Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
hhkiwi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Looking for a QUIET helmet - any suggestions?

I'm in the market for a new helmet. What I am after is a regular full face helmet, preferably a solid color, rather than any fancy graphics.

I currently use a HJC which I find very comfortable BUT it is noisy as hell at freeway speeds - after six hours at 75 mph I am practically deaf. I also have an AGV modular helmet which isn't much better in terms of noise - plus the ventilation on that one is seriously lacking.

So I am after a helmet this time that won't render me deaf after a few hours on the freeway. I would like to add a bluetooth comms set at some stage so I guess a reasonable noise level is important to allow for that to work.

Can anyone recommend a helmet that is reasonably quiet at freeway speeds?
hhkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:34 PM   #2
blackripley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
I have had the same question, here is what Ive come up with. Fit, fit,fit I cant say it enough the way a helmet fits is going it make a big difference on noise you get. Also venting the more vents that get hit by wind the more noise is going to be made. The right shape for angel of of riding poisson, I had crazy buffeting on the harley with my race helmet.
blackripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:36 PM   #3
QBZ
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Sell those helmets and get a Schuberth C3. You can try one at Beachmoto they're close to you. I got mine there.
The guy Dennis there is cool. I just got the SRC and it has been great. I used sony ear buds with mic for a while until I could afford the SRC.
QBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:41 PM   #4
HAYVIATOR
Don't be me dude.

Oddometer: 293
plug your holes

I've got several helmets, all comfy, costs ranging from $200-650 and none are "quiet" when at speed for duration. If quiet is needed, ear plugs seem to be the only real solution.
HAYVIATOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:21 PM   #5
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,747
what about one of the skirts that attaches to the underside of the helmet? i dont k ow if they make universal fit ones or not but it would eliminate a lot of noise.

vwboomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:49 PM   #6
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhkiwi View Post
I'm in the market for a new helmet. What I am after is a regular full face helmet, preferably a solid color, rather than any fancy graphics.

I currently use a HJC which I find very comfortable BUT it is noisy as hell at freeway speeds - after six hours at 75 mph I am practically deaf. I also have an AGV modular helmet which isn't much better in terms of noise - plus the ventilation on that one is seriously lacking.

So I am after a helmet this time that won't render me deaf after a few hours on the freeway. I would like to add a bluetooth comms set at some stage so I guess a reasonable noise level is important to allow for that to work.

Can anyone recommend a helmet that is reasonably quiet at freeway speeds?
What bike are you riding? If you have a windscreen, lose it. Most helmets are designed to sit in clean flowing air, not the turbulent mess that a windscreen leaves behind it.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:30 AM   #7
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRtastic View Post
I've got several helmets, all comfy, costs ranging from $200-650 and none are "quiet" when at speed for duration. If quiet is needed, ear plugs seem to be the only real solution.

What he said.

No helmet is going to provide adequate hearing protection.

If you don't like the foamies, I certainly don't, get some custom one's made.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:38 AM   #8
Smoke Eater 3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Ear plugs

The quietest I've used is my Arai Quantum. My favorite helmet is my Suomy. It is light and comfy but really loud. Ear plugs are your best bet for quiet.
Smoke Eater 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:48 AM   #9
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,357
If you're going to get BT comms at some point, then you may as well go ahead and get some custom earmold speakers. They'll block a lot of noise and let you hear your BT much better than trying to hear BT speakers through a pair of earplugs.

Riding with no hearing protection - no matter what helmet you have - will eventually give you hearing loss. The low frequency noise from wind is a lot louder than you think, even in the quietest helmet.

And if you try to ride with a BT setup and no hearing protection, you'll go deaf even faster. Turning up BT speakers so you can hear them over wind noise, when you have no earplugs in, might seem like an okay volume level when you're doing it, but in reality, it will be loud enough to really damage your hearing.

I haven't tried these yet, but at $45, I'm getting a set for my g/f for Christmas.

http://www.earfuze.com/

I already have 3 sets of expensive in-ear monitors for myself, or I would definitely be ordering an EarFuze set for myself to try.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:54 AM   #10
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,859
Shoei Qwest

I have a Shoei Qwest. It's pretty quiet. I also wear foam ear plugs, or noise-reducing earbuds with music. The downside of a quiet helmet such as the Qwest is that is has poor venting. In the summer, it's hard to cool off your noggin, and in the winter it's hard to get enough air to clear the visor without having a Pinlock. Just my $0.02.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:58 AM   #11
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwboomer View Post
what about one of the skirts that attaches to the underside of the helmet? i dont k ow if they make universal fit ones or not but it would eliminate a lot of noise.
I find the skirt doesn't reduce the noise appreciably, but it does keep the face and neck much warmer!
kbuckey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:27 AM   #12
montanaman
Traveler

Oddometer: 171
+1 on the Qwest.

I have had my Shoei Qwest for about a year and I really like it. Fit and finish is great and it is rated as one of the "quieter" lids out there. I just installed a pin-lock visor for the cold weather and we will have to see how that goes..
Old 12-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #13
hhkiwi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Thanks for the feedback so far. A few points in response:

1. I ride a naked 2007 Sportster - no screen.
2. I am obviously aware that no helmet will provide complete silence, particularly at speed, but from some of the helmet reviews I've read there appear to be significant differences between makes and models as far as noise levels are concerned.
3. I hate ear plugs - not the plugs themselves (I have good/comfortable ones from my time in the army) but I can't stand the fact of not being able to hear properly. The helmet already reduces hearing and with ear plugs I feel too isolated. Some may consider this irrational but that's the way it is for me...
4. In my experience there is no consistent relationship between comfort and noise (my HJC is a perfect fit and very comfortable but also very noisy) or vents and noise (it seems that some helmet manufacturers can design effective vents without making the helmets too noisy).
5. I love the Schuberth but it is simply out of my price range.

I did a bit of research last night and found that the Bell RS-1 scores very well, low noise levels included. That helmet would still be in my price range - is anyone using that helmet?

hhkiwi screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 10:22 AM Reason: Typos
hhkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:55 AM   #14
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,996
Lots of helmet & helmet noise info at Webbikeworld:
Old 12-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #15
jsb223
ADV Rookie

Oddometer: 1,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhkiwi View Post
Thanks for the feedback so far. A few points in response:

3. I hate ear plugs - not the plugs themselves (I have good/comfortable ones from my time in the army) but I can't stand the fact of not being able to hear properly. The helmet already reduces hearing and with ear plugs I feel too isolated. Some may consider this irrational but that's the way it is for me...
I actually hear better on the bike WITH earplugs.

Yes if I try and chat with another rider at a stop light it can be a problem but
my riding mileage capabilities easily tripled with the noise fatigue from before.
jsb223 is offline   Reply With Quote