Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2014, 05:31 AM   #601
XFanMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by DYNOBOB View Post
Actually I talked to Bob at the airport today, super nice guy! Asked what it would cost and he said no charge (we'll flip them something though). Also made a reservation in Hayden and near Flaming Gorge. My crew is pumped!

I did some sleuthing and found two places to stay in Hayden. Google "Midway Boardin' House" and "Horse and Hen B&B". The woman at Midway (Shelly) also manages Red Stone now. She said she could most always find room for us at one of the facilities. Told both places they may start getting calls from bike trippers.

Good intel thanks for sharing. My brother-in-law just had his second hip replacement and wants to avoid his tent if at all possible. We'll check this out!

Septembers coming fast now folks
Old 07-26-2014, 05:39 PM   #602
byways OP
byways

Oddometer: 2,159
Alert: Pony Express' Lookout Pass reopens

UPDATE: The wildfire-reporting website Inciweb reports that Lookout Pass is now open. It was previously closed by the Simpson Complex fires.

Tribe:

The Simpson Complex fire in Utah's west desert closed Lookout Pass and Simpson Springs campground on the Pony Express/Overland Stage route earlier this week.

News reports state that 95-percent containment is expected this weekend (July 26-ish) (especially since my son, a hot-shot crew member, is on it ...).

In the meantime, alternate routing that officials are recommending is paved east-west State Route 199, perhaps 20 miles to the north via Johnson Pass, the site of Terra, and the town of Rush Valley.

Looking at Benchmark's Utah atlas, p. 50, there appear to be two county roads southwest of Johnson Pass that connect SR 199 and the Pony Express road a short distance west of Lookout Pass. East of Johnson Pass, SR 36 will connect SR 199 with H.o.W. and the Pony Express in a few miles.

Much of the Pony Express route east of Lookout Pass is paved; the good stuff is west of the pass.

byways screwed with this post 07-28-2014 at 10:22 AM
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:44 PM   #603
byways OP
byways

Hey ya'll ... Can anyone help with some responses to Mastery's tire query?
Old 07-27-2014, 06:23 AM   #604
Flatlander53
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
V-Strom Tires

I'm a big fan of Heidenau K60's. Good for lots of miles and decent performance off-road. I have a set on my KLR 650 that will be used for the HoW in September.
Flatlander53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:23 AM   #605
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlander53 View Post
I'm a big fan of Heidenau K60's. Good for lots of miles and decent performance off-road. I have a set on my KLR 650 that will be used for the HoW in September.
Great tire, but a total bitch to change a flat. Very stiff sidewalls. Of coarse, that is my $0.02...

JG

To see the world, things dangerous to come to, to see behind walls, draw closer, to find each other, and to feel. That is the purpose of life.
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:13 AM   #606
Flatlander53
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
Great tire, but a total bitch to change a flat. Very stiff sidewalls. Of coarse, that is my $0.02...

JG
The rear especially! Three irons and lots of lube helps.
Flatlander53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:43 AM   #607
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post

JG
my $0.02 as well. Currently running K60 rear, TKC80 front. The K60 front is not much better off road than a 80/20 tire.
Shooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:29 PM   #608
byways OP
byways

Well, I just ordered another Kenda Big Block for my front. Still waiting for the Duro Median 50-50 on the rear to wear down enough to warrant mounting the one waiting in the wings ...
Old 07-28-2014, 12:12 PM   #609
TxTiger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
I'm running Pirelli MT 21 Rallycross on the DRZ. They are pretty aggressive for this ride, 90% dirt 10% road, but they are very stable on and off the pavement. I've been told they probably won't make the entire trip. I've considered carrying a new back tire with me, and may, but I think I'll just keep an eye on it and if need be, arrange for a change somewhere since packing space is getting tight.
TxTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:22 PM   #610
byways OP
byways

TxTiger, sometimes riders have tires shipped to Ben's Quality Cycle, a solid independent shop that's been here in Idaho Falls for decades. Or have Ben order them pre-paid, and they'll be ready to mount when you roll into town.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:57 PM   #611
TxTiger
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by byways View Post
TxTiger, sometimes riders have tires shipped to Ben's Quality Cycle, a solid independent shop that's been here in Idaho Falls for decades. Or have Ben order them pre-paid, and they'll be ready to mount when you roll into town.
Thanks Tony. Idaho Falls looks be just over 1,500 miles of the ride from Oak Creek (including Antelope Ridge alt). If they are not holding up that looks like a good stop for tire and oil changes.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:52 PM   #612
ACME Rider Supply
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
For the Strom-I would select a K60 Scout or a TKC80; you will appreciate the added bite if/when conditions get a little sloppy. Some like the shinkos or kenda big blocks but the K60 is by far the most durable and long lasting, the TKC80 more versitile, but only good for about 3,000 miles on this route. Repairing a flat is not as difficult as some might have you think. Remember you only have to unseat 1 side to get the tube out, which when hot is quite easy. Take a mini can of WD40 to aid getting it reseated, and some decent tire irons.

Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastery View Post
I had a question in PM to Tony, and he invited me to throw it up here in his thread to get some of you to help out that have done his route on different bikes.

I have a 07 Vstrom DL650 that I'm very seriously considering using for a HoW ride later next summer.

Anyways, back to my question. For my Vstrom, what kind of tires are recommended that would get me to the route, ride the HoW, and back home? I'm looking at over 2K miles roundtrip of interstate riding, and then would like to do as much of the HoW route I can do in around two weeks. Trailering the bike isn't an option.

Would something like a Shinko 705 be a good choice? Mitas? I'd like to do the entire trip on one set of tires of course, so would have to be decent on all types of surfaces encountered. Thoughts?

Tony, thanks for letting me jump in off-topic here!

ETA: I took out a sentence above where I mentioned that the route was going to be an easy one for a newbie. I misunderstood a prior message from Tony. I see that his routes provide a fun and challenging adventure. I did not mean to infer anything other than that. My apologies Tony.

ACME Rider Supply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:07 PM   #613
TxTiger
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACME Rider Supply View Post
For the Strom-I would select a K60 Scout or a TKC80; you will appreciate the added bite if/when conditions get a little sloppy. Some like the shinkos or kenda big blocks but the K60 is by far the most durable and long lasting, the TKC80 more versitile, but only good for about 3,000 miles on this route. Repairing a flat is not as difficult as some might have you think. Remember you only have to unseat 1 side to get the tube out, which when hot is quite easy. Take a mini can of WD40 to aid getting it reseated, and some decent tire irons.

Good luck
Hey Andrew. Any opinion if the Pirelli mt21 will make the distance?
Old 07-29-2014, 06:09 AM   #614
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTiger View Post
Hey Andrew. Any opinion if the Pirelli mt21 will make the distance?
Hey Tx Tiger , how far are you going?
Riding out and back or hauling?

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:25 AM   #615
TxTiger
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdon View Post
Hey Tx Tiger , how far are you going?
Riding out and back or hauling?
hey bigdon. We are trailering the bikes to Oak Creek, CO. We plan on riding most of the optional primitive routes, so the total mileage will be about 3,000.