User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2012, 12:30 PM   #1
mpatch OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
filling up empty space in saddlebags?

with my typical 2-3 day load I have quite a bit of unused space in my bags and when the pavement ends stuff bounces around way too much. the main thing is my tool roll. I am running soft bags FWIW. I have thought about moving my tools to my top rack but would rather keep the weight as low as possible. I am thinking something inflatable that could be adjusted according to how full the bags are.
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #2
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,038
$2 kids arm floats from Walmart?
Old 12-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
Medic
Window licker

Oddometer: 597
A couple of inflatable pillows, and you can use them to rest yer head on at night.

Why carry something that is only used to take up space, make sure it can be useful as well.

FarRider #332.
Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:43 PM   #4
jsb223
ADV Rookie

Oddometer: 1,156
Inflatable camp pillow?

Pack more stuff?

I never seem to have this particular problem.
jsb223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:02 PM   #5
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 748
What kind of bags are they? Are you against sewing a compression strap to them? My saddle bags have a compression strap that allows me to cinch them down tight even when they are nearly empty, keeping the load stable even at speed offroad.

I would think that anything inflatable would just be a pain in the butt being that it is vulnerable to being popped wether by crash/drop or possibly even just snagging it, not to mention that you have to deal with inflating and deflating depending on the load.
The Letter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #6
mpatch OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
What kind of bags are they? Are you against sewing a compression strap to them? My saddle bags have a compression strap that allows me to cinch them down tight even when they are nearly empty, keeping the load stable even at speed offroad.

I would think that anything inflatable would just be a pain in the butt being that it is vulnerable to being popped wether by crash/drop or possibly even just snagging it, not to mention that you have to deal with inflating and deflating depending on the load.
Ortliebs, I did run a Rok strap under the plastic stiffening insert that works for lighter things just not a heavy tool roll
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #7
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatch View Post
with my typical 2-3 day load I have quite a bit of unused space in my bags and when the pavement ends stuff bounces around way too much. the main thing is my tool roll. I am running soft bags FWIW. I have thought about moving my tools to my top rack but would rather keep the weight as low as possible. I am thinking something inflatable that could be adjusted according to how full the bags are.
i made cardboard inserts to keep the bags shape when empty and used to use smaller bags inside the main bag and some old t shirts to keep things from bouncing around and to keep things together.
kubiak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:59 PM   #8
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,349
I run Ortleibs too and they are typically mostly empty. I haven't had the issue you have, but I keep my tools in my Pelican topcase. Unfortunately, I don't have a good spot for a tooltube but if you do, you may want to put the heavy stuff.

The stuff that typically is in the bags year-round are things like jacket liner, FroggToggs, tube(s), warmer/colder glove depending on the season.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:47 AM   #9
achtung3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 968
What a good problem to have- extra space!

SNACKS, anyone can use some extra of that!
achtung3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:41 AM   #10
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
As others have said, it's best from a mass centralisation point of view to have bags that cinch down to deal with being partly full. Failing that, some sort of compression straps (Rok Straps are good) to squish the bag small.

If you're not able to do that with your current setup, expanding existing stuff you're carrying is the way to go; undo compression straps on sleeping bags and any stuff sacks, inflate your camp pillow, etc.

It's inevitable you will sometimes need to carry additional stuff aside from what you pack in your bags normally that will be used up and leave some surplus. For example, firewood, food, cans of beer, etc. I carry a bungee net rolled up under my rear-seat. This way, I can avoid carrying these sort of things inside my bags and instead just lash them to the outside for the brief time I need the extra capacity).

HTH