ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2014, 06:30 PM   #631
TxTiger
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: North Texas
Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by byways View Post
U need another 10 months to pack, Tex :-)
Ha, no kidding. I figure there's no way I'll be hurting for anything important with the thought/planning I've put into this. Your help has been really instrumental, and I've read the various ride reports a few times to get a feel for each tract.

Hey, I've sacrificed. I've already given up 2 liters of fuel for bourbon, and trying to see if I can fit 2 full size down pillows. I am leaving the humidor and just putting the cigars in a zip lock. I could get lighter but trying to see if I can fit some of the comforts of home. Bourbon for tired muscles after riding. I pretty well have the clothing packed light, but try to have duplicate systems/backups for important stuff should something fail. Heck, the pioneers made it on much less.
TxTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:50 PM   #632
Backoutonthehighway
Blame it on my 80HD
 
Backoutonthehighway's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: All those who wander are not lost!
Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTiger View Post
I'm still finding stuff I need and don't even have room for what I want to take now. Just bought an extra clutch/throttle cable, bear canister (tried to just use a duffle but after reading ...), warm sleeping bag liner, water bladders, bear spray (2, twin guns like my Mattel Fanner 50's I had in the 4th grade, re-living the gun fighter). I'm behind but I started from scratch 10 months ago building an adventure bike, luggage/bags, riding gear, camping stuff, survival gear, etc. At least by doing close to 3,000 miles it will help lower my cost per mile.

Can't wait, 29 days and counting.
link to the RR? You should already have that started you know!
__________________
"Never try to sell a meteor to a dinosaur. It wastes your time and annoys the dinosaur." - gapingvoid
RR: CHEAPER THAN THERAPY 2014: 10 Days out West
backoutonthehighway
Backoutonthehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:20 PM   #633
pinevalley
Adventurer
 
pinevalley's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: sno ho
Oddometer: 98
HoW pics...

Dear Fellow HoW riders, soon to be riders, those who need to be riders and lurkers...

Well my intent was to whip up one of those ride reports, but given my work and other obligations it is not going to happen.

However, I took one or two photo's I can share: http://pinevalley.smugmug.com/Other/...3609&k=cDF3hRp

Be warned:
I have not had time to filter the photos - you get the pleasure of seeing all the crap.
Lot's of Swedish porn (no Austrian company can squash the swedish beauty)
Lot's of panorama shots (so many wide open spaces)
The bunny will steal your camp shoes and jump on you in the middle of the night - watch out.
For some reason when loading up to smugmug it always reverses the chronological order. So...start at the end and work your way to the beginning.
I rode the Tour of sNOw (Idaho) and the CDR to get to and from the HoW. Some of the photos are not of the HoW.

Please feel free to ask questions.

One camping suggestion - if you can swing it, camp on some of the primitive routes. They were truly fantastic out in the middle of BFE. I did not, but wish I had.

pinevalley
pinevalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:10 PM   #634
TxTiger
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: North Texas
Oddometer: 161
Great pictorial rr, no narrative needed. Looks like you went minimalist. Inspiring me to lose one of my dry bags and make it work. What was your setup? Looks like a ground bivey? What was your shelter and tarp? Thanks for sharing.
TxTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:23 PM   #635
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 5,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinevalley View Post

However, I took one or two photo's I can share: http://pinevalley.smugmug.com/Other/...3609&k=cDF3hRp


Please feel free to ask questions.
You rode it solo I gather. Wow. I'm afraid I would be too lonely to do that. Maybe if I tried it.

Can you list the pages of thumbnails by page number and which state they were taken in? That way we can kind of tell where you were when you shot that series.

You rode starting where and in which direction?

