Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2012, 07:42 AM   #1
Mikepotter86 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
R 100 RT Seat Latch Photos/Specs requested!

I recently inherited my Father's 1981 R100 RT, and it needs a good bit of work.

Dad wasn't exactly detail oriented, so there are a number of things that have gone ignored in the last 25 years on the bike, which in his mind, did not impact the ability of the bike to be ridden.

One of the things on this list that I've found most puzzling is that the seat latch does not work, so the seat is never locked in place.

The key turns the mechinism which should lock the seat, but the mechanism is nowhere close to the grooved spike (for lack of a better word) on the seat.

I have a feeling something is missing, or something is broken, but I am not sure what as I don't have an example of a working one. Can anybody point me in the direction of resources on how this latch should look and work?

Thanks!
Mikepotter86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:54 AM   #2
some_guy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
The grooved pin on my seat was pushed up into the seat pan. Some gentle prying got it bent back out and it latches. If i remember right you do not need the key (or lock) to get it to latch.
some_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:57 AM   #3
Mikepotter86 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I think mine might be bent towards the right side of the bike or something, it goes far enough down, but seems too far to the right side of the hole to ever latch on the mechnism. Either that or I am missing something.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:33 AM   #4
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 7,960

The main body of the latch mechanism shown as number 3 here also will come apart some more. Inside is the lever that engages the pin attached to the seat pan. This is not a separate part. I I could not find a picture of it. If you push on the button, #18, the lever inside the main body moves.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341

disston screwed with this post 12-26-2012 at 08:38 AM
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:53 AM   #5
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 2,649
The pin itself can be adjusted further down if it's not going far enough into the locking mechanism to catch. Just remove the cone shaped piece and you will see the lock nut. The plate it catches on in the locking mechanism can also be so worn that the notch will not hold. There's also a remote chance that the spring which holds that plate against the notch is broken or installed incorrectly. Look down at the hole and push the release button, the plate should move out of the way and spring back when it's released.
Big Bamboo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:31 PM   #6
some_guy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Sorry if these aren't that great.

Make sure the spring is in the correct position is the only gotcha I can see. It should be in this position, not like the pictures above.
some_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:38 PM   #7
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 2,649
We should mention that the spring shown, if correctly positioned, is under pressure on assembly, which makes it somewhat of a bitch. It helps to have the third hand hold it while you start the screws.
Big Bamboo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:51 PM   #8
Thickasabrick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Seat Latch

Very good pics! Mine was apart and I was trying to figure out how the spring plays it's tensioning role.
Thickasabrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:10 PM   #9
Mikepotter86 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for all the great info, guys. Mine is definitely missing some pieces!
Old 12-28-2012, 10:42 AM   #10
riggpigg
Known,but not famous

Oddometer: 132
I just installed my lock on my R90/6 I assembled it and squeezed it together and put it in a vice to hold it together. I then used a single strand of thin mechanics wire to wraparound the assembly and tightened it. I then could hold it in place on the frame, and start the two screws. After the screws were started I then cut and removed the wire and finished tightening up the screws. I did this after fighting the four pieces and trying to keep the spring in the correct position for a while. I had to slide the wire towards the front of the bike a tad to clear the lock but it worked like a champ. Good luck.
riggpigg is offline   Reply With Quote