Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 12:05 PM   #16
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,445
I've modified my stock skidplate to float on the crashbars, disconnecting it from the engine entirely. I've got the SW Motech bars, which have a flat crossbar under the skidplate. In a normal installation, the skidplate is mounted to the motor via the rubber isolation mounts, and the crossbar sits under that, spaced off about in inch. I removed the rubber isolation mounts and bolted the skidplate directly to the crossbar. At the back, I cut two .75" slots in the plate and use a pair of hose clamps to connect to the catylitic converter mounts. I placed a piece of heavy 1" rubber, cut to fit, between the motor and skidplate as an impact absorber. The system works pretty well, I've taken some impressive hits to the assembly and it is holding up.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #17
mrt10x OP
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,182
Well in typical fashion I threw money at the problem and simply bought the Black Dog Skidplate... wonderful folks to deal with OBTW, I had a 45 minute conversation with them on a variety of topics. I will probably just leave the snapped off bolts in there. If I do decide to sell the bike someday I will cross that bridge at that time.

T/E I just need to send you a PM ever time I screw up something, you always have a good solution.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #18
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post

T/E I just need to send you a PM ever time I screw up something, you always have a good solution.
If I've got a good solution to a problem, its usually because I've tried every bad idea first.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:58 AM   #19
mrt10x OP
Dumba$s Jarhead

So there is the picture.. as you can see..broken off EZ out and the failed attempt to re-drill for the next larger EZ out.
Despite the fact that I have already pulled the trigger on the Black Dog skid plate, mostly because I love the design, I will still try and remedy this situation for future resale issues. As I look at the picture it occurs to me that there may be some bolt actually sticking out of the threads where the rubber and washer are.. you cant see the washer in the pic, it is between the rubber and the engine block. I will take a closer look at it this weekend.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:31 PM   #20
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,803
Quote:

So there is the picture.. as you can see..broken off EZ out and the failed attempt to re-drill for the next larger EZ out.
Despite the fact that I have already pulled the trigger on the Black Dog skid plate, mostly because I love the design, I will still try and remedy this situation for future resale issues. As I look at the picture it occurs to me that there may be some bolt actually sticking out of the threads where the rubber and washer are.. you cant see the washer in the pic, it is between the rubber and the engine block. I will take a closer look at it this weekend.
From the pic it looks like you simply broke the rubber bumper in half. Did you try grabbing the metal disk on the top of the bumper with a vise grip and loosening?
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #21
mrt10x OP
Dumba$s Jarhead

well I had to cut the bumper down to get to the bolt.. Is the metal disk hard attached to the stud on the top? I have changed the oil on the bike a half dozen times but I honestly never looked that closely at the bumper... the metal disk/washer is definitely still there... I will give it a shot.. will heat make it easier to break free?
Old 12-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #22
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,393
Quote:
well I had to cut the bumper down to get to the bolt.. Is the metal disk hard attached to the stud on the top? I have changed the oil on the bike a half dozen times but I honestly never looked that closely at the bumper... the metal disk/washer is definitely still there... I will give it a shot.. will heat make it easier to break free?
I thought you had already broken the disc off the threaded stud.

Typically they are constructed like this:

You should be able to grab the od of the steel disc with channel locks and turn out.
It might help to cut away as much rubber and heat with a torch flame first.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:42 PM   #23
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 12,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten View Post
From the pic it looks like you simply broke the rubber bumper in half. Did you try grabbing the metal disk on the top of the bumper with a vise grip and loosening?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Addict View Post
I thought you had already broken the disc off the threaded stud.

Typically they are constructed like this:

You should be able to grab the od of the steel disc with channel locks and turn out.
It might help to cut away as much rubber and heat with a torch flame first.

This
Old 12-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #24
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Quote:
Absolutely. If BMW put threadlocker on at the factory, heat will make all the difference in the world.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #25
erkmania
Still Adventuring

Oddometer: 807
I'm glad others posted about this already. In my mind, the skidplate mount shown is similar to window regulator mounts that are used in BMW cars. They're basically 2 studs welded to 2 washers that have a rubber cushion between them. You're lucky since it looks like you simply tore the cushion and left behind the washer/stud that's screwed into the sump. I think you're golden.

So, how much for your new (and uneeded) skid plate.

2011 BMW R1200GS, 2004 KTM 950, 1996 ATK 605 ESDS
erkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:06 PM   #26
EScott
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
I did the same thing to one of mine when I tried to mount my new Altrider plate.. I'm not sure, but I think those bolts are set up as "sacrificial" items to prevent too much force from being transferred into the motor case.. I also believe you should be able to grab that one with some vice-grips or something similar and unscrew it from the case with some care and a bit of luck.. Replacements for these are cheap, I picked up a few extras while I was at the dealer..
EScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:56 PM   #27
tjt94
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 558
You probably can just use some plumbers pliers on it. I wondered about if you ripped the rubber mount in half and were trying to retrieve the stud that is part of it. These are really cheap and easy to replace.
tjt94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:34 AM   #28
aGremlin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Another picture for you:

Old 12-06-2012, 07:05 AM   #29
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by aGremlin View Post
Another picture for you:

Ha Ha, a happy ending!
Old 12-09-2012, 08:47 PM   #30
aGremlin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Addict View Post
Ha Ha, a happy ending!
Eh? I'm not OP, I just posted another picture to help...