Thanks! Some great shots for sure!
__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
Camp Nelson 2014 RR Laguna Seca 2012 RR Sequoia 3-Day Campout Thanksgiving 2012
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:37 PM   #636
pinevalley
Adventurer
 
pinevalley's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: sno ho
Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTiger View Post
Great pictorial rr, no narrative needed. Looks like you went minimalist. Inspiring me to lose one of my dry bags and make it work. What was your setup? Looks like a ground bivey? What was your shelter and tarp? Thanks for sharing.
TxTiger,

I had a tarp, bivy and 30deg bag with me. The tarp and bivy are from Mountain Laurel Designs. Sleeping bag is a western mountaineering bag. Sleeping pad was a Klymit x-frame. Sea-to-summit bug bivy. Ground cloth is just a emergency blanket (Longevity was not so hot on this trip. Prior trips it was good).

I packed pretty minimal (read as OCD). I'm a big fan of tarps, but I'm not sure everyone will buy into it. I preferred to sleep under the stars as much as possible. Only one night was I caught off guard - the night the bunny stole my shoes. it was not rain, but dew had saturated my bivy and bag (I think I have a photo of my gear hanging on a line to dry).

pinevalley
pinevalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:08 AM   #637
DYNOBOB
lucky dog
 
DYNOBOB's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Oddometer: 945
Pinevalley, I see you're running a Desert Race rear tire, how did you like it? Did it do the whole trip? Thanks

It appears this one was taken 800 miles into the trip



And this is a zoom from one of your last pics w/ 4000+ miles?


.
__________________
TE630.KLX250S.GL1800.CBR900RRturbo.919
HoW (ForeverWest) 2014 CO/UT 2013
Northern Rockies 2013 IBA Key West 2014 Tentspace

DYNOBOB screwed with this post 08-07-2014 at 06:21 AM
DYNOBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:05 AM   #638
portabill
n00b
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinevalley View Post
Only one night was I caught off guard - the night the bunny stole my shoes.

PV, that must have been a Jack-a-lope!

Great pics, thanks for sharing
portabill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:16 AM   #639
pinevalley
Adventurer
 
pinevalley's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: sno ho
Oddometer: 98
browneye,

Yep - solo it was. I need to find more friends with dirt bikes.

I started in Sand Point, ID (parked the truck in a storage yard). I then traveled south - attempting the Tour of Idaho. I ended up hitting massive snow at lower than expected elevation (5300 ft). I cut over to Seeley Lake, MT to catch the Continental Divide south (Seeley Lake is after photo 589). I started the HoW just north of Bannack MT and rode clockwise.

Photo 528 is after Gravelly - not many photos as there was crap loads of rain. I was unable (unwilling) to complete the Gravelly loop due to slicker than snot road conditions.
Photo 492 I believe is the start of the first primitive route for me (06b).
Photo 443 I believe is the start of the primitive route in the Great Basin (08a).
Photo 361 is the start of Dinosaur National Monument. Photo 334 is every tractors favorite bridge.
Photo 301to 304 - not part of the route, but right on it. great view from Red Mountain (Tony - something to consider adding).
Photo 299 is just past Brigham UT (I think).
Photo 155 is the washout on loop 16a.
Photo 73 is just North of Idaho Falls.
Photo 47 is the end of my HoW route and back on the CDR north.

Hope that helps some even though it is kind of a cluster fuck.

pinevalley

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
You rode it solo I gather. Wow. I'm afraid I would be too lonely to do that. Maybe if I tried it.

Can you list the pages of thumbnails by page number and which state they were taken in? That way we can kind of tell where you were when you shot that series.

You rode starting where and in which direction?

Thanks! Some great shots for sure!
pinevalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:25 AM   #640
pinevalley
Adventurer
 
pinevalley's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: sno ho
Oddometer: 98
Dynobob,

The Deserts (front and rear) lasted the entire trip (~4600mi). The front was pretty shot by the time I was done. I'd assume if I was not running the Mousse Bibs and inflated the tires on the highway stretches they would have been in much better shape.

