Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #106
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog View Post
If anyone from back east...namely Pennsylvania, would like to do this give me a shout. It looks awesome, but not something logistically I could pull off on my own in a 2 week vacation window.
This is one of those "once in a lifetimes" and well worth the effort to make it happen. For me the two week trip to ride the entire route was vital to the experience as a whole. It's more then just a motorcycle ride off the paved roads. Much more here. This route provided slack-jaw scenery, solitude and western history that not many have seen. For instance Huegel routes you past the actual "Parting of the Ways" on the Oregon Trail. Not the false one out on the paved road most others, including some locals, see and think is authentic.
Oregon Trail, Pony Express, Trans Continental Rail Road, John Wesley Powell's Echo Park and more.
You won't get bored. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:47 PM   #107
byways OP
byways

Oddometer: 2,033
Coming from you, COXR65L, that is high praise indeed. The ADV community owes you a great deal for all the work you put into Westfest and building our community.

Heart of the West will be ready when you are ...

And a shout out to PA!

Don't feel like you have to do it all in one trip, Rockinrog. Or even in one lifetime! Since it's a loop, you can take it in fun-sized chunks. Lemme know when you're ready.

But there is great merit in the vision and accomplishment of Dockingpilot, who led the first riders to take on what was then a new route based on an evolving concept: extended "total immersion" backcountry travel through the landscapes that define the American West.

byways screwed with this post 06-10-2013 at 09:03 PM
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:24 PM   #108
byways OP
byways

Car 54 where are u?

Post 109 ... PA inmate planning break out to flee west ... seeking co-conspirator ...

Anybody need a partner?
Old 06-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #109
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
'Rode this route last year with my son, and had so much fun that I'm doing it again this year, with company, in my Jeep, early September. Tony's new route looks good and we'll have some new scenery. I know, bikes only here, but I have to give a boost to this ride. It's terrific.
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:45 AM   #110
byways OP
byways

Thanks, blaisew!

Hey thanks, blasew ...

I am so excited about your plan. It is a dual-mode route (just returned late last night from further explorations in Wyoming in my 4Runner ...). While we're all devoted moto fans, the modern SUV makes this route possible for just about anyone ... seniors, disabled folks, even families.

Can't wait to hear about it!
Old 06-13-2013, 12:58 PM   #111
byways OP
byways

Wyoming

Now and then folks who are planning to travel Heart of the West Adventure Route need some particular adjustments to the route to accommodate their vacation schedules. Sometimes, that means I need to go do some exploring. The other day I explored Wyoming, one of the six states the route includes, to find a course for a group from California.

I hope they enjoy it ...

Old 06-13-2013, 06:07 PM   #112
mirtna
Magrambalgue

Oddometer: 55
GREAT looking trip/route!

Geeeeeze, I should be doing HoW! And, ..... I live in Idaho Falls! No excuse not to do it!
But first I gotta depart on a moto trip to Nevada to CA, Oregon, maybe WA, then back through Idaho. Mostly be doing slab, but we will find some gravel/easy two track to do. We head to Eureka, CA and take in some "Lost Coast" area. Will do route 36 east of Fortuna, CA and then we will make up stuff from there........

Great looking work Tony! Impressive!
I'll want to contact you when I return from my little "runabout" to the coast and back .....
Old 06-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #113
byways OP
byways

Oh my heck! Yes, you should be out on Heart of the West; goes right through town. But it sounds like you've a terrific ride ahead. Let's connect when you return, park our bikes at Starbucks 'n stuff

byways screwed with this post 06-13-2013 at 07:38 PM
Old 06-14-2013, 05:01 AM   #114
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by byways View Post
Oh my heck! Yes, you should be out on Heart of the West; goes right through town. But it sounds like you've a terrific ride ahead. Let's connect when you return, park our bikes at Starbucks 'n stuff
Silly cowboy, there's no Starbucks in Idaho Falls.
Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #115
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 3,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Silly cowboy, there's no Starbucks in Idaho Falls.
Lol
Um...
Actually there is.
It's by Wal-Mart near I-15.
Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:01 AM   #116
byways OP
byways

Need foto.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:51 PM   #117
byways OP
byways

The real adventurers

Crossing the Great Plains in 1844, Catherine Sager Pringle -- one of seven children in a family heading west in a wagon train -- was pulled under her wagon's wheels when her dress got caught up. Her leg was crushed. Then her father became ill and died. He was buried on the banks of the Green River. Then her mother became ill in the persistent cold, and she died, too.

