OP
byways

I'm glad GTR Mapping came through for you, Flatlander53!

byways screwed with this post 07-11-2014 at 11:19 AM
Old 07-11-2014, 11:17 AM   #570
byways OP
byways

Closure!

Ok, so, first there's that tractor wrecking Swinging Bridge ...

Now, inmate Pinevalley reports from the field that he encountered a road closure on one of H.o.W.'s optional tracks (thank goodness) in Wyoming, and sent along his photo of it:

It was in an area of a massive wildfire a couple of years ago. The loss of soil-retaining vegetation often leads to severe erosion, as you can see.

Pinevalley reported as well that U.S. Forest Service crews were already poised to repair it. So, one hopes, it may be open again soon.

H.o.W. licensees have been sent the GPS coordinates, also courtesy of Pinevalley.

Another one to monitor ...

Thanks for the report, P'valley!