I rode the CDR in 2011 and had good experiences as well with a T63 front and Desert rear. I was not running Mousse Bibs and re-inflated on the highway stretches. This includes slabbing it from Seattle to the northern start of the CDR. Rear was about 2/3 worn.

pinevalley


Quote:
Originally Posted by DYNOBOB View Post
Pinevalley, I see you're running a Desert Race rear tire, how did you like it? Did it do the whole trip? Thanks .
pinevalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:52 AM   #641
tar356
Adventurer
 
tar356's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 79
Great info pinevalley...

Do you feel your Garmin 60 was adequate for the HoW??

Thanks
__________________
Todd Rudaitis
tar356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:54 AM   #642
pinevalley
Adventurer
 
pinevalley's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: sno ho
Oddometer: 98
Bear bag or canister?

I used this method to keep the bears (and critters) away from my food. Could save a bunch of space and weight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgBLDMuPuvE

pinevalley

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTiger View Post
I'm still finding stuff I need and don't even have room for what I want to take now. Just bought an extra clutch/throttle cable, bear canister (tried to just use a duffle but after reading ...), warm sleeping bag liner, water bladders, bear spray (2, twin guns like my Mattel Fanner 50's I had in the 4th grade, re-living the gun fighter). I'm behind but I started from scratch 10 months ago building an adventure bike, luggage/bags, riding gear, camping stuff, survival gear, etc. At least by doing close to 3,000 miles it will help lower my cost per mile.

Can't wait, 29 days and counting.
pinevalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:02 AM   #643
pinevalley
Adventurer
 
pinevalley's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: sno ho
Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by tar356 View Post
Great info pinevalley...

Do you feel your Garmin 60 was adequate for the HoW??

Thanks
It worked fine. However, it is limited to 20 tracks. Tony provides you with something like 30+ tracks. I also needed to navigate the tour of Idaho, CDR and from the CDR back to Sand Point, ID (where my truck was). Non - essential HoW tracks, the CDR and the to and from were converted to waypoints. By the end I had maxed out the capacity of the 60. Again, it worked fine, but if I have cash floating around I will be migrating over to the Montana. It would have saved me a bunch of time converting tracks to way points and such.

Another issue I had was some of the maps in Montana near the Idaho and Utah border went blank. I'm not sure if this was a 60 thing or not - I did have it maxed out.


Hope that helps,

pinevalley
pinevalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:36 AM   #644
tar356
Adventurer
 
tar356's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinevalley View Post
It worked fine. However, it is limited to 20 tracks. Tony provides you with something like 30+ tracks. I also needed to navigate the tour of Idaho, CDR and from the CDR back to Sand Point, ID (where my truck was). Non - essential HoW tracks, the CDR and the to and from were converted to waypoints. By the end I had maxed out the capacity of the 60. Again, it worked fine, but if I have cash floating around I will be migrating over to the Montana. It would have saved me a bunch of time converting tracks to way points and such.

Another issue I had was some of the maps in Montana near the Idaho and Utah border went blank. I'm not sure if this was a 60 thing or not - I did have it maxed out.


Hope that helps,

pinevalley
Exactly what I wanted to know....thx!
__________________
Todd Rudaitis
tar356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:08 AM   #645
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 5,052
Gps

While the 60 series Garmin is a rock solid standby, it does have its limitations. My thought would be to bring a ipod mini if that would upload to the gps, or something of the sort. Depending on the bike and cargo capacity of course.

I've been using a 60cs for almost ten years and loath to buy or learn a new system. There have been other issues with newer platforms as well - I know one user that has a famous montana that just shuts down at will, and he's working on like unit 3 or 4 or something. Seems vibrations from his bike kills them. Now he mounts it with velcro on a soft tankbag.


EDIT: I don't think mine would even hold all the topo maps for 5 states. In fact, I'm sure of it. :(
__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
Camp Nelson 2014 RR Laguna Seca 2012 RR Sequoia 3-Day Campout Thanksgiving 2012
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014