"The tent was set up, the corpse laid out, and next morning we took the last look at our mother's face," Catherine recalled. "The grave was near the road; willow brush was laid in the bottom and covered the body, the earth filled in -- then the train moved on. Her name was cut on a headboard, and that was all that could be done."

Just 26 days after they left Missouri, the children -- the eldest 14, the youngest an infant born along the way -- were orphaned on the Oregon Trail. They were adopted by the other families, she said. And then they move on.

(From Across The Plains in 1844)

We could remember another young emigrant woman as well, one of just 20 years ... and the hundreds of thousands like her who risked their lives and sometimes lost on trails we ride for fun.

I came upon some remote trailside emigrant graves unexpectedly the other day, while crossing a Wyoming plateau, searching for something special for clients from California. One encounters them from time to time, as well as other fading relics of the old West.

Moments of discovery occur daily along Heart of the West ADV Route ... along the Overland Stage Route, the Oregon Trail, the Pony Express Route, the Lincoln Highway ...

Don't miss your discovery moments. PM Backcountry Byways today!

byways screwed with this post 12-25-2013 at 05:46 PM Reason: add photos
Old 06-20-2013, 09:17 AM   #118
byways OP
byways

91 octane ethanol-free! ... 24 hours a day!

I rode the other day through Jackson Hole, Wyoming ...

... and onward into the Wind River Range to visit our friends at Crooked Creek Guest Ranch.

Crooked Creek is ideally located right along the HoW route. While they offer HoW travelers a lodging discount, I only stayed just long enough to visit, take a few photos ... and have lunch (the best club sandwich ever!). Sorry ... no foto.

In the course of my visit I learned something: They sell 91-octane, ethanol-free gasoline 24 hours a day! KTM riders ... Crooked Creek is thinking of you!

And at day's end, after dinner (they serve breakfast and lunch, too), and after you've stretched the truth of the day's adventures over a cold one or three at the bar, they will tuck you snugly into one of these:

When you awaken, invigorated by a night of cool mountain air, you'll head back onto the route ...

... feeling, perhaps, that it's time to make a change in your life ...

How much longer can you put this off? Contact us today!

byways screwed with this post 12-18-2013 at 02:57 PM Reason: add photo
Old 06-21-2013, 12:46 AM   #119
mirtna
Magrambalgue

Oddometer: 55
Starbucks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questor View Post
Um...
Actually there is.
It's by Wal-Mart near I-15.
Q~
Regarding Starbucks: Inside Idaho Falls Barnes and Noble - that too is a Starbucks, no? Then, inside Fred Meyer's? Starbucks there too, no? Idaho Falls is trendy? Actually, I suppose in trendy places Starbucks would be considered non-trendy!
.........Just did hwy 36 in north CA. WOW! TWISTIES upon twisties! From California Oak Savannah to Digger Pine Scrub Forest to Ponderosa Pine Forest to Douglass Fir Forest to Redwood Forest to Coast Alluvial. .....what a ride!!!
......sorry for off thread topic content. ......but still exhilarated from that ride! Not only twisties upon twisties but rises and dips between twists. G-force dips to negative g-force rises before dropping into another turn. ......a VERY nice ride. Scenery fantastic as well!
Old 06-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #120
byways OP
byways

ADVMoto magazine

Just to share ...

Here's Yours Truly on the cover of the July-August 2013 edition of ADVMoto magazine, courtesy of moto photographer Jonathan Beck:

byways screwed with this post 06-29-2013 at 06:23 AM